cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windfarm Contract

geoffp0
Grafter

Windfarm Contract

Harwich International Port has jus been awarded the contract for the use of some of the port for storage of wind turbine and associated towers ect. for the massive new windfarm that they are going to build at the mouth of the River Thames the farm is called the "Thanes Array" and will be the largest off shore windfarm around the UK.
I was talking to one of the Siemens engineers who is testing the turbines on the 140 turbine windfarm just off of Harwich and he was saying that as soon as the wind drops below a certain speed the turbines come off line.
It seems one hell of a lot of money to spend out if it only works when it is really windy, what does other members think, I know an alternative to coal and oil has to be found.
I can just visualise East Anglia sitting watching match of the day and then the wind drops, one big black out Grin
Geoff
17 REPLIES
Denzil
Grafter

Re: Windfarm Contract

This is why we have a national grid  Smiley. You're right, we can't rely on one windfarm to be generating all the time, but nobody is suggesting that we can rely on wind power alone. If it isn't windy in Harwich then the chances are it will be somewhere else. Also, no other kind of power station has 100% availability. We achieve reliability by having a mix of different generation plant spread across the country. Renewables will be no different - wind, wave, solar, hydro etc. would all contribute.
Fixes: 47

I heard something about this on BBC Radio Sheffield today apparently they feed more into the national grid than they take from it.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I am surprised no mention of them giving the Thames build to the top end of the country, only storage at Harwich
geoffp0
Grafter

The turbines, blades, pods ect. for the Thames Array are being fabricated in Norway as far as I can gather, at the moment all of the parts for the Greater Gabbard farm is fabricated in Denmark and heavy lift ship arrives in Harwich every week with a set of four turbines ect on board.
There are four jack up rigs based in Harwich that carries the sets out to the windfarm site, so I guess that the same will happen with the Thames Array.
Below is a photo of the BBC Konan arriving in Harwich with the pods as deck cargo ant the turbines in the hold
Geoff
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

In terms of cost and efficiency there can be little justification in building these wind farms all over the place.
I feel sorry for anyone who is blighted with these things which I believe will turn out to be one of the biggest wastes of money ever.
They even put these things up in or near our National parks, can't think that will attract many tourists !
geoffp0
Grafter

I am in total agreement with you gleneagles, they built a small windfarm at the Gunfleet Sands, just a couple of miles off the beach at Clacton on Sea, what used to be a decent sea view is no longer so, you just have rows and rows of windmills going round and round, spoilt the view from all of the hotel rooms. Angry
Geoff
Community Veteran

Quote from: geoffp0
..., you just have rows and rows of windmills going round and round, spoilt the view from all of the hotel rooms. Angry
Geoff

Sounds idyllic - I wonder if the people living around Norfolk a couple of hundred years ago complained about the spoiled view of all those windmills - not to mention the dikes and canals.  And what about those people living around Norfolk and Suffolk,  when the land was spoiled by all those vandals digging up the peat.  Completely spoiled the landscape when all the holes filled up with water.
Maybe I'm the odd one out, but I think the site of turbines off shore is quite scenic - with blades gently turning, and the waves lapping on the seashore (as the rain comes down and we huddle under our umbrellas) it's what being British is all about  Wink
John
geoffp0
Grafter

Hi John, As with the "Peat Digging" life has to go on and progress has to be made, I am not totaly against windfarms except that maybe they should be a little out to sea, The "Gabbard Farm" is outside the 12 mile limit and can only be seen on a very clear day. maybe when you are in the area call into Clacton and have a look.
I have been lucky enough to go inside one of these "Windmills" there is a lift to take you from the landing platform upto the turbine, inside the turbine housing there is a step up gearbox, hydraulic brake, all of the electronic control gear and of course the turbine, believe me it is spectacular
If you are in Harwich you can see all the turbines ect. being stored until they are shipped out to the windfarm.
Geoff
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Seimens have said they will build a factory at Hull and GE are thought to be going to build one near Newcastle,  nothing for the SE
Community Veteran

I live in Essex and have been to that part of the coast lots of times (I prefer Walton because it's less busy).  Perhaps it's just me, but even on land there's something about the blades of a windmill going round that is attractive.  Undecided
John
David_W
Rising Star

I read an article once on The Register (can't find link to article) which stated to meet our current and future needs with pure renewable (wind, hydro, no nuclear/coal/gas) we would basically have to cover the entire country in wind farms and hydro plants and what-not, and if we did do that, we still wouldn't produce enough electricity to keep us going so would have to import from mainland Europe.  What we need is cheap electricity, Nuclear is cheap and clean (if it doesn't explode) and I'm sure I read somewhere about how some power plants can actually use the waste from a Nuclear plant to produce more energy.
Having wind farms, solar panels, hydro electric, tidal machines and what-not is all good and well, but if we need either to import from abroad or to build power stations to pick up the slack, what is the point?  Why not just go Nuclear?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I think you are talking about the thorium based reactor http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium_fuel_cycle
tinto
Grafter

The question the farm off Harwich must be how often and for how long does the wind drop below the power needed to drive the turbines?.  I'm a hillwalker, I live in Scotland, and it doesn't seem to matter now which hill or mountain I'm on, I can always see at least two windfarms.  Europe's largest on shore farm is quite near me on Eaglesham Moor, close to the M77, and it has a visitor/ school education centre, as well as the roads round the site being open to walkers, cyclists, riders etc.  I visited it once but found the constant "Whoosh Whoosh" sound of the blades very off putting, and I'm still undecided as to their value
HighLordPhanty
Grafter

Quote from: David
Having wind farms, solar panels, hydro electric, tidal machines and what-not is all good and well, but if we need either to import from abroad or to build power stations to pick up the slack, what is the point?  Why not just go Nuclear?

All of the people who designed reactors in Britain are dead or retired, so that doesn't really address your problem. Also we have no uranium.