cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 3,217
Thanks: 312
Fixes: 2
Registered: 31-07-2007

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

@7up I had no intention of pointing a comment to you at all, but was making comment on the situation that had brought the thread about. Nevertheless I have made a slight edit of my post, replacing "your" be "the".

I'd hope, if I dared, that your sensitivities would be calmed now. 

I accept no responsibility for the comments of others,

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 3,217
Thanks: 312
Fixes: 2
Registered: 31-07-2007

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

Even more to add confusion.Roll eyes

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,355
Thanks: 700
Fixes: 10
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

Sigh.... Does this have to be only about the religion thing?

 

This topic was started about COUNCIL REBELLIONS and that story was used as an example O_N_L_Y.

I do not care for religious stuff unless it highlights a different issue - such as councils acting stupidly on purpose.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
N/A

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

@7up

1. As far as I can see you have provided absolutely NO evidence of councils "purposely do[ing] stupid / wrong / unjustifiable things"

You say that you have noticed that over the years many councils have done such things. The one example YOU CHOSE to give does not, in my opinion, give any credence to your claim. As far as I can see, the council have done their best to protect a young child who was taken away by the police for her safety. The situation was nowhere near as clear cut as you implied in the opening paragraph of the original post. See, for example, here: 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/aug/30/child-in-fostering-row-should-live-with-non-practisi...

or either of the links in Luzern's posts.

If, as you claim, "many councils seem to purposely do stupid / wrong / unjustifiable things which will drag them into the spotlight for all the wrong reasons", then let's have some other example which show this.

 

2. You wrote: "Still now you have forced me to explain that to you, I shall consider my options against yourselves. You've absolutely no right to know anything about my partner or child but you've deliberately forced my hand". What planet are you on? I haven't forced you to do anything. Take some responsibility for your own actions. YOU decided to give that information.

 

3. As I said yesterday, I have not accused you of anything. You, however, HAVE accused me of "being deliberately nasty and making aggressive accusations" and of inciting racial hatred. 

 

4. You say you will consider your options against me. Please do. I would suggest that the best option would be to offer me an apology and a solemn undertaking not to accuse me of such things again.

 

Community Veteran
Posts: 8,425
Thanks: 906
Fixes: 9
Registered: 02-08-2007

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

@Anonymous

The following is an example of what councils do and this relates to Preston County Council,

Owner of a local golf course submitted plans to build 600 + houses on his golf course, the planning committee rejected the plan for a variety of reasons including the fact the local housing plan had already approved planning permission for the required number of new house builds in the area, 5,000 new houses.

The owner appealed and following a 2 week inquiry by the government inspector the decision of the council was upheld.

Said owner then drew up further plans with a smaller number of houses, planning was refused, further government enquiry and again the decision of the council was upheld.

Said owner then put in for planning permission for a Training ground on the golf course but said it could only be funded if he had permission to build 450 houses.

Guess what he got approval for the houses.

There is plenty of information on th internet about the above plus articles in the Lancashire Evening Post.

Some might say there is nothing wrong with the above but others might have a different opinion.

Anonymous
N/A

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

It is indeed an example of what councils do. But is it an example of a council deliberately doing something stupid, wrong or unjustifiable to score political points over the government? 

By the way, Preston is a CITY council, not county council. And you omitted to mention that the plans which were accepted included a new public park. The results of planning applications wil rarely make everyone happy - but where in your example is evidence to support the idea that councils deliberately work against the interests of their electorate to score points over the government?

Community Veteran
Posts: 14,355
Thanks: 700
Fixes: 10
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

Perhaps you should be a bit more careful how you write things in the future then.

What you wrote sounded like you were directly accusing me.

Like I said this thread is dust now but for what its worth, if you think i owe you an apology then i apologise. Likewise I'll accept yours.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 3,274
Thanks: 339
Fixes: 12
Registered: 24-10-2013

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?


7up wrote:

Perhaps you should be a bit more careful how you write things in the future then.

 


as you might too!
those who cast the first stone and all that...

Anonymous
N/A

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?


7up wrote:

Perhaps you should be a bit more careful how you write things in the future then.

What you wrote sounded like you were directly accusing me.

Like I said this thread is dust now but for what its worth, if you think i owe you an apology then i apologise. Likewise I'll accept yours.


No. I think you need to be more careful how you read and interpret things.

As for your apology, I'm afraid that is worthless unless it is matched by a change in behaviour. 

I have nothing to apologise for, and have not and will not offer you an apology for your failure to understand.

Community Veteran
Posts: 14,355
Thanks: 700
Fixes: 10
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

Luzern pointed out (in reponse to me) "your trigger for this thread"

You then replied stating that some members of this forum are racist - in reply to "your"

How did you expect me to see it?

