cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Mobile to Android

Highlighted
Pro

Windows 10 Mobile to Android

With the demise of W 10 mobile imminent I have just got a new Android phone for my wife. The trick now is to transfer everything from one to the other.

Similar OSs have apps that do it all for you but after a lot of time on the internet I cannot see an easy way to do this.

If anyone has achieved this task could they possibly post a few pointers here please?

If I get this wrong I am in serious trouble!

TVMIA

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 28

Re: Windows 10 Mobile to Android

Sorry to say, @TeeGee but I don't think you will find an easy way to do this - unfortunately Windows/Android/Apple are totally different OSes and as such won't accept data from each other in the way you want to do it.

To try and help - exactly what do you want to switch - just contacts, emails, texts or what?

For contacts, AFAIK, you will have to do it manually, but for texts/emails could you not forward these to your phone, then resend them to you wifes' new one?

Did the new phone come with a working SIM? If so, you could send the texts/emails to that number, then switch your original SIM to the new phone?

Just random ideas, but.................🤔

EDIT: To save the hassle with contacts, can you not save them to the SIM - although it is just possible they are already there, I don't really know - again, your proffered search engine might have the answer if you ask it?

John
Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

What phone did you get? Some phones (like Samsung) have an app that allows you to bluetooth some of the information over from old to new.

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 106

Highlighted
Pro

@MisterW 

@Marksfish 

No wonder the Windows 10 phone was such a good deal! Chickens now coming home to roost.

The new phone is a Samsung and they have an excellent app for moving but I have only used it Android to Android.

Contacts are the main thing.  I will see if I can upload them to Google or MS and then bring them back again. Copying the whole caboodle to a computer folder would seem the best start. I have a SIM card reader but I think it only works on Windows XP!!

This reminds me of when a Lotus 123 spreadsheet would not run on Supercalc!

Will report back......

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 7

One program you might want to look at is AndroidSync. It syncs ( via USB) Outlook - Contacts, Calendar, Notes and Tasks - to Android phones. If you have a copy of Outlook, and Windows phone can sync contacts etc to it, the AndroidSync would probably get them across to Android. It's not free but they do claim a 60 day no quibble refund policy. I have a paid for copy which I use to keep my contacts and calendar backed up to the PC  - I don't like the idea of giving all my contacts and calendar details to Google.

Emails should be straightforward if they are held on an IMAP server - they will come across when you put in the new account details. Pictures should also be fairly simple. A USB file transfer from the relevant directory on the Windows phone to a PC, and then the repeat to copy the pictures onto the Android phone. 

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 49

Were the contacts stored in Outlook? The reason I ask is Outlook for Android is available along with numerous other Microsoft apps.
I must have been really bad in a previous life as this was my 3rd ISP in a row that used lithium.
Now you're stuck with me because my new ISP doesn't run a forum Cheesy
Highlighted
Rising Star

If the contacts on the Windows phone are stored on the Microsoft Outlook account you can simply upload them to the Samsung phone in the Contacts app.

Create your Google account as part of the phone set up then once up & running add the Microsoft account to sync your contacts to the phone Contacts app.

Highlighted
Pro
Fixes: 4

@TeeGee wrote:

The new phone is a Samsung and they have an excellent app for moving but I have only used it Android to Android.

Samsung do say that Smart Switch works for Windows phones, so fingers crossed for you.

Highlighted
Pro

@Marksfish wrote:

@TeeGee wrote:

Samsung do say that Smart Switch works for Windows phones, so fingers crossed for you.

This is potentially good news.  When I last used Smart Switch it was downloaded to both phones but prepared to give it a try if I can find the Windows version.

In the meantime all the contacts were automatically saved to outlook.com (found under "people" ) and exported via "Manage" (hidden at top right of screen!). Imported to Google and used their editor to tidy everything up. 

Collecting phone tomorrow Which should result in an interesting day. 

Many thanls to all for suggestions.

Highlighted
Pro

Conclusion!

All the contacts came back in from Google - but without either +44 or the leading zero. At least all the other snumbers were there!

Smart Switch loaded onto the Windows phone but showef little interest in doing anything useful. Not really surprising.

The SD card did not have directories compatible with Samsung which needed a lot of tidying up but the worst bit was that little could be done without taking the card out as nothing could be moved or deletd in situ.

Photos were up;oaded to Google so at least they are visible.

Whatsapp works wonderfully!

Moral of this story is that we should never have bought a Windows phone in the first place. To add insult to injury my sister is picking up a similar phone tomorrow and will have no trouble moving from one Samsung phone to another.  Ggrrrr......!!!

As they used to say at the end of those cartoons - That's all folks!