cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,677
Thanks: 1,566
Fixes: 37
Registered: ‎16-10-2014

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again

7up, I’m not wanting to burst your bubble here but even rolling your own password manager is not going to keep you any safer than using a commercial offering.

However, writing your own DNS, DHCP servers and Nat32 clone is exceedingly laudable but you’re reinventing the wheel and if anything you may well end up inadvertently exposing your network to those you’re trying to exclude. So here's hoping it all goes as planned for you.

Community Veteran
Posts: 8,617
Thanks: 960
Fixes: 9
Registered: ‎02-08-2007

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again


@twocvbloke wrote:

As long as they don't mess with my sausages, I don't really care what they do... Crazy


No need for them to mess with your sausages, do you really know what goes into them ?

Check it out, you might never eat one again.

Cheesy

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,238
Thanks: 1,132
Fixes: 3
Registered: ‎06-11-2014

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again

I've seen what goes into them, it's not all eyelids and anuses, that's reserved for american style hotdogs... Grin

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,893
Thanks: 886
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎23-09-2010

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again


@AlaricAdair wrote:

persuade people to carry a personal tracking device around with themselves while paying £20 a month for the privilege. 


Also look how many have already been persuaded to hand over a DNA sample and pay for the privilege under the guise of finding their ancestors.

Community Veteran
Posts: 8,617
Thanks: 960
Fixes: 9
Registered: ‎02-08-2007

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again


@twocvbloke wrote:

I've seen what goes into them, it's not all eyelids and anuses, that's reserved for american style hotdogs... Grin


But can you really believe what it says on the label.....remember those beefburgers ? No mention on the label they contained horse meat.

Wink

NB: Anyway what do you think firms do with all the leftvovers such as giblets, gristle and the rest, if they can make money out of it they will do, and they do.......sell them as sausages wrapped in a fancy label...100% British, except they are not but because they are packed here they can claim to be British.

Smiley

Community Veteran
Posts: 14,439
Thanks: 728
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again


@AlaricAdair wrote:

Next thing you'll know is the Government will persuade people to carry a personal tracking device around with themselves while paying £20 a month for the privilege. 


Well the banks are already looking at charging us to access our own money at the ATMs - something that we can't avoid these days so anything is possible.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,439
Thanks: 728
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again


@billnotben wrote:

@AlaricAdair wrote:

persuade people to carry a personal tracking device around with themselves while paying £20 a month for the privilege. 


Also look how many have already been persuaded to hand over a DNA sample and pay for the privilege under the guise of finding their ancestors.


You have no idea just how many times i've thought that over the years but didn't want to say it as i thought folk here would ridicule me for it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,439
Thanks: 728
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again


@gleneagles wrote:

@twocvbloke wrote:

I've seen what goes into them, it's not all eyelids and anuses, that's reserved for american style hotdogs... Grin


But can you really believe what it says on the label.....remember those beefburgers ? No mention on the label they contained horse meat.

Wink

NB: Anyway what do you think firms do with all the leftvovers such as giblets, gristle and the rest, if they can make money out of it they will do, and they do.......sell them as sausages wrapped in a fancy label...100% British, except they are not but because they are packed here they can claim to be British.

Smiley


I bought some chocolate chip cookies yesterday from our local shop that i frequent every few months - if that. "The famous american cookie" it claims on the packet... and on the otherside "Made in the Netherlands" Roll eyes

 

There really is no point trusting anyone these days.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,439
Thanks: 728
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again


@Mook wrote:

7up, I’m not wanting to burst your bubble here but even rolling your own password manager is not going to keep you any safer than using a commercial offering.


Well for a start my login credentials are not stored on another companies database or sneaked out of my computer via their "installed" software. Yes you can get password managers that you install but you cannot be sure they are not transmitting your details out to some server somewhere.

My PW manager is a simple program utilising a 3rd party database component that fully encrypts the database with 256b Rijndael encryption. The master database is password protected and is only available to one client program - not shared. Sure the encryption might be crackable but not to the average joe. AFAIK there is also no decompiler for delphi executables.

