cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi repeater

UncleMeat

Wifi repeater

Hi, Ive just moved into a property and have a 40Mb / 10Mb connection up and running. my PC (which unfortunately has no wireless chip) is not in the same room as my router and so at present, i'm plugged into an old 54g linksys router with DD-WRT firmware ...set up as a repeater, in an effort to avoid drilling and cabling. i get 37-38Mb download on my phone , whereas my PC is limited to 18-19Mb due to the speed of this wireless bridge. What sort of speeds could i get if i bought one of those plugin repeaters or powerline adapters? any other options? i rlly dont want to drill and cable if poss. Any advice would be very gratefully appreciated. Thanks 🐵

16 REPLIES 16
bmc
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: Wifi repeater

@UncleMeat 

What about a WiFi USB dongle for the PC? Maybe £20 or so.

Brian

Highlighted
Baldrick1
Hero
Fixes: 105

@UncleMeat 

If it was me I would take the hit and fit an Ethernet cable. You only need to do it once and it guarantees the best possible connection. WiFi repeaters may work, all you can do is try and see if it’s acceptable.

Powerline units are another solution but their effectiveness depends on your wiring arrangements. You may find that this helps with making this choice. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

TeeGee
Aspiring Pro

Your old Linksys router is probably on the slow side but it all depends on what speed you actually need and what the distances are. I have a modern fusebox in an oldish house and never gave a thought to the mains circuitry! My router is in the old part of the house and a Devolo powerline in the kitchen on brand new wiring. It works fine delivering plug in for the TV and wifi for anything else.

Additionally, for an upstairs bedroom I bought a Netgear EX2700 and put it at the top of the stairs. To my surprise it actually delivers wifi everywhere throughout the house.

These are both rated at 300Mbs but that is not relevant to me as I only have a basic ADSL+ connection which streams everything. You can get 500Mbs versions too.

Doing it all over again I would buy powerline with wifi for two locations and turn off the wifi on my main router.

Lots of choices. Let us know what works for you as these are common problems!

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

The modern powerline adaptors give way more speed than you will ever get through most internet providers,  much better than WiFi, I don't know why anyone would run an Ethernet cable any more given the reliability and flexibility of powerline adaptors, you can get combined powerline homeplugs now with both Ethernet sockets and WiFi extender in one unit.

Tp- link TL-WPA7510 kit is good value plug and play with dual band 2.4 / 5.0 GHZ. WiFi you get two homeplugs, 1 is a wifi extender, both have Ethernet sockets  and you can add more units, free download utility as well.  Have been using for a over a year now and very reliable and fast..

Baldrick1
Hero

@wotsup 

All i can say is that my experience was totally different. I had nothing but buffering problems with Powerline units. I installed Ethernet cabling and things have been fine since.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@wotsup 

All i can say is that my experience was totally different. I had nothing but buffering problems with Powerline units. I installed Ethernet cabling and things have been fine since.

Never had buffering problem, do a regular speed test on the system and have to say that with Virgin I had 100MBs and that is what the speed test came up with every time and with Plusnet started off with 77MBs last September and that's what I got at both PCs but during the year that has dropped to just over 60 now,  but I get the same whether I am plugged directly into router or using the powerline adaptors - so that is down to plusnet sneaking my speed down not the adaptors),  and have to say the TP-Link wi-fi signal is very good from the extender and covers whole upstairs of house.  The ones I am using  now are 1Gigabyte  units, and totally reliable.  Don't use them with those surge protected extension leads though as the filters in them can degrade the signal ( high frequency will pass though capacitors in the filter and basically partially 'short circuit' the internet signal ), also if an extension lead is coiled up it acts as a choke degrades the signal.  ..

I was using older powerline units for many years with Virgin as well and they handled 100MBs easily,  but decided to treat myself to some newer ones with wi-fi extender when I changed to plusnet...

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@wotsup wrote:

and with Plusnet started off with 77MBs last September and that's what I got at both PCs but during the year that has dropped to just over 60 now,  but I get the same whether I am plugged directly into router or using the powerline adaptors - so that is down to plusnet sneaking my speed down

Most likely nothing to do with PlusNet, more likely due to VDSL cross-talk due to additional users being connected to your cabinet via your shared cable.

e.g.  https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4292790-how-has-crosstalk-affected-you.html?fpart=all&vc=1

ffox
Pro

That's spot on.  Every time a new VDSL connection is made in the Close here I lose about 2M.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@RobPN wrote:

@wotsup wrote:

and with Plusnet started off with 77MBs last September and that's what I got at both PCs but during the year that has dropped to just over 60 now,  but I get the same whether I am plugged directly into router or using the powerline adaptors - so that is down to plusnet sneaking my speed down

Most likely nothing to do with PlusNet, more likely due to VDSL cross-talk due to additional users being connected to your cabinet via your shared cable.

e.g.  https://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4292790-how-has-crosstalk-affected-you.html?fpart=all&vc=1

I don't care whose fault it is - all I am seeing is lower speeds on router than I was promised ( and got ) when I joined plusnet.  There was no proviso that said 'speed will drop steadily after we connect you due to VDSL or other factors beyond our control' - the only thing that was said was 'leave your router connected all the time as if it goes off and on the system will treat it as an unstable line and lower the speed to try and stabilise it'.... and I have never turned off the router since i joined plusnet.  Never had the problem with VM copper co-ax to premises,  the speed was rock steady at 100MBs and could have got much higher ( if i paid more for it ) but they were getting expensive as it was...

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@wotsup wrote:

Tp- link TL-WPA7510 kit is good value plug and play with dual band 2.4 / 5.0 GHZ. WiFi you get two homeplugs, 1 is a wifi extender, both have Ethernet sockets  and you can add more units, free download utility as well.  Have been using for a over a year now and very reliable and fast..

Too late to edit original post,  but the powerline wifi extender has a 'clone wifi' button,  so that the wifi extender ( s ) use exactly the same network ID and password as router.. easy peasey plug and play

Baldrick1
Hero

@wotsup wrote:

@Baldrick1 wrote:

@wotsup 

Never had buffering problem, do a regular speed test on the system and have to say that with Virgin I had 100MBs and that is what the speed test came up with every time and with Plusnet started off with 77MBs....

I have no doubt that these work really well in your property. They will do in many. What I am trying to point out is that Powerline performance relies on several factors, for example, the way a property is wired, the protection components fitted in the consumer units and also the level of background conducted radiation present on the mains supply.

So whilst Powerline units may well do everything required, they might also cause issues. Installing Ethernet cabling virtually guarantees full speed all the time. It is also cheaper to buy and install (with basic DIY skills) and the running cost is zero . Whilst Powerline devices may incorporate energy saving features they are still powered 24/7.

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Powerline is always a gamble (and not cheap). If you put in some relatively cheap ethernet, speeds between local devices can reach 1,000Mbits/sec - and provided your router also has GBit ports, your latency should also improve.

I have a cheap ethernet switch into which are plugged various devices, including my TV.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

https://www.wirebiters.com/fluorescent-lights-mess-wifi-signal/

Get rid of those flourescent bulbs,  and maybe avoid dodgy cheap LED bulbs as they can interfere with Wi-Fi

VileReynard
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 18

Never seen it happen.

circa 50Hz interfering with a 2,400,000,000Hz signal?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."