cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind turbines wasting energy

John_Hull
Aspiring Pro

Wind turbines wasting energy

I don't often laugh out loud at the radio - I often shout, but rarely laugh, but yesterday I was listening to LBC in the car, and the presenter (Nick Ferrari) read out a tweet that he'd received on the subject of wind turbines. Old Nick had been complaining about the Labour Party plan to almost double the number of wind turbines across the country, and the lady had tweeted that she hated wind turbines, because they waste so much energy turning the blades. Nick Ferrari read it out without comment, or even a tremble of laughter in his voice, but I nearly had to pull over I was laughing so much

It's right up there with the lady I heard on the radio a few years ago, saying that we don't need any more wind farms, because we have enough wind already. Cheesy

6 REPLIES 6
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Wind turbines wasting energy

They walk among us Grin

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Like there being no shepherd's pies in the shops because there's a shortage of shepherds now we are leaving the EU.

Champnet
Champion
Fixes: 7

Shepherds are a local produce, aren’t they ?

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@John_Hull wrote:

.. Old Nick had been complaining about the Labour Party plan to almost double the number of wind turbines across the country, and the lady had tweeted that she hated wind turbines, because they waste so much energy turning the blades. Nick Ferrari read it out without comment, or even a tremble of laughter in his voice, ...

@John_Hull

Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

As it happens I was up on my kitchen flat roof yesterday, and as forecast, there was hardly any wind (supposedly around 4mph).

There are several wind-farms visible from our location, and looking at the one I could see from my viewpoint, most of the blades were stationary.  However a few were turning slowly (ISTR about three or four), and that seems to be the norm on (almost) windless days.  My guess is that the rotor is 'feathered' because I guess there wouldn't be enough strength in the wind to turn it against the resistance of the generator if it was actually trying to generate, and I assume they allow a few blades to turn to give the illusion to the general population that green energy is being generated when it actually isn't.

If you care to Google you will find accounts of wind turbines using power for various reasons, e.g.
Energy consumption in wind facilities

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

It's probably the same as any turbines, aircraft, wind etc. By keeping them slowly turning you save the bearings when they do start to move. And they don't put wind turbines where the wind doesn't ever blow. I've stood on Skegness beach to see All the turbines turning. And that is a lot out at sea.

But yes, you need some power for the generating equipment (ALL generators use some power) but efficiency isn't the be all and end all. WindEnergyfactsheet.pdf . And of course wind is overtaking coal renewables-power-coal-2017-uk-figures

But you cannot beat nuclear for shear size to output. I used to live in Somerset, not far from Hinkley point. The size of the building compared to how much is generated (2 x 655 MW), well its very difficult to see until up close.
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@idonno wrote:
But you cannot beat nuclear for shear size to output. I used to live in Somerset, not far from Hinkley point. The size of the building compared to how much is generated (2 x 655 MW), well its very difficult to see until up close.

"That's because they are far away Dougal".