So that vs a 3rd party password manager that potentially can steal your login credentials, sell them, share them, etc... and you claim mine is no safer?

 


@Mook wrote:

However, writing your own DNS, DHCP servers and Nat32 clone is exceedingly laudable but you’re reinventing the wheel and if anything you may well end up inadvertently exposing your network to those you’re trying to exclude. So here's hoping it all goes as planned for you.


Reinventing the wheel yes however I've never found any solutions that are fully customisable the way I want them - Nat32 does however come very close. Yes I'm aware of potential security leaks, I've got some people on standby to test the services as they come online on my systems (and just to be safe they'll be unknowingly testing on a DMZ'd machine - connected to the web via a dongle so my real network is protected).

But again while it is reinventing the wheel, at least i can be sure that my own solutions are not deliberately transmitting data away elsewhere.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 5,677
Thanks: 1,566
Fixes: 37
Registered: ‎16-10-2014

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again

Using 256 AES is a good choice even if its been cracked recovering keys is in the millennia, I get your point regarding the potential for a 3rd party vendor losing or abusing your password but in order to log in to a remote service they must have some knowledge of you and your password.

As regards decompiling Delphi code bad news there too I’m afraid and with all due respect in order to fully pen test your network these guys you have on standby you would want them to be at least a CEH otherwise your 'security' is limited to their level of knowledge.

Community Veteran
Posts: 18,025
Thanks: 1,691
Fixes: 20
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again

That guy, @7up , must have a hell of a lot to hide, and may well be rightly worried about the cia and mi5 hacking into his laptop..  he must also have shedloads of time on his hands to spend it re-jigging his server software, router software, and all associated "security" systems.... Phew!... 

 

Maybe cos I`m an old man.... that I couldn`t care less what the FBI CIA MI5 are up to, internationally.... I`m just going to live for today...... and enjoy the rest of my life.... be it 5 minutes or more longer...

 

As for the remarks about not trusting "externally" written software for TOR  or whatever

does that go for the operating systems we use ?   Windows 10.. ( phoning home every time you switch on,? ? ? )

  is that the only version of windows that does that?  you will never know...   

 

and as for Linux O.S.`s.    they are written by hundreds of people around the world,... can you really be so sure that it is safe to use ?....

 

. so ... to me ... it all seems a bit of a pointless exercise guarding against the CIA  FBI or MI5 ...

 

Unless, of course you are a terrorist, or some political malfunctioning person, that is a risk to the country,....

 

Spying on other governments has been around for eon`s .... so it`s nothing new... just a new twist on the old systems, to bring it up to date...

 

Get a life.... and live it...Cheesy. tomorrow you may be dead... ! Shocked

 

 

Community Veteran
Posts: 5,238
Thanks: 1,132
Fixes: 3
Registered: ‎06-11-2014

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again


@gleneagles wrote:

But can you really believe what it says on the label.....remember those beefburgers ? No mention on the label they contained horse meat.

Wink

NB: Anyway what do you think firms do with all the leftvovers such as giblets, gristle and the rest, if they can make money out of it they will do, and they do.......sell them as sausages wrapped in a fancy label...100% British, except they are not but because they are packed here they can claim to be British.

Smiley


 

Well the ones I buy (Dicksons, let's see if the swear filter takes that one out!) are made nearby in South Shields, so if I suspect anything's awry with them, I can just go knock on their door and say "Oi! What you doing with my sausages!?!"...Grin

 

As for the giblets, well, Haggis of course, which is then shipped to the US for people who think it's oh so traditional... Funny

Community Veteran
Posts: 14,439
Thanks: 728
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again


@shutter wrote:

That guy, @7up , must have a hell of a lot to hide, and may well be rightly worried about the cia and mi5 hacking into his laptop..  he must also have shedloads of time on his hands to spend it re-jigging his server software, router software, and all associated "security" systems.... Phew!... 


 That guy @shutter is becoming a right miserable and sarcastic git these days.. i'm sure i'm not the only one to have noticed!

