Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wimbledon 2014, Broadcast and Technical Aspects

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Wimbledon 2014, Broadcast and Technical Aspects

Wimbledon 2014 Ticket Prices !!!
Doing some research for the last year we will be providing Technical Resources, Facilities & Staff at Wimbledon, and am amazed at the ticket prices for the 2014 Tournament.
Fortunately, as a Broadcaster, I am privileged not having to pay these prices.
I have sold off one of my Companies, the one that provides the above services to Broadcasters, (not just Wimbledon) as too much time was being taken up in running them all, and the sale enables me to have more time, and money to pursue other interests.
I am however, being retained as Consultant, so I will still have an Access All Areas Pass.
The atmosphere at Wimbledon is brilliant, not only on the Courts, but just wandering around and mingling.
The Broadcast Village, Staff Areas, and the General Public.
I enjoy watching the Matches, both Male & Female, and have made some good friends all around.
Of course, we are involved well before the June 23rd Tournament begins, I will miss the day to day involvement.

Some personal and business decisions have been made in the New Year, I had a couple of snow-bound weeks in Chicago to consider things, one of which is to spend less time on the Forums, thanks to those who have PM'd me to enquire where I was !

I will of course still be contributing the occasional little nugget !
I will be travelling more, with less day to day involvement in the running of the companies, and so less time on the Forums, though I will of course lurk, when internet access is available.
jim:green Title changed to be more explicit mod:end
37 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Wimbledon 2014 et al

Centre Court tickets start from £48 for the 1st Monday to £148 for the final. The prices you have posted are for Debenture seats which I believe @artmo may have access to.
Infinity
Pro

Yes, they are the more expensive Debenture Seats.
As indicated on the Graphic.
http://www.wimbledondebentureholders.com/faqs
http://www.tennisboxoffice.com/index.html
http://www.wimbledondebentureholders.com/buy-wimbledon-tickets/wimbledon-centre-court-tickets
Ballot seats for the Show Courts where you take a chance are less expensive.
And of course, you can queue and Pay on the Day
http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/tickets/201205091336561699698.html

itsme
Grafter

Been trying to find out how many debenture seats there are but not with much success.
[quote=http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon-debenture-holders-make-a-killing-as-tickets-go-through-roof-9129881.html]Making money on your investments has been a challenge for everyone in recent years but some Wimbledon debenture holders have been laughing all the way to the bank. One of the current holders recently sold a 2011-2015 debenture – which cost £27,750 and gives the owner one Centre Court ticket for every day of the Championships for five years – for a remarkable £90,000. With only two years left on the current debentures, that means the purchaser paid £90,000 for 26 Centre Court tickets (one ticket for every day at this year’s and next year’s Championships) at an average cost of £3,462 per ticket.
The top price at this year’s tournament is £148 for a ticket on men’s final day.
Ballots are public are through clubs, again not sure what the percentage split is but you would stand more chance in the club ballots than the public ballot. Luckily my sports club is affiliated to the LTA and are given an allocation of tickets for a ballot.
Infinity
Pro

Here's an interesting "behind the scenes" job
Assistant Broadcast Manager - Championships role
The All England Lawn Tennis Club, the home of the Wimbledon Championships, needs to recruit an Assistant Broadcast Manager for the 2014 Championships.
It is anticipated that this contract will run from 6 May to 9 July inclusive.
However, The closing date for applications was 21 February 2014

We get started on installing facilities when we arrive back in the UK, some preparation groundwork currently being done by our staff.

http://www.wimbledon.com/en_GB/jobs/201402051391602019894.html
Infinity
Pro

Wimbledon 2014 goes social with near-live highlights on Facebook and Twitter
Watch Murray's title defence from the comfort of your Twitter feed
The All England Lawn Tennis Club has confirmed it has formed a formidable doubles pairing with social video firm Grabyo in order to broadcast "near-live highlights" on Facebook, Twitter and Google+.
The partnership will see between 25-50 clips posted to the social platforms every day, chronicling action from Centre Court and Courts No.1 and No.2, with each video lasting between 30-60 seconds.

Wimbledon 2014 begins on Monday, June 23
and ends on Sunday, July 6
(Weather permitting)

Infinity
Pro

Ready, Get Set, Go......
Let the fun begin...
Wimbledon 2014
Day One
Mon, Jun 23 · 11:30-20:00 · BBC2

Sue Barker introduces live coverage of the opening day of the third Grand Slam tournament of the year, which gets under way at the All England Club with the first-round matches in the men's and ladies' singles.

A lot of planning ( and meetings ! ) has gone into this years Tournament, as always.
On the TV Broadcasting side, from our point of view.
And as above....

PS:
Thread is only intended to focus on the Technical & Broadcasting aspects of Wimbledon...
Which includes our involvement in the same.

The Matches, Players etc I expect will be covered in another thread, courtesy of artmo and others !

