cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Care Call

Isawitall
Grafter

Windows Care Call

I have only had my plusnet phone a week, i never supply my phone number to anyone online and i have only given it to my very personal friends (family etc).
This morning 11.30 i receive a call from 'WINDOWS CARE' Huh?Huh
eastern accent,
" Hello im calling from Windows Care "
Me;      "eh ?"
Callcentre ;  "Youre computer is sending us error messages"
Me ;    "What you on about, my PC isnt turned on"
Callcentre;  " Switch on your PC"
Me;  " Sorry i'm busy"
Callcentre;  " we can call back"
Me ;  "Later today ? "
Callcentre;  "We close at 1.pm"
Me;  "ok tomorrow then"
Callcentre;  " Tomorrow morning " 
Blimey !  how on earth have these scammers got my number ?
I really am annoyed by this,  But my question is where to go from here ?Huh
Anyone had this happen to them ?
Thanks for reading.
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Windows Care Call

This is a fairly well reported scam, from what I can gather, they probably ring random numbers, can I assume that they did not address you by name?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Isawitall
Grafter

My name was not mentioned at all, ive just done a search on Windows care call and indeed it is a scam.
Question for plusnet, Why wasnt i asked if i wanted an ex dir phoneline ?

lexusuk
Grafter

Yes this is a fairly common scam in recent times.  Your first step would be to register for the Telephone Preference Service here:
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
(Register button at the bottom of the page).
If you have already registered for the TPS and if the calls become more regular then we can take further action to help you.  Let us know if you need any further help with this.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Next time they call. and ask you to switch on your computer ,(cos again, you tell em it  is switched off).... just say.

"Hang on a mo..."
put the phone down somewhere quiet, (not on the "hook")... and wait for about 5 mins before picking it up and checking if they are still there.....
hopefully they will have rung off, getting fed up of waiting.... (and being charged for the call)... if they are still there, say you are sorry, but you had some problems, and "I`ll just go and check to make sure it is still on for you ..."
Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Tell them the screen says 'please wait, configuring update 1 of 27....'
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Isawitall
Grafter

Quote from: walker23
Tell them the screen says 'please wait, configuring update 1 of 27....'

It was actually 80 updates because i hadnt been online since may  Grin
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and when it has finished then kid then along a bit and when  they say just download this setting, tell them that you Linux system wont let you do that, they soon drop out after that
Isawitall
Grafter

From what i read, they remote connect to the pc and install malicious software and chagre you for it.
No chance of them getting my debit card details though Smiley
Maybe i should put the phone next to pc speakers and play the video of the indian rocket which exploded a few months ago  Grin
The TPS can only ask them not to call and since india isnt part of the EU they can ignore any EU laws  Angry.