As for having a lot to hide, no not really. I do however object to everyone trying to steal everyone elses information. The CIA are something else - they're going to achieve it anyway no matter what happens but other countries / organisations have no right to go poking around my systems.

I don't use a laptop. I have a small (underpowered) netbook but my main machine is a desktop PC - as has been mentioned so many times lately being a single core because the multi core is too noisy (that @shutter blokes memory must be going too!).

Yes I do have a lot of time at home - I'm a stay at home parent for a multitude of reasons. That means I don't "get out more" as you put it and yes I do end up trying to find things to do at home that are technical. Sorry if liking techy stuff offends you but maybe you should go and flush your camera down the toilet cos thats a gadget too!

 


@shutter wrote:

As for the remarks about not trusting "externally" written software for TOR  or whatever

does that go for the operating systems we use ?   Windows 10.. ( phoning home every time you switch on,? ? ? )

  is that the only version of windows that does that?  you will never know...   


Of course Winblows is phoning home, there's probably little the rest of us can do about it too however that doesn't mean that we should just throw our defeatest hands up in the air and let every other organisation on the earth snoop round our systems.

Actually @shutter would you mind giving me complete access to your system so i can take a look at all your personal documents, photos and other things? - I need to get more information about you, your habits, your secrets etc Knuppel

 


@shutter wrote:

 

and as for Linux O.S.`s.    they are written by hundreds of people around the world,... can you really be so sure that it is safe to use ?....

 

. so ... to me ... it all seems a bit of a pointless exercise guarding against the CIA  FBI or MI5 ...


And capital letters go at the front of a sentence you know. Likewise you don't start a line of text with a dot.

Linux is open source. You can edit it as you like to remove / add things you do or don't want. With MS Windows you can't really do that unless you're good at decompiling stuff.

 


@shutter wrote:

 Unless, of course you are a terrorist, or some political malfunctioning person, that is a risk to the country,....

 

Spying on other governments has been around for eon`s .... so it`s nothing new... just a new twist on the old systems, to bring it up to date...

 

Get a life.... and live it...Cheesy. tomorrow you may be dead... ! Shocked 


Theres no such thing as terrorist these days - the security services manage to catch them all - probably due to the fact they can hack so many devices.

What I do find odd though is how i can talk to someone on the phone about something and within minutes all across multiple websites that use the same adverts / advertising company, i'm being displayed adverts that are similar to the topic I was talking about. This is not a coincidence and eventually there will be a story there that gets blown open.

Spying on governments is one thing, spying on citizens is another. Allowing and creating methods for foreign governments and companies to use against your own citizens however is unforgivable. So the CIA might get into my machines.. well.. stuff happens. I've nothing to hide (or i'd be locked up already) however creating malware etc and letting it out in the wild for others to take advantage of is wreckless.

Consider telling all those linux programmers to get a life... if they did the internet wouldn't function you silly sausage.

 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,439
Thanks: 728
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again


@Mook wrote:

Using 256 AES is a good choice even if its been cracked recovering keys is in the millennia, I get your point regarding the potential for a 3rd party vendor losing or abusing your password but in order to log in to a remote service they must have some knowledge of you and your password.

As regards decompiling Delphi code bad news there too I’m afraid and with all due respect in order to fully pen test your network these guys you have on standby you would want them to be at least a CEH otherwise your 'security' is limited to their level of knowledge.


And if their software is a password manager Tongue You see my point? - THAT is why I'm using a homebrew PWM to keep my login credentials to many sites securely stored (plus its easier to click a button and have the username / password copied to the clipboard to be pasted straight into the login fields Cheesy)

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,025
Thanks: 1,691
Fixes: 20
Registered: ‎06-11-2007

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again

@7up  My riposte, above, was mostly in jest....  so please don`t get upset about it...  I`m not a miserable git.. just trying to lighten the doom and gloom that is going around on the forum..

 

Whatever floats your boat, to pass your time of day... and I do understand that, as a "stay at home".. there are times when you have little to do, but there are many more times when you have too much to do and so little time to do it...

 

Keep smiling....  enjoy your life,,... it is the only one you have...   Smiley