Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will they ever listen?

thisoldman
Grafter

Will they ever listen?

http://express.co.uk/posts/view/231700

"In urban areas dominated by mosques,burkas and the babble of foreign tongues,many British feel like aliens in their own country
No wonder a new poll suggests over 50% of uk voters would vote for a new right wing party..
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Will they ever listen?

which will then be labelled as racist and nazi  Roll eyes by definition
nadger
Rising Star

And probably have Geert Wilders as it's idol  Sad
thisoldman
Grafter

you are both wrong and biased. All that is needed is a new party which will put a stop to this nonsense of  immigration and put into practice the policies of  say    migration watch.
They might also get shot of the EU, another source of all our woes.
Community Veteran

I am neither wrong nor biassed.
Any party which promotes those policies will be immediately attacked by the "Racial Equality Industry" and there will be demonstrations against them in the streets.
I was stating a fact not an opinion
randpwar
Grafter

And will this new party be open to all regardless of colour, ethnicity, sexuality, religous belief etc?
Thought not  Wink
thisoldman
Grafter

ok these are fair points and concerns.
My main argument based on years of research and reading the relevant literature is that unlimited immigration has proved expensive for this country and our membership of the EU with all its phoney rules and legislation has impeded and will continue to impede our  progress.
How will uk citizens feel if we get lumbered with the discontented from egypt, libya,bahrain etc. 
Can we really afford any more immigrants?
Fixes: 47

No but we can give millions under the Foreign Aid Scheme to India which has a similar Foreign Aid scheme giving a similar amount to other 'deserving' countries Crazy
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: thisoldman
How will uk citizens feel if we get lumbered with the discontented from egypt, libya,bahrain etc.   

Would I be correct in thinking that by ‘discontented’ you mean people that haven’t yet been murdered by a regime that runs the country they were born into for having the audacity to expect free elections?
I hope, however, that you and I can both be happy here with the overthrow of these regimes being swiftly followed with elections; therefore people can live in their own country but with the same free speech that you and I take for granted 
David_W
Rising Star

We're stopping giving aid to India and China and Russia, though why we were giving aid to these countries I'll probably never know (why give aid to a country with a higher GDP than us? madness!).
I don't really mind about immigration, it enriches our society as a whole, it gives us amazing music (where would we be without Jamaican or American singers?), it gives us medical staff (lots of nurses and hospital workers in Cornwall come from Australia for the waves), it enriches our food and our society as a whole.
Technology wise, we product something like 50% of the worlds top research in all fields, but that too is due to immigration and getting the brains from abroad to come here, we're producing that much with only 10% of the top brains, how much would that drop if we stopped immigration and they went to our competitors?
Banking industry, world number 1 (or at least was) would be London, not due to just Londoners but because we can attract foriegn nationals and companies to work and invest in the UK, car companies from Japan nippon over here (see what I did there?) and invest in this country.
Xenophobia, lovely word, shame it's foreign.
Sure, we have a minority of people who come over and abuse the system, but we also have a minority of British born people who are born here and abuse the system, heck, some get elected to Parliament and end up abusing the system so much they go to jail, what do we do with them?  Prevent people being born to certain families of a certain social aspect?  Let's try Eugenics!
I remember when Romania was joining the EU, I'm 99.281235% sure you believed the hype from the "newspapers" about how 5 billion people from Romania had already purchased 1 way bus tickets from Romania to the nearest benefits agency in the UK, I've never met a Romanian, so them 5 billion must be shacked up somewhere else.
You want to know the problem with your way of thinking?  Look at Japan, a country with 120M people and the ability to immigrate there is very hard, almost impossible unless you have a degree from Oxford and write fluent Japanese better than the Japanese people.  I'm serious, you want to work in a hospital in Japan?  You need to be able to read Japanese words that the majority of Japanese people don't know, and if you don't learn them, you get thrown out.  The problem?  Japan's population is ageing very rapidly, well, I say very rapidly I mean that lots of people are ageing at the rate of 1 year per year, BUT, their population is expected to decline, they also tend to live a very long time, so there the solution of blocking immigration is making a massive black whole where very soon their workforce will be a tiny proportion compared to the people who have retired and without immigration, no one to replace the work force.
On the other hand, our population is growing and will continue to grow, by bringing in 200k people per year, that's 200k people who can enter the workforce and pay taxes and whatnot to fund peoples pensions, we need immigration, we don't need to end up in the same situation as Japan which is going to find itself in serious trouble very soon.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Have no problem with anyone coming into this country who is prepared to abide by it's laws and make a contribution to society, however space is limited in an island the size of England so we do need to have some upper limit to the number of people who we can take in.
There is also the question of resources, things like Housing, the health service,schools & Local Authorities have problems in providing even essential services to it's residents who have often worked a lifetime and paid contributions to fund these services which they may have a long wait to access due to others who they see getting services ahead of them.
This is not helped by the fact that massive rents are paid out to some people on benefits to cover the cost of houses which many hard working people can only dream about.
On the work front it is certainly true that some types of work such as picking vegetables all day for the minimum wage is a non starter for most people out of work so without immigration this work would not get done but there must be many young people coming out of University with good degrees (and a lot of debt) unable to understand why they are unable to get jobs that go to immigrants. If they don't have the skills for these jobs then we need to get back to the system of years ago when you worked for a company and allowed time off to attend University.
David_W
Rising Star

We do actually have quite a lot of available space to build new properties or to enlarge current towns, the problem with that is the NIMBY brigade who don't want a new housing estate to obscure their view of a green hill somewhere so fight tooth and nail to prevent new developments which means that we have to find space in towns to prop up populations.  Walk 3 minutes from my house and you have miles and miles and miles of green land which could potentially de developed and house thousands, pretty much doubling the population of my town.  It'll never happen though, the people who live near the green don't want stuff build there which would affect either their view of their house prices.
According to Wikipedia, the population density per square km is at 255, Belgium is at 355, Hong Kong? 6,349.  If Hong Kong can manage to fit over 6,000 people per square km then surely we have plenty of room, an increase of just 20% would bring us up to around 300 people per square km, still less than Belgium.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@David W,  Hong Kong mainley use Blocks of Flats for housing, but this country is in the middle of demolishing them, most people don't like Blocks of Flats.
Community Veteran

Correction to the figures - population density of England 384 people per sq kilometre
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/questions/population.html
England is by far the most densely populated part of the UK.
In 2003, it had a population density of 383 people per sq km compared with Wales (142), Northern Ireland (125) and Scotland (65). London had a far higher population density than any of the English regions, with 4,700 people living in each square kilometre on average.
England's population density is more than treble the European average of 117 people per sq km.

Now if you all want to move to Scotland  Roll eyes
David_W
Rising Star

Just reading today, there are apparently 215,000 houses in Cornwall, 5% of which are second homes so are empty pretty much almost all year round, that's 10,750 homes in Cornwall alone that are basically vacant.  That figure is probably higher than the national average, but when you take into account second homes (and not just MP's fiddled claims), empty homes due to lost ownership or owners unable to bring them up to standard, how many thousands of homes are just sitting there empty?  If the UK really was heaving at the sides with people ready to spill out into the Atlantic, the first thing government would do would be to add a surcharge on council tax for second homes to encourage people to sell up, which in turn would give thousands of people the possibility to purchase a property as a real, first home.