If you're going to muddle points like that there is scope for confusion.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 8,425
Thanks: 906
Fixes: 9
Registered: 02-08-2007

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?


notinmyname wrote:

It is indeed an example of what councils do. But is it an example of a council deliberately doing something stupid, wrong or unjustifiable to score political points over the government? 

By the way, Preston is a CITY council, not county council. And you omitted to mention that the plans which were accepted included a new public park. The results of planning applications wil rarely make everyone happy - but where in your example is evidence to support the idea that councils deliberately work against the interests of their electorate to score points over the government?


The word 'Park' is one used by the owner of the golf course and the local press, however there is no 'Park' what there is are a number of strips of land between these blocks of housing, my definition of a park is a large open space examples being the same as every other park in Preston.

The Plans for this development are available in a pdf online and trust me I have been to all the meetings where these plans were discussed in detail and there is no 'park' or at least as I understand the word park.

Most councils are made up of elected members from the various political parties and from reports in the local press there are no end of political battles and points scoring by the various groups, perhaps where you live and in other parts of the country political opponents get on well with others but not here.

DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 1,429
Thanks: 246
Fixes: 9
Registered: 15-11-2012

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?


7up wrote

If either of you want to accuse me of trying to stir up racial hatred then you need to cease and desist. Some of you have accused me of being anti-foreigners previously. You want to know why the moderating team have never taken action against me over your accusations? My partner is a foreigner and they (or at least Mav) are aware of this. It would be a bit stupid to accuse me of racism when i have a foreign partner who I have a child with. Incidentally my partner is of a controversial faith before you try that one. Still now you have forced me to explain that to you, I shall consider my options against yourselves. You've absolutely no right to know anything about my partner or child but you've deliberately forced my hand and decided to accuse me of being racist and stirring up hatred.


 

Just wow! I've no idea if you're racist or not, but here's a tip for free,

 

If you don't want to come across as one, using what amounts to the 'i'm not racist because' argument isn't the brightest move.

 

And I'll leave you to ponder this. Trump's Wife is 'foreign' and his daughter and son in law are Jewish...

Luzern
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 3,217
Thanks: 312
Fixes: 2
Registered: 31-07-2007

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?


gleneagles wrote:

@notinmyname

The following is an example of what councils do and this relates to Preston County Council,

Owner of a local golf course submitted plans to build 600 + houses on his golf course, the planning committee rejected the plan for a variety of reasons including the fact the local housing plan had already approved planning permission for the required number of new house builds in the area, 5,000 new houses.

The owner appealed and following a 2 week inquiry by the government inspector the decision of the council was upheld.

Said owner then drew up further plans with a smaller number of houses, planning was refused, further government enquiry and again the decision of the council was upheld.

Said owner then put in for planning permission for a Training ground on the golf course but said it could only be funded if he had permission to build 450 houses.

Guess what he got approval for the houses.

There is plenty of information on th internet about the above plus articles in the Lancashire Evening Post.

Some might say there is nothing wrong with the above but others might have a different opinion.


I'm not going to comment on that council's aptitude or lack of, but one needs to consider that councils have a grave disadvantage versus building companies. It's a Dives and Lazarus thing. Appeals cost money that councils do not have, but the company does. Moreover, the costs of a fortnight full on site  appeal will have been  very high.

Appeal at the cost of other needs of the populace such as transport, children's and old peoples' serviced? VOTE: yes/ no

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,355
Thanks: 700
Fixes: 10
Registered: 01-08-2007

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?


DaveyH wrote: 

Just wow! I've no idea if you're racist or not, but here's a tip for free,

 

If you don't want to come across as one, using what amounts to the 'i'm not racist because' argument isn't the brightest move.

 

And I'll leave you to ponder this. Trump's Wife is 'foreign' and his daughter and son in law are Jewish...


With respect Davey, I don't really worry about what you think of me seeing as everything you say about me is negative. 

I previously stood accused of being racist to people from a certain country last year or the year before. The mods at the time locked and moved the thread having no idea that my partner was from that very country (and expressed similar views). I was utterly appalled at the treatment that was given to me. I have still not had an apology for it but then i didn't reveal my personal circumstances so whatever.

So perhaps you'll understand if i am:

  1. slightly miffed at the slightest suggestion of me being racist or religionist
  2. very defensive / easily wound up by it.

Something else to remember: nobody here actually knows what race / religion I am.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
DaveyH
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 1,429
Thanks: 246
Fixes: 9
Registered: 15-11-2012

Re: Will we ever see an end to council / local authority rebellions?

FWIW I don't think you're racist, just pointing out the absurdity of your arguement