cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

DaveyH wrote:

FWIW

For a split second there I thought you were doing a Terry Thomas impression. Fwarrr ding dong

Anonymous
Not applicable

gleneagles wrote:

Most councils are made up of elected members from the various political parties and from reports in the local press there are no end of political battles and points scoring by the various groups, perhaps where you live and in other parts of the country political opponents get on well with others but not here.

@gleneagles

Yes, but my question was "is it an example of a council deliberately doing something stupid, wrong or unjustifiable to score political points over the government?"

I guess the answer is no, in which case how s that relevant?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This thread is beginning to remind me of this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OSlfttDnurw

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Luzern

Appealing on those grounds is a non starter, the responsibility of providing shops, health centres, schools and all the rest is not the responsibility of the applicant.

All this has been put foward at the various meetings and been rejected, I understand the point that government enquiries cost the council a lot of money but who are they there to represent ? Those who have the power and money or the local residents ?

Guess there is no need to answer that question.

Community Veteran

DaveyH wrote:

FWIW I don't think you're racist, just pointing out the absurdity of your arguement

Some would say we are all racist to some extent even though we might not be aware of the fact !

Anonymous
Not applicable

@gleneagles

That may or may not be true depending on how you define 'racist' - but it doesnt excuse the overt, conscious racism of those who use it as a way of justifying themselves.

Community Veteran

Or is it simply a matter of interpretation ?

It is possible to say something with no intention of meaning anything other that the question posted but by using a example of a particular group of people or person it could be seen as discrimination of that particular group.

For example I might say a lot of actors are gay and that makes them good actors, some might take offence at that statement, others might not whilst the majority could not care less so where do you draw the line ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Birmingham City council (Labour run) has backed out of a deal with its refuse collectors and caused chaos with rubbish being left to pile up.

They now claim they're worried about equal pay rights being claimed by hundreds of female employees. Stupid excuse seeing as they're not out collecting trash - they can hardly argue that they do an equal job and deserve equal pay. The council is just being difficult.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

7up wrote:

They now claim they're worried about equal pay rights being claimed by hundreds of female employees. Stupid excuse seeing as they're not out collecting trash - they can hardly argue that they do an equal job and deserve equal pay. The council is just being difficult.

I think you'll find that many (maybe most and certainly my local one) councils have had to agree that a whole variety of jobs are 'equal' for the purposes of pay equality. Often based on the notional value of the job.

(In case it had crossed your mind then I agree that it's not very likely that a worker shuffling bits of paper in a nice warm office would gladly exchange with someone hauling heavy smelly bins in the pouring rain but the lunatics took over years ago). Shocked

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

From my observations of our local binmen, their job entails wheeling a bin t the back of a truck, pushing a button, then throwing the bin back somewhere within half a mile of where it came from, all while yapping on a smartphone, so, I don't see where the high-pay thing comes from when they obviously have it easy if they're able to make personal phonecalls while working...

Community Veteran

@twocvbloke

How do you know it was a personal phone call ?

He might have been on the phone to report a bin lid was not fully closed, wrong stuff in the bin, bin was to heavy or a long list of other daft things.

Made me smile when one of the things that were being reported was the weight of bins, well the greater the time limit between bin collections then the weight is likely to increase ?

Perhaps bins over a certain weight will not be collected or an additional charge made for any over a certain weight.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I suspect this is making way for so called premium services when it comes to rubbish disposal.

You've already paid for it for years but soon you'll have to pay extra. Makes you wonder who the real mobs are around the world cos the governments have an uncanny way of acting like them.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

gleneagles wrote:

@twocvbloke

How do you know it was a personal phone call ?

Having been outside while they were emptying bins, having to follow them down the street cos it was too narrow to walk around them, hearing them talking loudly over the noise of the truck through my window, etc., and unless their employer makes deals wth them to buy stuff from free-ads, or that they have their bedroom partners working there and talking dirty with them at work, or just chattting to their employer about going up the toon on Friday, yeah, they're not work calls, they're personal, on personal phones, while supposedly doing a job that they demand a lot of money for...

As for reporting bins, they have computers in the trucks round here, they push a button to say why they haven't emptied it, add the house number and occasionally the bin serial number and print off a label & slap it on the lid, and the computer then logs it with Bin-Emptying HQ...

Steve
Seasoned Pro

I am pretty fed up with how this country is being run to be honest, i don't blame anyone for leaving the country to live elsewhere. If I could, i would. UK has become a joke.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

nothing stopping you.
if you really wanted to you would.