cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind Farms

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Wind Farms

Seems the Government might at last be listening to the general population as recent Newspaper articles indicate no further wind farms will be built.
Best news I have heard for a while
20 REPLIES
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Wind Farms

I would like to see the goverment do more with water, the uk seams to be getting alot of wetter periods lately and reports of more flooding, well aint it about time we looked into using all this extra water for power or somthing?
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran

On the opposite side of the fence, I find windfarms and turbines fascinating. I was always fascinated by windmills too.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I Guess a lot of people who have got a wind farm on the opposite side of their fence would not agree with you !
The only thing that fascinates me about these things is the amount of money they add to my electricity bill !  Wink
Community Veteran

You're right there gleneagles.  The subject was discussed on the radio this morning and a 'green ' individual was interviewed.  He couldn't say how much was added to our bills but didn't argue when the interviewer said nearly £100 per year. They are a blight on the landscape and contribute very little to our energy supplies.  It was stated they cost £2m each and have to be switched off in high winds to prevent damage to the blades Roll eyes
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
On the opposite side of the fence, I find windfarms and turbines fascinating. I was always fascinated by windmills too.

I live between the two largest windfarms in the UK, and both are visible from my home.  Blacklaw to the northeast has 48 turbines, the other, Whitelees with, I think, 75,  and the second largest in Europe, lies to the west, and there are plans to extend both. There are another three smaller windfarms within five or six miles,  and about half an hour down the M74 there's yet another with 30 odd turbines and more being built, so Sprite, move to Lanarkshire and fill your boots.  At first most people wereprepared to tolerate them as a necessary evil, but the craze seems to have gotten out of hand. Our First minister has a bee in his bonnet about renewable energy over fossil fuel or nuclear generated power so nowadays  you can hardly go onto any hill over 500M in  Scotland without seeing these monstrosities whichever direction you look.  Both landowners and generating companies receive huge subsidies for windfarms so they're proliferating like fleas.  These subsidies are paid whether or not they are actually producing energy, and a lot of the time they're not.  If the wind is too strong they're shut down, if there's no wind, they're shut down, there's a lot of downtime for maintainance  too, and it seems the working life of turbines is proving to shorter than expected, so many are already being replaced.
Renewable energy may be a good thing, but you can get too much of a good thing and I think we've passed that point   
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If wind turbines were a viable source of electricity and every house within 1km of a wind turbine were to be given free electricity, folk would be clamouring for wind turbines to be built in their backyard.
They are not, so it isn't and they aren't. Grin Grin
Community Veteran

Compare the uncertainty of wind farms with the announcement today from Hitachi.  They have announced the building of 2 nuclear power stations which will supply enough power for 14 million homes.  A much better way to go.
David_W
Rising Star

From what I've read, wind turbines are useless.  They don't work when there is not enough wind and in fact require power at these times, and of course they don't work when there is too much wind, also requiring power.  It's also not a system you can just switch on when required, you may have no wind at all during peak rate when the national grid needs more electricity yet be running full pelt when everyone is in bed so no one needs any power.....
Now what would be nice, and reasonably safe, is getting a grid above the Earth in space, huge pillars put in Africa, South America and Indonesia which support a huge solar powered grid running around the Equator, it gets lots of sunlight 24/7 which is then channelled down through the pillars and then distributed throughout the world, other uses for the pillars would be a space elevator.  Won't happen in our life times but maybe in the distant future when the world learns to make peace.
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I think nuclear fusion will come along before that ever happened, David, in my opinion. Also in space there are drawbacks for equipment, with highly charged particles hitting it or other objects hitting it, like all the debris from comets that hit the earth every year (meteor showers) and all the other space debris.
David_W
Rising Star

Well yeah, it's technically really, really difficult to pull off, especially as the tectonic plates on the Earth itself are moving (really slowly) so over time it would tear itself apart, but Concorde was also really, really difficult to pull off and we did that working with the French so anything is possible Cheesy
RPMozley
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Grin
Community Veteran

I still don't understand why we can't somehow draw energy from the magnetic poles of the earth..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

Deplete that energy source and we are in trouble Shocked
A Magalluf sun tan will not come close Cheesy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

I can understand Hampshires point of view where they say outright that they will not allow wind farms to be built on any council land.
As many things like housing take priority.
Pity some sort of electricity generating pressure device can't be made to put under paving slabs. All those walking people could be put to good use. And all those speed bumps on the roads.
Make the people generate their own electricity then charge them for it. The government would appreciate the logic in that.