cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window alarm for summer

David_W
Rising Star

Window alarm for summer

As I've said I live on the bottom floor of an apartment building facing a carpark.  Summer is coming so it's going to get really hot and I'll want to leave the window open at night when I go to sleep.  With that in mind I'm trying to find an alarm for my window that'll register if someone tries to break in whilst I'm asleep.
Most alarms that I found seem to work on the princple that the window should be shut, not that a person will be fast asleep and not hear someone open the window further and steal stuff.
Does anyone know of an alarm that'll work on an open window and detect if someone tries to open the window more?
15 REPLIES
win7xp
Grafter

Re: Window alarm for summer

tie a piece of string from the window to your big toe  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

You might consider the Infra-red PIR type detector/alarm, which will detect movement when switched on, not so good in the room you're sleeping in though if you tend to thrash about in bed.
There used to be types that were disguised as loudspeaker units, so were not too obvious. When I worked for Hoover we tested some that looked quite good, not sure they were ever marketed though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
David_W
Rising Star

It is for a room that'll be used at the time.  To cut a long story short we've been having issues with someone at night throwing stones at the apartment block windows, so feel very insecure about leaving a window open at night, but with summer coming the heat is going to be unbearable so having an open window (or air conditioning) is going to be the only viable option for sleep.
I was hoping there would be a small device which you connect to the arm part, a very tiny electric charge is sent through and it detects contact with the arm and the window frame (assuming they are metal for a moment), if the arm is pulled up (to open the window further) the electric charge is disrupted which fires off the alarm.
Of course, if something like that doesn't exist, time to find a dragon!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You could "rig" this up
http://www.staffpatrol.com/products/homesecurity.htm
so that when/if the window is opened further than you have set it, the movement of the window pulls on a cord that is attached to the pin on the alarm....
Another alternative, is to have your local wrought iron worker make up a "cage" to fit on the outside, or bars on the inside,  so that the window can still be open....
However, I would also get some fine mesh
http://www.easyscreens.co.uk/images/big_screen_fly.jpg
(as used in the old meat safe`s) to prevent any "yobbo" putting stuff in the open window, without actually entering the premises.
Community Veteran

Loads of different types on this Amazon page:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=window+alarm&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=4793045719...

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@David W, If you are on the ground floor of a block of flats Do not leave the window open at night wen you are a sleep get a air conditioning unit.
You do not want to wake up and fine your frote slit.
David_W
Rising Star

I'm lucky enough to live in Cornwall, our murder rate is very low, I think we average 1 murder every 2 years so I'm not too concerned about someone breaking in and murdering me.
The thing with these security systems is they tend to assume the window is closed/locked and you want it kept that way, which is a very good assumption really, an open window is not exactly conductive to good security and last summer we had no problems leaving the window open, it's just since this one guy has been hanging around that my level of confidence in keeping a window open has dropped.  I'm not sure the insurance people would even cover us if they got in through an open window, so it's a search for the perfect device.
Community Veteran

Sounds like a quiet word with your local Police person may be in order.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I'm not sure the insurance people would even cover us if they got in through an open window, so it's a search for the perfect device.

They won't pay out if you leave the window open, it is the same as leaving your keys in the car, they won't pay out your insurance will become null and void.
Sow clos your window.
Community Veteran

As Petlew says, talk to your local police.  They have a dedicated crime reduction officer who will call round and look at your problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It's not just people on the ground floor that need to worry.
We have a bay window with a flat roof below our bedroom window and we always have the fanlight open slightly for for air. Just before Christmas we were woken at 4 in the morning by someone trying to reach in through the fanlight to open one of the side windows. I disturbed him and he ran across the flat roof to jump on to the roof of the next door neighbours car port - which is plastic! Unfortunately he didn't hurt himself when he went through and landed on the car and was able to get away.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

As jelv said: "it's not just people on the ground floor" unless you live on the 3nd,4th, 5th 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th floor and so on, you should clos your window wen a sleep or out of the flat.
SRD
Grafter

Would it not be simpler to have key operated locks on your main window to prevent it being opened from outside and key operated locks on your fanlights to allow them to be locked into any open position you choose?  This wouldn't prevent stuff being thrown in from outside but, unless there's a history of such vandalism in your area, it is unlikely that that will be a problem.  For stuff being thrown from any distance a simple insect gauze will stop that.  Any alarm system will require action on your behalf even if it's only to turn the damned thing off at dawn after a bird lands on it whilst looking for food.
Other possibilities would be to apply continental style louvred shuttering either on the outside or inside, again secured by a lock.  This works well with sliding windows but not so good with hinged.
David_W
Rising Star

We do have locks on the arm, but they only lock the arm into place when the window is shut, it would be so much easier if they could lock the arm into place when the window was open.
Motion detectors, I think they would move in a breeze and wake everyone up, so the solution needs to be elegant and simple.... maybe an alarm with a cord, the alarm part goes inside and the cord is stuck on the open window, if the cord is cut/removed the alarm goes off, maybe it could be stuck on with a suction cup and have a spring loaded windup thing so if the cord gets stretched it'll beep, if the cord is unhooked it'll wind up and beep.