cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will BREXIT bring back "Real Money" into our pockets ?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Will BREXIT bring back "Real Money" into our pockets ?

Just a thought.... It`s been with us for a while,... and mainly since we decided to join the Common Market/EU... whatever it is supposed to be called...  and that is  DECIMALISATION...

Over the years, prices have increased for just about everything... due to the limited number if increases available under the Decimal System...  

Now that we are taking back control of our borders, and our laws... should we also take back our currency... and revert to £.s.d.   so that prices can be "properly" adjusted in single penny increases.. ( or even halfpenny if we get them back ).....  and not in the 5p... 10p... 20p  50p...   ( 1/-    2/-   10/-  equivalent ).. note... the 50 p increase represents a half of a pound coin...   

Under the £.s.d. coinage.. that would cause nationwide strikes and civil unrest, if something was to be increased by that amount.... nowadays... it is just "accepted" and   "it`s only 50p more"...  

Just to put that into perspective... last week, we went to a cafe for a lunch of Sausages & Mash... ( with two veg & gravy )... very nice too...  missus asked if we could have some "extra mash please"....

"Yes, certainly... no problem.... that will be 60p each extra "    

Now that may not seem to be much...until you work it out.. to be  12/- in £.s.d money  adding an extar £1.20p or £1-4/- to the bill...

Scandalous... the spuds would have cost them less than 10p between us... and it was probably already prepared, so no great prep and extra cooking costs... yet it cost another  £1 for the cook/food server to put that extra on our plate...

So Mrs. May... please MAY we have our money back... like it used to be...so we can have sensible price increases.. ( if we have to have them at all..... )

56 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Will BREXIT bring back "Real Money" into our pockets ?

Request denied...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm up for it! I used to work behind the bar in my parent's pub before decimal coinage and it was before electronic tills and calculators as well. You were a wimp if you used pen and paper!  It was good mental exercise and woe betide you if you got it wrong because the regulars could do the sums as well!  

I used to double up as a  scorer at darts,  501 down to zero subtractions and tell them the finishes to finish on a double as well. 

Could the youngsters do the mental arithmetic now?  Lips are sealed

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
itwashimnotme
Rising Star

If it translated into my wife being able to get her desired boob job for tuppence ha'penny then i for one am all for it!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@itwashimnotme - Well it would at least be a couple of thruppeny bits.  Grin

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

The bigger thrupenny bits the better in my book!

"it would at least be a couple of thrupenny bits"

hmmm... neither she nor i would want more than a couple? however if they were included in the price then i've always thought that my wife's sister would benefit from a solid shilling's worth.

itwashimnotme
Rising Star

I'll also wager half a crown that the majority of my posts in this thread get deleted.

Community Veteran

It would be good just to get real wage packets back with real money in them.

Since their disappearance a whole industry has grown up doing nothing more except to be a parasite sucking on your hard earned cash as it moves around in a virtual world.

Some have even convinced themselves that this is all good as it's certainly easier to spend than real money in your hand.

chuffchuff
Rising Star

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

"This will not affect the pound in your pocket"

It will just be worth less.

Community Veteran

VileReynard wrote:

It will just be worth less.

It's only a matter of days before it will be lighter as well.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

shutter wrote:

Just a thought.... It`s been with us for a while,... and mainly since we decided to join the Common Market/EU... whatever it is supposed to be called...  and that is  DECIMALISATION...

Decimalisation was two years before we joined the Common market!

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well we haven't had real money for some time before decimalization promise to pay on those notes in your moths' home will not get you shiny sovereigns, if you take then to the B of E. All you will get are notes to equal face value.

This is because Churchill in 1931 removed the link with gold. That link in the depression strangled the nation, Bad as things seem now, with that history I'd rather the present uncertainties than sure unemployment and poverty of a monetary and economic strait jacket from a lack of liquidity.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Link fixed.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I'd rather have the sovereigns.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@jelv   Yeah, I know... it was all part of the plot to get us used to thinking in "forren"... ready for the europeans to take over ...

Sneaky... or what .....