cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 Survey

shalom2010
Grafter

Windows 8 Survey

I  read an interesting 6 month summary of how Windows 8 is doing at http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-six-month-report-card
This got me thinking, does anyone actually use the Windows 8 Apps?
Since installing Windows 8 I installed Start8 & boot to the desktop. The apps for PC use are, for me, an utter waste of time (I've even tried them on a touch screen & apart from the Maps app, they don't offer anything new).
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Windows 8 Survey

I was called out to help an old friend sort out a new PC they had bought for their company.
It was the first time I'd used Win 8 and I absolutely hated it. I'd go as far as to say I'd refuse to own a machine with it on.
I know there are hacks to make it look like Win 7 but it's a messy workaround.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Abstained, have never used W8.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Also not used W8.
(have difficulty coming to terms with W7, even with XP mode, still cannot get certain 'tools' to run..............so still have XP)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Another non W8 user here too. I have W7 on the desktop PC and XP on the netbook. W7 is a great OS IMO, definitely superior to Vista and very stable too. It's only Home Premium but it's absolutely solid for stability and reliability. M$ really have nailed it with W7. Even with XP I'd get the odd blue screen every now and again but I've only ever forcefully rebooted W7 twice that I can remember. I've still not needed to reformat / reinstall it though and we've had that machine what.. two years now?! People used to slate emachines but I really can't say a bad word about it to be honest as its been a superb bit of kit.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Classic Shell solved it for me (well SWMBO who is the main user). NEVER go to the tiles.
I use W7 whenever I can - rock solid and very useable.
My copy has been installed since the release date, so approaching 4 years now.  Cool
shalom2010
Grafter

Poll amended in view of comments so far - added 'Not Relevant As Never Installed Windows 8' !
Superuser
Superuser

I have set a few Windows 8 machines up , and installed classic shell, all good so far.
Regards
Mike
Mike
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I always have a laugh when I see a Win8 pc in a "business" environment on a tv program, there was on in the office of the head of the FBI office in White Collar and one in Holmes office in Elementary. But I can't see them actually being allowed in a REAL office, with IT support staff.
As to the poll never used it never likely will.
Community Veteran

"Product Placement"  Angry Helps cover production costs of course.  Lips are sealed
Community Veteran

Ahhhh, bring back DOS and Basica!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
alanf
Aspiring Pro

I installed Windows 8 on one of my PCs to try out.  Having done so I now ignore the new interface and after logging in go straight to the W7 style desktop.
The new interface may suit touch -screens but as I am still using mouse and touch-pad it offers no advantages to me.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Have never used Windows 8 and never will use it!
Fixes: 125

Bought a laptop for my daughter's 18th birthday which came with W8 installed. Disliked it intensely as I helped set it up and check that it all worked ok.
My daughter seems happy with it and has adapted to its use quite easily - perhaps it's an age thing Cheesy Undecided
Couldn't really vote in the pole as it stands.
How about a 'Used it once - never again' option Tongue

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: w23
Abstained, have never used W8.

Quote from: shalom2010
Poll amended in view of comments so far - added 'Not Relevant As Never Installed Windows 8' !

Un-abstained now.
Yaaay, We (non-users) are winning!!  Is there a prize for the winners?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.