Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will he go to jail?

nadger
Rising Star

Will he go to jail?

Ex MP due to be sentenced later today.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12127327
Personally I think he should get a prison term the same as a benefit cheat.
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Will he go to jail?

@nadger I disagree Roll eyes,
He should get a longer term than that of a benefit cheat, he was in a position of trust (and no suspended sentance).
Fixes: 47

He faces a maximum of seven years in jail, although his guilty plea will be taken into account by the sentencing judge.

I still don't get how pleading guilty dilutes the crime....still I hope he gets at least 3 years inside.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

He deserves a prison sentence.  He abused the trust his constituents placed in him.  It might also serve as a salutary lesson to the rest of MPs in Parliament who still seem to think we should be paying for their expensive lifestyles.   
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Will be pleasantly surprised if he gets his just deserts. But I suspect a suspended sentence is more likely.
I must admit from previous posts that I was not expecting the case to get to this stage. Anticipating that few in the legal profession would have the backbone to pursue a sitting MP and stay in business. I do notice though that there have been few if any exhortations of support from his government colleagues.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
N/A

I do not think that he ought to go to prison - it will just take more money out of the public purse and won't serve any useful purpose.
Hit him very hard in the pocket - that would be a more appropriate punishment, together with the loss of his status and reputation.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
I still don't get how pleading guilty dilutes the crime....still I hope he gets at least 3 years inside.

I think the logic behind this is that by pleading guilty if saves time and costs to the public purse.
nadger
Rising Star

I thought we might have had the answer by now.
Creating a false tenancy agreement for a property one already owns can hardly, as he claimed, be an accounting error.
I'm surprised that the MPs who claimed mortgage payments, after mortgage had been paid, weren't taken to court - I certainly knew when our mortgage had ended.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

We must not lose sight of that his credibility and reputation are in tatters (although Christine and Neil Hamilton don't seem to have fared too badly) very very important to those who choose to work in public life.
PS. Jeffery Archer seems as confident and "popular" as he was before he was "banged-up" (lousy author though)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
silentwitness44

A breach of trust is viewed very seriously, whether it be 10p from a supermarket till or thousands as in  Chaytors case. A public figure..in high office..perks galore which are accepted and legal. Why the need for so much greed?>m y daughter worked for an MP..and the perks amount to thousands. Mr C haytor was my constituency MP.. I predict he will remain out of jail.. suspended senten ce.. commun ity service etc....his future professional life non existent.
He may be treated "as an example"
Community Veteran

He's been sentenced to 18 months - far too short.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Agree with Artmo, it is too short, he should be made an example of.
But was reading what poppy wrote
Quote from: poppy
I do not think that he ought to go to prison - it will just take more money out of the public purse and won't serve any useful purpose.
Hit him very hard in the pocket - that would be a more appropriate punishment, together with the loss of his status and reputation.

does make sense, he is (now) no harm to society.
What is 18 months freedom worth, somebody put a figure on it?  Does he still qualify for his MP's pension?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

And where will he serve this ? An open prison no doubt..... choice of menu, sky TV, priority health treatment etc............I Know a few pensioners who would gladly change places with him.
He may also have more freedom than some pensioners who live in High raise flats and are afraid to go out.
nadger
Rising Star

BBC home affairs correspondent Danny Shaw said Chaytor could be free by the end of May as prisoners given sentences of less than four years can be considered for early release - subject to electronic tagging and a curfew - if they are not convicted of violent or serious offences.
Seems he could be out quite quickly with current level of prison overcrowding.
Hopefully his prison sentence will serve as a warning to others, in positions of trust, to not take advantage and rob  the public purse.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
And where will he serve this ?

On the News it said he was going to Wandsworth but I guess he could be moved on from there.  Maybe there are a few vacancies at Ford now that some prisoners have been moved out after the recent riot.