cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wierd menu options

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Wierd menu options

Josie, please be warned as a veggie, we carnivores we're going to discuss offal.
We were in a restaurant earlier this week, and on the menu was one of my favorite's; liver and bacon, however this rather pretentious eating house described it as; grilled lambs liver with panchetta, now I know that panchetta is Italian bacon (some might argue it's actually Palma ham) But why use two languages in the same sentence? and anyway, it turned out to be ordinary streaky bacon.   
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES
jmd
Grafter

Re: Wierd menu options

Quote from: petlew
Josie, please be warned as a veggie, we carnivores we're going to discuss offal.   

Why do you think I am a veggie??  I do not eat WHeat but I do eat Meat  [apologies for capitals!]
The meal sounds lovely - I would not mind what it is called! Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If it was actually "streaky bacon" and it had " Danish" written all over it...  Roll eyes  Then I think you have a clear case for the trades description default. and also "misrepresentation of  (goods) contents" of said meal. You should go back there and have the meal again, and then confront the manager, if you think you have not had "the food described on the menu" .... Just because it is a restaurant, they are not allowed to give you anything that "resembles" the menu.... if it says Dutch Cheese, then you should get Dutch Cheese, not a rubbery version of cheddar.  (if you see what I mean )
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Palma ham is normally eaten as bought, it is a salted and air cured ham that requires no cooking, it is normally cut very thin.
Pancetta resembles unsmoked bacon that in Italy is not sold sliced but in a roll, it can be eaten raw as an antipasto, but is very fatty, it is normally cut into strips and cooked like bacon.
Taken from an Italian Kitchen Bible
Community Veteran

Sorry Josie, thought I recalled you mentioning you were (my intentions were honourable anyway)
Thank's pierre, my original gripe was the use of two languages. The liver and bacon was very nice thank you.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 104

Do like liver, not sure I'd eat much else that would be considered offal - anybody else?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Other than kidneys (steak and kidney pie thank you - yummy) I have at various times and in various countries eaten brains (Jugoslavia), bulls pistle (at risk of upsetting the more delicate I won't elaborate) (Romania), bulls testicles (Yugoslavia) , bears paw (China), tortoise in the shell (China again) but by far the worst was Sea Cucumber (China) known to westerners who have had to eat it at official banquets as sea slug because that is what it looks and feels like.
Community Veteran

Can`t understand how anyone can eat liver, (or kidneys)  from any animal...... You do know what it does ? don`t you?
EEEeeaargh !  Yuk !  Shocked
Fixes: 104

Forgot about kidneys but i do like them!
Might try bear paw, not sure about the rest though!
Quote from: shutter
You do know what it does ? don`t you?

Filters the alcohol out?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

consider a "liquid" version of a bagless vacuum cleaner ( generic term Strat) air filter......
All the muck and sludge that is in the blood stream, goes through the liver, and kidneys !.....
Then you cook it and eat it.....  and enjoy it ?  Roll eyes
jmd
Grafter

Liver is very good for you - has lots of nutrients in it....................... at one time if you were aneamic you had to eat tons of of it until they realised they could give you iron tablets! Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

You have to be more careful with kidney, Just asked the wife, she didnt know, but I think they are bad for you if not fresh.  Still I love steak and Kidney pie.
I think I would prefer Back bacon with my liver, the Panchetta is belly pork and very fatty.  dont know how you would be able to tell when it is cooked with liver.  But the Caf is correct in saying English liver and Pancetta,  after all you would have to say Balsamic vinegar that can only, by law come from Modena. (altough and I dont know how a firm in Suffolk are selling English Balsamic via Sainsbury)
Like wise Champagne, invented by an English man can only come from NE France.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim

(China), tortoise in the shell (China again) but by far the worst was Sea Cucumber (China) known to westerners who have had to eat it at official banquets as sea slug because that is what it looks and feels like.

The Chinese I understand have a saying; if it moves with it's back to the Sun, the Chinese will cook it and eat it. Only a wolfs heart and a dogs lungs will they refuse to eat.

jmd
Grafter

I do not like Chinese food.
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
All the muck and sludge

[Homer Simpson Drooling noise]
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm noisome ...
[/Homer Simpson Drooling noise]