cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will every home have power storage?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Will every home have power storage?

I missed this last week but the inhabitants of Leighton Buzzard have a large Lithium incendiary bomb battery in their back yard. It is there as part of an experiment to store electric power to deal with early morning power demand peaks. Strange but the lithium batteries in my laptop seem to last 2-3 years, I wonder about the longevity of the cells in this scheme?
The next step will probably be an insistence that homes have their own supplementary power batteries to reduce the load on the grid. Personally I wouldn't be any measure which increases the resilience of our national infrastructure. There are of course other methods of power storage such as compressed air and pumped water.
Linkies here and here.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: Will every home have power storage?

Good I like to see it. We need this technology to be able to tolerate ever increasing amounts of intermittent renewables on the grid  Smiley
But other reports I have seen state that it's not about the good people of Leighton Buzzard. It's a grid reinforcement scheme to handle peak loads. The alternative was a replacement of a transformer which would have been even more expensive
It's saving money  Cool
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Yes, it's all very well doing this, but what size was the carbon footprint to create this cell? And if that cell needs replacing every few years at a cost of millions is it really green or simply Government hyperbole.
Storing electricity from solar energy makes sense assuming the Photocells are heliotropic to squeeze out every watt, but to me a wind farm is a pointless waste of time, money and effort not to mention ugly.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
It is there as part of an experiment to store electric power to deal with early morning power demand peaks.

Thought peak demand is earlier evening
Community Veteran

There is an a.m. peak for showers, kettles and toasters but it's not a great as the evening peak when the UK put on their cookers.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

The issue is the intelligent grid. With all the intermittent renewable and small scale energy sources we need to be able to control energy flows around the system an this is an enabling technology for that!
Load shedding will be a big enabling technology as well  Roll eyes
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Mook
There is an a.m. peak for showers, kettles and toasters but it's not a great as the evening peak when the UK put on their cookers.

There are predictable peaks early morning before 6AM when those on 2 rate meters switch on immersion heaters etc, then demand drops then pick up again mid morning. Don't think morning spikes using kettles and toasters caused any problems as the grid have slack its the evening when running at nearly maximum that spikes caused by kettles etc was more of a problem
For real time data from the grid http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
Community Veteran

Grin
Sorry. I've just realised that the smiley may be a bit obtuse. Let's just say I have an understanding of how the Power Generation market works as I deal with it everyday in my day job as a software engineer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PeterLoftus

Load shedding will be a big enabling technology as well  Roll eyes

The IoT Toaster (Internet of Things) cheerily pipes up at 7:30 am to tell Mrs Jones that the family toast will be 10 minutes late owing to a remotely imposed load shed request. "...Y'all have a nice day now..."
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Marksfish
Grafter

I would like to see residential version of this (and at a affordable price) to capture all my unused solar power, instead of exporting it to the grid for 5p per unit and paying 15p per unit for it back!!
Mark