cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Capped Data Plans Kill the Cloud?

Heloman
Grafter

Will Capped Data Plans Kill the Cloud?

An interesting discussion. I wonder if ISPs are thinking about this?
http://apple.slashdot.org/story/11/06/19/1434211/Will-Capped-Data-Plans-Kill-the-Cloud
"With the introduction of its Chromebook, Google is betting big on the Cloud. As is Apple, with its iCloud initiative. So too are Netflix and Skype. Unfortunately, their very existence is threatened by data-capping carriers, who have set a course to make sure that the network is NOT the computer."
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Will Capped Data Plans Kill the Cloud?

Nope, just pay a little extra for an uncapped Broadband/Fibre then you can use cloud and apps. A high latency data link is more likely to put a damper on the Cloud
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
phil4
Grafter

Re: Will Capped Data Plans Kill the Cloud?

I think they have a point, and I mean capped in two ways 1) performance, 2) usage.
PN's reluctance to offer an "all you can eat" experience in 2 (for a fixed price), means that though you can have unthrottled experience by going pro, the same can't be said for usage.
That item 2) is the sort of thing that will make PN less attractive in my eyes, to people moving to an all cloud world.
The "free" off peak usage is great in the old world, but not much use in the new. 
I for one think there's a long long way to go before the cloud becomes popular, and useful, and I expect in that time that PN, along with many others will simply adjust their packages.