Infinity
Pro

Just a week to go, most of the the Broadcast equipment is now installed by the team of Professional Engineers, just a few remaining bits of hired kit due to arrive today.
No major problems have arisen, fingers crossed.
Then Rehearsals, Rehearsals, and more Rehearsals !!
As I am hands off this final year, I will just be topping and tailing the Tournament, mostly as a spectator, soaking up the atmosphere, and enjoying the Strawberries and Cream !!
And meeting up with old friends and colleagues from the various Broadcasting facilities.
Infinity
Pro

BBC outlines extensive Wimbledon coverage on the Red Button and Connected TVs
The BBC is to offer up to 12 live streams of coverage from Wimbledon, giving the annual event its most comprehensive coverage yet.
Viewers with connected TVs will be able to access the 12 HD streams with the BBC Sport App, available via the Connected Red Button, which is in the process of being made available on an increasing number of devices.
This includes viewers with the latest Freeview HD smart TV models and those with Virgin's TiVo service.
The BBC Sport App is also available on Freesat Freetime receivers.
The availability of the streams in HD will depend on viewer's broadband connections.
Via conventional means, the BBC will broadcast up to 5 red button streams, which are being created on terrestrial (for Freeview/YouView receivers), on cable and on satellite (Sky/Freesat receivers) to provide extra coverage of events through until the end of the Commonwealth Games in early August.
The coverage is on top of the usual programming from SW19, broadcast on either BBC Two (HD) and BBC One (HD) for the duration of the event, which starts 23rd June.
Highlights of the day's events will be broadcast at 8pm on most nights on BBC Two (HD).

The BBC will broadcast selected matches from this year’s Wimbledon Championships live in 3D to homes across the UK, as part of the BBC’s two-year trial experimenting with 3D production and distribution.
The matches included in the trial coverage will include:
The Ladies’ Singles semi-finals
The Gentlemen’s Singles semi-finals
The Ladies’ Singles final
The Gentlemen’s Singles final
The free-to-air 3D coverage will be available to those with access to a 3D TV set and to the BBC’s HD Red Button service
BBC Red Button HD is available on:
Freeview HD (channel 303)
Virgin Media (channel 994)
Freesat (channel 980)
YouView (channel 303)

This year will be an exciting year for Technical and Broadcast Innovation at Wimbledon.
(And we are part of it)
BBC Commentary team includes:
Forty years since claiming his first Wimbledon title, Jimmy Connors returns to the BBC television line-up, joining Tracy Austin, Pat Cash, Lindsay Davenport, Peter Fleming, Tim Henman, Anne Keothavong, John Lloyd, John McEnroe, Sam Smith and Virginia Wade.
Martina Navratilova is back for a second year in the BBC commentary box. Martina, who has 20 Wimbledon titles, will commentate for television and 5 live throughout the fortnight.
Martina is fantastic, as mentioned before, I spent two weeks with her & Billie Jean King a while back in the commentary position, we had a great time, of course they are both extremely professional, but also great company.
Our installation is now complete, several run-throughs already, slight hiccups sorted.
A fantastic team effort.
Looking forwards to a great couple of weeks, from  Broadcasting point of view.
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
Been trying to find out how many debenture seats there are but not with much success.

It's on the AELTC website somewhere. The prospectus for the debentures (I think they are for 5 years) tells you how many are being sold and from that you can work out the number of seats etc.
The debentures are always massively oversubscribed. Barclays provide an OTC market for debentures and you can make a profit selling them, if you've been lucky in the allocation.
Infinity
Pro

Looking good, weather wise...
Fingers crossed.
Two of Britain's biggest summer events are set to get off to glorious starts as forecasters have predicted it will be warm and dry for the beginning of Wimbledon and Glastonbury.
Tennis fans can breathe a sigh of relief as the rain is expected to stay away next week, while the mercury is set to reach a balmy 23C (73.4C) on Monday, and hover around average or just above until the end of the week.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/jun/18/warm-weather-forecast-wimbledon-glastonbury
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
BBC outlines extensive Wimbledon coverage on the Red Button and Connected TVs
The BBC is to offer up to 12 live streams of coverage from Wimbledon, giving the annual event its most comprehensive coverage yet.

And a very comprehensive  information blog direct from the BBC...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/posts/Making-the-most-of-summer-2014-on-Red-Button
Additional Red Button streams
Wimbledon and Glastonbury
Satellite and cable viewers will receive five SD and one HD Red Button stream, while Freeview and YouView viewers will receive two SD Red Button streams.

These streams will be available from the first day of Wimbledon, 23rd June.

These streams will be EPG listed on all platforms so that you can record your favourite events.
The channel numbers are shown in the blog...
Infinity
Pro

This thread is only intended to focus on the Technical & Broadcasting aspects of Wimbledon...
Which includes our involvement in the same.

The Matches, Players etc I  will be covered in another thread

ie
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,127542.0.html

I'm off now to Wimbledon, to do a final technical check on everything, and stay for the Opening Matches.
The atmosphere, as always, will be brilliant, as I understand the Weather will be too, for the first week anyway.
jim:green link updated following topic merge mod:end
Community Veteran

Also off to Wimbledon today Smiley
Will the BBC 3D broadcasts been available on Sky also?
Infinity
Pro

Not that I am aware of.
We are only involved with the BBC this year.
This from 2013 perhaps clarifies the subject..
No Wimbledon 3D coverage for Sky subscribers, BBC wouldn't pay for EPG listing
http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/122178-no-wimbledon-3d-coverage-for-sky-subscribers-bbc-wouldn-t-pay...
SKY 3D Listings  [Wimbledon week(s)]
http://www.locatetv.com/uk/listings/sky-3d#23-Jun-2014