cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will you stop the fans please. Don't you mean start? No.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Will you stop the fans please. Don't you mean start? No.

I have a server cabinet in a second office in my house; only because I can’t be bothered moving it to the garage in the cold weather! But yesterday I decided to change the temp controller for the roof fans by 1 degree. As soon as the change was set all 4 of the fans stopped, and the change in the noise level was instant and obvious.

Having lived with them 24/7 for months now it is really quite eerie not having them on in the background and is taking quite a bit of getting used to.

1 REPLY
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: Will you stop the fans please. Don't you mean start? No.

I can relate to this sentiment. Not quite on the scale of every day, 24/7 for months (not sure how you could cope with that) but more in a 9 - 6 job working as a server configuration engineer. Most days we would have servers being ordered to be configured and they needed OS installing as well as all the hardware. When we got large orders the noise of the fans was quite loud when you got 10 - 20 rack servers on the bench. As soon as there was no fan noise when leaving the workshop it was bliss.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.