Rising Star

Will Charles be an OAP before getting a job

He's now become longest serving heir apparent  Roll eyes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13133587
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Will Charles be an OAP before getting a job

I, like I suspect many others, would like it if he set a record as the longest serving heir apparent not to accede to the throne.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Interesting isn't it, as what must be the longest training course in history and, still not suitable for the job! Impressive CV though.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Dependant on how long the Queen carries on, I wouldn't be surprised if Charles decides that William will accede to the throne rather then him. 
Community Veteran

Although we won't be privy to any confirmation, it wouldn't surprise me to hear that if HMQ thought Charles was "ready" she would have stood aside years ago. And of course, Charles has never exactly been Philip's favourite son.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

nadger actually asked; "a" job not "the" job, What else might he do?

randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I, like I suspect many others, would like it if he set a record as the longest serving heir apparent not to accede to the throne.

I would like it if there wasn't a throne to accede to. Fatuous adulation is really no basis for government
Community Veteran

The monarch doesn't rule in this country. The government does in "her" name. The monarch is usually kept informed of government matters, and has what is termed "the royal prerogative" that in theory she could over-ride a government decision, but its use would usually these days be largely confined to ceremonial matters. And of course the government doesn't have to accept the monarchs "interference"

randpwar
Grafter

Yeah, I do know and understand that Petlew and my tongue is in my cheek a little; but I just believe its time to rid ourselves of this outdated system.
Actually I’m hoping all Plusnetters will say a collective ‘Aah’ and feel sorry for me; I mean, what is a republican atheist to do at a time like this? My kids, however, have (as they’re perfectly entitled to do, of course) an entirely different view and are very keen to go to London to join the merry throng. Every time I close my eyes I get a horrible vision of myself waving the Union Jack as the happy couple go by. The Union Jack bit I don’t mind, I’m as patriotic as anyone, and on a personal level I wish any couple getting married well, but as for cheering them on as a sign of agreeing with having a monarchy……ugh. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: randpwar

I would like it if there wasn't a throne to accede to. Fatuous adulation is really no basis for government

I well remember when Maggie started doing "royal walkabouts" while she was PM. If it did nothing other than preventing us having to suffer a politician elected as president parading around the way she did it would be worth keeping the monarchy for that reason alone!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Add me to your list !
I think he is well past his prime.... and as for her............................... less said the better.
Community Veteran

Agree with you there Shutter.  Don't think we are ready for Queen Camilla Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Agree with Shutter:
But I was under the impression it was all cut and dried, a heir apparent  who marries a divorcee cannot become Monarch. recent times - Abdication of Edward VIII - defined by precedent.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I hope that is true.... if so...... Goody Goody !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I wonder if things have changed. I thought it was confirmed that Camilla would officially be Queen Consort if Charles becomes king.