cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Plusnet Be Joining In?

Community Veteran

Will Plusnet Be Joining In?

I see a good number of ISP's are finally taking legal action against GCHQ.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28106815
Basically saying "this is unlawful and utterly unacceptable in a democracy".
Of course we all know their reply "all its work is conducted in accordance with a strict legal and policy framework".
Legal only in the sense of morally ambiguous loopholes.
It's way past time this was actually put to the test in a court of law.
Whatever the outcome they won't be smelling of roses at the end of it.
9 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Will Plusnet Be Joining In?

Good horse manure produces great Roses Wink
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

so strange that under the legislation that provides for the companies to operate (and interact with UK based traffic) is the same legislation that allows GCHQ to perform there surveillance activities, P.I. hasn't got a leg to stand on as there prior cases have demonstrated they failed to act to prevent the legislation being passed when they had the chance...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
pwatson
Rising Star

References to the relevant legislation?
TORPC
Grafter

@pwatson
You may be informed to google it, as I have requested for supported links & still waiting Sad
Community Veteran

Maybe I'm being cynical but I believe they are given a virtually free rein to do as they please because those same faceless bureaucrats have already done to numerous MP's what they are now doing to us.
And I'm sure the skeletons in the MP's closets put ours to shame.
nanotm
Pro

that would be the communications act 2003, the anti-terrorism, crime and security act 2001, and various amendments and new acts since then, and for the UK ISP it also is in the SI that grants them the licence to do business here
Community Veteran

Well meaning acts riding on public outrage that the implications (and all the amendments) of don't quite get spelt out to the same trusting public.
Almost reminds me of the Common Market.
nanotm
Pro

funny how things like that happen, even funnier how the groups most eager to see them happen are all to often the ones that want them reversed a few years down the line, the tories went into the common market when it was a great idea, labour held a referendum to see if the public liked it (which they did) and then changed the treaty terms, a few years later the tories (under thatcher) created a new treaty that allowed a commission to form and create EU wide legislation over trade and market standards, labour got in and signed away a whole host of other rights ....
when the digital millennium act and the communications act's and the anti terrorism laws were created groups like P.I. were consulted and they gave there unwavering consent to them yet more than a decade on there now crying over spilt milk and trying to cause a stink about laws they were instrumental in having brought into being not because they didn't understand the finer points but because they did and they didn't care so long as it couldn't be used in open court to prosecute someone who wasn't a terrorist, when armies of lawyers used the snoopers charter to create illegal data taps (in breach of the DPA and the ECHR and a few other laws) to prosecute file sharers and copyright infringers groups like P.I. didn't care but now that some criminal has given some sound bites to the guardian suddenly there all over it like a tramp on chips .....
thee all smoke and mirrors and there worse than groups like GCHQ who have a mandate and follow it to the fullest of there ability, instead groups like P.I. pick and choose when to uphold there mandate and just how far there willing to go to try ....
Community Veteran

As that oh so true old saying goes.
Give them an inch..........................