cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind Farms

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wind Farms

Would you want a wind turbine a mile from your home.
Supposing it came with an offer of "free electricity" for the life of the turbine? would it make a difference in your decision.
Think I'd be tempted at "free electricity", anything less would be No.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22791815
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Wind Farms

Personally I wouldn't want a wind turbine near my home.  I see that in Scotland they offered £122 per household per annum which isn't a lot IMO.
I don't think wind turbines are the answer to our future energy needs.  I still feel nuclear is the way to go.
Fixes: 104

Agree with artmo, it's not the future.
One thing I've never read is the effect that absorbing the winds energy like this has on the weather or the environment it's meant to be saving...
if I were to have one near my house I'd need at least a 75% reduction in my electricity bill, isn't 122 about a 1/12th of the average bill?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I know this will be controversial with many of you but it really wouldn't bother me!
I find the things quite fascinating if I'm honest and love driving past our local wind farm where I can get a glimpse of them! So much so that when they were being built, we stopped at the site entrance one sunday to try and get some photos from the distance. The sole security guard came over to ask us what we were doing and then offered us a ride to see them up close. Needless to say we jumped at the chance and I got quite a few pics:
From the site entrance:

Don't ask how these short cranes do it..  even the telescopic one doesn't reach the hub:

Turbine unit up close:

A blade up close:

Yes, those small (in comparison to the blade) bolts really are all that holds the blades:

Standing approx 20 - 30 metres away from the base and looking up - it's huge:

Does nobody else find these things fascinating? - I think they're stunning pieces of engineering. Not only do they provide natural energy they're clean too and lets face it, who ever complained about windmill being in their neighbourhood?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 125

Quote from: Sprite
Does nobody else find these things fascinating?
Nope.
The only local windmill I like is the one at Herne which I visited a few years back and found that fascinating. I hate the look of the wind turbines and feel they blot the landscape. We've got hundreds just off the coast also which completely spoil the view.
Having said that if they wanted to put one on top of the house with the promise of free electricity for life then I probably would go for it. After all, I'd only have to see it on the way home Cheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

To counterbalance the BBC report http://www.eureferendum.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=84008
However, the BBC is doing its best to gild the lilly, telling us that the measure will see a five-fold rise in the benefits paid by developers to communities hosting wind farms. The current £1,000 per MW of installed capacity per year thus increases to £5,000 per MW per year, for the lifetime of the wind farm.
Subsidies worth about £100,000 a year from a medium-sized farm could be used to reduce energy bills. For example, a scheme run by the wind farm company RES at its Meikle Carewe operation, near Aberdeen, will see local residents get £122 off their annual electricity bills.
Strangely, though, what the BBC doesn't mention is that, if a community gets £100,000 a year, the developer will get £2 million a year in subsidies on top of £2 million for their electricity, representing a 20-fold increase in cost to the wider community. As always, therefore, people are being bribed with other people's money.
On top of that, of course, the communities suffer loss of property values, nuisance and loss of amenity value. Yet scenery is a valuable asset, fuelling a £60 billion tourist industry. This is to be thrown away in order to make a few windmill developers very rich.
Community Veteran

They are a blot on the landscape and for what little contribution they make to the total energy supply they are also an expensive waste of money.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
We've got hundreds just off the coast also which completely spoil the view.

I know there are some off Whitstable but I certainly wouldn't say it's hundreds. As for the view.. of what? - The endless amount of sea? Strangely no-one complains about those old fortress towers that are also off whitstable but a few wind turbines (in this anti pollution age) seems to really rock the boat. Odd.
Community Veteran

I'd far sooner see tidal power utilised rather than wind.
After all, we have ?2000 miles of coastline and tides that go in and out twice a day ad infinitum.
Wind power - not for me.
Geoff,
York.
DaveyH
Pro

We have loads of turbines in my part of the country ( on and offshore), and apart from being a blot on the landscape, the majority of the time they're idle and not producing any  power.

We've got hundreds just off the coast also which completely spoil the view.

I know there are some off Whitstable but I certainly wouldn't say it's hundreds. As for the view.. of what? - The endless amount of sea? Strangely no-one complains about those old fortress towers that are also off whitstable but a few wind turbines (in this anti pollution age) seems to really rock the boat. Odd.

It appears that there are exactly 100 - seems like many more to me Wink
The Church of St Mary's was built in the 7th century on the site of an old Roman Fort with the towers added several hundred years later. The church was almost completely demolished in the early 19th century but the towers remained as they were easily recognised by seafarers as a landmark.
I like looking at the endless miles of sea - somewhat tranquil and, in a way, humbling.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

The Church of St Mary's was built in the 7th century on the site of an old Roman Fort with the towers added several hundred years later. The church was almost completely demolished in the early 19th century but the towers remained as they were easily recognised by seafarers as a landmark.

Shocked Mav forgive me but I must ask.. what are you on about?
I was talking of these:

No-one seems to bat an eye lid at these old wrecks being out there but a few wind turbines upsets everyone?

Shocked Mav forgive me but I must ask.. what are you on about?

My mistake - saw the word towers and assumed you were talking about those in the photo below. I forgot about the Maunsell Forts - quite ugly but part of the history of the area. Perhaps, in time, the wind turbines will become part of local history. Sooner rather than later Tongue

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: artmo
They are a blot on the landscape and for what little contribution they make to the total energy supply they are also an expensive waste of money.

I totally agree with you.
dlloyd
Grafter

I have to agree with Sprite,  I find them to be very interesting and I find them a marvel to look at when the sun in setting.
They have recently built five wind turbines in my local area and I find them fascinating.