cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wimbledon grunts

Fixes: 125

Wimbledon grunts

Been a while since I've watched tennis on TV especially Wimbledon but, armed with my HD 1080 plasma, I sat down to enjoy an afternoon's play.
Watched a little Volandri v Berdych (I've always enjoyed the men's singles more) then switched to Rybarikova v Azarenka.
Boy, what's that girl on? Everytime Azerenka hit the ball it sounded as if she was in the throws of ecstasy. Her grunt lasted until either Rybarikova returned or a fault.
The first couple of times made me giggle then it just became a nuisance so much so that I turned back to the men's singles. If I want to hear that kind of noise there are specific sites that cater for it  Cheesy
So, that leads me to a question...
Inside or outside of sport do you grunt, when and why?
Edit: Keep it clean... Cool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Wimbledon grunts

Good to see Wimbledon back on our screens. Great watching it in HD.  Yesterday I turned down tickets to Centre Court for today - after watching Nadal v Russell I wish I'd gone after all.  Still got tickets for next week to look forward to.
As for the grunting it is very much a female thing in the main.  I think it started in a big way with Monica Selles.  It's funny but it's more noticeable on TV. Watching live it isn't so noticeable.
itsme
Grafter

@mav were any of the games you watched broadcast in HD?

All of them were.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

itsme
Grafter

On which channel? BBC One HD had the Nedal game. Not sure what was BBC HD

IIRC Volandri v Berdych was BBC HD and the others were through the Red button.

Community Veteran

All matches are broadcast in HD.  When BBC1 moved to News the match went over to BBC HD.
itsme
Grafter

Red button is not HD
Community Veteran

I wasn't referring to the red button.  The tennis on BBC1 and BBC HD are the HD transmissions.
Just watched Murry.  Good match.  Kicking myself for not using the tickets today. At £46 each they were a bargain Sad
randpwar
Grafter

artmo - Is that £46 for Centre Court?  If so that is much cheaper than I imagined. You could have been 'under the roof'' as well; you should have gone my friend but I'm sure you'll have a great time next week. Enjoyed the Murray game in HD but just had to track it down; took me a little while to twig that it may be on BBC HD
Community Veteran

randpwar, sorry I was wrong on the price - actually £43 and yes on Centre Court.  Prices increase as the tournament goes on.  Tickets for Mens' Finals are around £150.  An allocation of tickets for the show courts can be purchased at the gates up to the middle of the second week.
Community Veteran

Just found this on the Wimbledon site.
Admission Prices
James
Grafter

I had 4th row seats at the opening day of the Australian Open, absolutely loved it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Question:
Why do professional tennis players find it necessary to towel-down their foreheads and faces at the end of every point. It matters not if its the first set with an ace serve at 15 love or the dying moments of a five set battle. I can think of no other sport that has this strange ritual. And its not just an occasional player...they all do it...why?
I played county class squash and badminton where it was possible to get soaked with perspiration, but towelling-down was really rather rare. Most of us were more concerned with sweaty hands and trying to keep hold of the racquet.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

It just gets them an extra few seconds to recoup before the next point. I think one of the first to do it was Greg Rudeski.