Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 10 to Win 11 app pulled

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Win 10 to Win 11 app pulled

Caught this on the Daily Express site..

Even high spec computers/laptops may not be able to run Windows 11... according to the Microsoft check tool app.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/1457224/Windows-10-fans-angry-and-confused-a...

Well worth a read through that article, and some of the comments  at the end...

Makes you wonder about how good this new WIndows 11 will be... viz a viz  updates ( i.e. corrections to badly written code )  when you read this "excuse" as to why the check tool app is not working properly..

Microsoft has now revealed they are pulling the app until later this year. a smoke and mirrors explanation as to why the badly coded app is faulty...

A Windows Insider blog post said: "Based on the feedback so far, we acknowledge that it was not fully prepared to share the level of detail or accuracy you expected from us on why a Windows 10 PC doesn’t meet upgrade requirements.

"We are temporarily removing the app so that our teams can address the feedback. We will get it back online in preparation for general availability this fall."

instead of the microsoft app...

In the meantime, the open sourced WhyNotWin11 - which Bleeping Computer highlighted - will also let you know if your PC can run Windows 11 or not.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 202

Re: Win 10 to Win 11 app pulled

@shutter 

It’s a massive leap from the app not giving sufficient detail and Win 11 being unfit for purpose. I suspect that one of the complaints relating to reports that new computers not being able to run Win 10 relates to TPM. Unless a TPM module is installed the app reports not suitable. Some new motherboards require a plug in TPM module. Others, like my motherboard implement it through adding it into the BIOS.

Setting this to on resolved the computer says no initial response. This clearly need clarifying in the app.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1  Agreed with the first part.....but the general impression is there...  if they can`t get a "simple" app coded properly, what does it bode for the more complicated Operating System they are trying to sell....

As another article states... many people who ONLY KNOW ABOUT WINDOWS as a computer operating system...(*i.e. the 90 percent of users with little techy knowledge) will have to fork out for a new computer/laptop to be able to use WINDOWS 11,... and once the support for W10 ends, that will mean a huge boost to curry`s/pcworld (and microsoft`s  coffers from the embedded new o.s. commission rates in the new machines.

I posted this, mainly because many people will assume that there will be a "smooth transition" between OLD WIN 10, to NEW WIN 11.... as has been the case over the past ....

Forewarned, is fore armed, in this case.... so people`s ......  start saving up now,  put a couple of quid a week away towards your NEW WINDOWS... ( and I don`t mean double glazing type ! ! ) ..

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

I agree it’s never ending, the hardware designers invent faster processors with more bells and whistles so the software designers come up with ever complex operating systems to exploit said new functions. Every time a new operating system comes out there is raft of hardware that becomes unable to run it. It’s not just Microsoft, it applies to IOS, Android  etc.

When I first had a computer DOS did everything that I needed but you needed to be a geek to use it properly. I guess that Linux is the natural progression from this minimal hardware standpoint.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@shutter 

When I first had a computer DOS did everything that I needed but you needed to be a geek to use it properly. I guess that Linux is the natural progression from this minimal hardware standpoint.

Ditto.. !   ... and having spent the last few years, becoming a 10th rate geek, in Linux Mint  ( version 8 to current version 20.1 )

A new (ish) Linux is available for the likes of me, who needed some transition from Windows to Linux.  With this O.S. you can run many of the "normal" windows type programs, from the .exe download...  The O.S. is called  ZORIN15 CORE ..... without the need of a lot of the geeky stuff associated with Linux O.S. in general.

It is FREE to download... and USE...  can be "tried out" from the "LIVE USB" install, without ruining your windows,

read all about it here

https://blog.zorin.com/2020/09/08/zorin-os-15-3-is-here/

then go to download ZORIN 15 CORE   click the blue Download button.....

https://zorinos.com/download/

And choose CORE in the top "navigation menu" ...    Burn it to a USB stick... then you can Boot Up to ZORIN and try it out.

NOTE... Once installed on a HDD/SSD....   it is transferable to other machines..... you can take the HDD/SSD and put it in any other machine (with removable HDD/SSD)  and it will run just the same.... unlike WINDOWS.  

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

I'm not anti Linux. I have an old PC with Mint 20 installed, for me to play with and I have fixed up a very old laptop minus its defunct battery for a friends daughter with Mint 19.1. This has/is doing sterling service both during the lockdown home schooling and now for daily homework. Firefox and Libre Office is all that is needed and considering its age (circa 2006) apart from me putting a £19 128GB SSD in place of the HDD is working extremely well.

shutter
Community Veteran

@Baldrick1   Yes, indeedy.... Linux is a lot easier than many think.... but it does take a little while to get used to... about the same time...( or even less ) than getting used to Windows 10 from Win7, I suspect. Smiley

And of course... there is always someone on here to ask questions, if you get stuck....  I mention ZORIN15, because it is easier  to use your favourite Windows progs, than having to install WINE on MINT ....( which can be troublesome  depending on the version of MINT )