cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again

Vault7 on the wikileaks site is promising lots of juicy information about how the CIA have been coming up with one piece of malware after another to infect everything from TVs to routers and phones, even targetting the political parties in france at election time (yet the USA are all moaning about the ruskies doing the same thing to them?).

So if you've been infected by something the odds are apparently high that the CIA have been sniffing around your system for some dirt to hold on you.

The best bit? The world famous MI5 have been in on it and even been supplying code to them.

I say we abolish governments around the world. Nobody really likes or wants them and we'd all be better off without their power hungry control over us.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
46 REPLIES
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Wikileaks dropping the CIA in it again

No government? You've not thought this through have you Wink

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Didn't President Obama get into an embarrassing situation when it became known that they'd been bugging Mrs Merkel's mobile phone?

Merkel:  Vee haf vays off making you talk.

Obama:  And we have ways of listening to what you are saying.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I can see a large increase in the number of people using tor or a vpn as a result of this, sure it will not keep them safe but the authorities will have to spend more time obtaining information.

The easiest solution is to make sure you have nothing to hide, if they were able to access conversations between me & swmbo they would soon get bored and move on to someone else.

I guess what they are doing is illegal so could not use information gained in this way in a court but if it allows them to monitor criminals then from that point of view it's a positive thing.

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

The easiest solution is to make sure you have nothing to hide,

I would imagine most of the info they're after is to do with nothing illegal. Knowledge is power blah blah sort of thing.

That said there are many things today that are illegal that wasn't in the past and vice versa. So even if you think you have nothing to hide that may be just for today.

Minivanman
Hero

@gleneagles

History proves us horribly wrong if we think for one moment that "nothing to hide" keeps us safe from the intrusion of authorities. It's a dangerous and terribly naive misconception as those that hold power over us regardless of how well we 'behave' can so easily turn that same power to protect and preserve to one of oppression and control of the worst kind.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

I can see a large increase in the number of people using tor or a vpn as a result of this,

And whats to say that the CIA didn't invent VPN or Tor for the very purposes of attracting those that they want to spy on?

Unless you've written it yourself or had access to the source and compiled it yourself, you can't really trust any software that is written elsewhere these days.

Community Veteran

7up wrote:

Tor for the very purposes of attracting those that they want to spy on

I downloaded a version of TOR and was considering having a play with it and thought just that.

So I decided to decline poking my head above the parapet.

Community Veteran

Even without this the authorities already have tons of information about you...Every time you use your phone they know where you are and who you called, go into any town or city and you will be on numerous videos, even on the bus or in a Taxi there are video cameras.

Passport ? Driving licence ? NI number, use a bank ? They already have this info so what extra information are they going to gain by accessing your wifi system ?

I doubt the average person with nothing to hide is of little interest to them, far too many bad guys around who they need to sort out.

Community Veteran

7up wrote:

gleneagles wrote:

I can see a large increase in the number of people using tor or a vpn as a result of this,

And whats to say that the CIA didn't invent VPN or Tor for the very purposes of attracting those that they want to spy on?

Unless you've written it yourself or had access to the source and compiled it yourself, you can't really trust any software that is written elsewhere these days.

Whilst I understand that you cannot trust any software along with many internet sites what choice do you have other than to stop using the internet or using any wifi devices ?

Indeed you cannot even be certain that well known companies will keep you data safe including credit card details as many people have found to their cost.

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

@gleneagles

History proves us horribly wrong if we think for one moment that "nothing to hide" keeps us safe from the intrusion of authorities. It's a dangerous and terribly naive misconception as those that hold power over us regardless of how well we 'behave' can so easily turn that same power to protect and preserve to one of oppression and control of the worst kind.

If they are out to get you then they will, if they have nothing on you it's easy to circulate false rumours or alter documents, this has happened throughout history, often it's about power as seen in political circles. I doubt they would need additional material from the CIA, if you are seen as a threat then watch out, they may be watching you !

Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

As long as they don't mess with my sausages, I don't really care what they do... Crazy

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

7up wrote:

gleneagles wrote:

Whilst I understand that you cannot trust any software along with many internet sites what choice do you have other than to stop using the internet or using any wifi devices ?

Sadly there isn't much choice other than to get smart!

This week I've rolled out my own password manager that is using an encrypted database - my partner has a copy on her machine too.

In the works is my own DNS server which currently works for A, CNAME, MX and NS. Next phase is to implement the TCP server support (currently only using UDP) and then the rest of the dns record types that it needs to function both locally but also potentially as a host name server.

After that I have plans for a DHCP server which is a little more complex but given that i've learnt tons from the DNS server it will be an interesting challenge.

After that one I'd like to take a crack at a software router which works like Nat32. This would enable me full control over the traffic on our network and what comes in / goes out. It will also allow me to obfuscate things and add in extra layers of security that the domestic router might not have although being on a windows box might pose a problem lol. This one will be one seriously difficult challenge though.

That lot will in theory take care of the network traffic but any installed software is always going to be a risk. The thing is I don't really mind the CIA hunting down terrorists and blocking their destructive acts but I do object to them just assuming they can break into any of my devices at will, release malware that other states can then use to do the same, apparently hack my car (not that i can afford a hackable car but you get the idea) etc. If they'd pay for my travel and stay i'd quite happily take all my hardware over there and show them myself - at least i'd get something out of it lol.

Community Veteran

Next thing you'll know is the Government will persuade people to carry a personal tracking device around with themselves while paying £20 a month for the privilege. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

Not all of us already do. Wink