Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Bahrain F1 race go ahead?

nadger
Rising Star

Will Bahrain F1 race go ahead?

Will the race take place on 13th March?
Seems Ecclestone is letting crown prince decide.
I see that Bahrain reportedly pay £25m a year to host the race and an extra £12m to ensure it's first race of the season.
Personally I'd like to see Foreign Office advise against all travel to Bahrain and put an end to the debate.
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 47

Re: Will Bahrain F1 race go ahead?

Well the FCO has this advice.
We advise against all but essential travel to Bahrain until further notice.
Following violence over recent days, and most recently on the evening of 18 February, we advise British nationals to avoid all but essential travel to Bahrain.

Question: is F1 essential travel?
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

The FO already have.
I posted about this in the Middle East thread, I am a huge F1 fan, and right up until the point they shot at people I wanted the F1 there to go ahead, now I would sicken if it did.  On one side of the fence people dying from being shot at by their own government, on the other a festival complete with glamour, speed and champagne celebrations.  The juxtaposition would be untenable in my view.
I also strongly object to the crown prince being given to call, he has a huge conflict of interest, and I'm sure he will side with his family first of foremost, then his country (what he believes is best for his country), then and only then, might he consider what is best for F1.  Sorry he is the last person I would leave to make the call.  Bernie Ecclestone passed the buck so that he didn't loose out on his money, hoping they will call it off and not him.  Not to put too fine a point on it, he's a gutless wanker.
nadger
Rising Star

@ Strat - it seems that the current FO advice doesn't invalidate the insurance cover the teams have, hence my wanting to see the advice changed to " all travel"
I doubt that many UK F1 fans like Bernie after his treatment of Silverstone.
With all the deals he has going on round the world we'll soon need a 60 week year to fit in his race calendar Undecided
In another way it seems ironic that a Jew should be leaving it to an Arab to decide matters  Wink
Community Veteran

It's just been announced that the race has been postponed.
Grand PrixOff
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I suspected It would be called off, Ah well 27TH March It Is (Australian Grand Prix)
nadger
Rising Star

Disappointed but think crown prince made right decision  Cry
Community Veteran

I don't think he had any other choice Undecided