cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Wi-Fi

Been having constant problems with wi-fi connections on my laptop to my router recently. It would either become very slow or disappear altogether. The wi-fi printer suffered similar problems. The cable connected desktop PC didn't suffer. This led to daily sometimes twice a day re-boots of the router.
I was in the market for a new router I thought.
Then I found the problem...I switched off the wi-fi in my iPhone which was set to my router...result...completely fixed.
I don't actually remember switching it on (although I might have done) but the problem started (I now realise) after a large software update for the iPhone, which may have left wi-fi on without me realising it.
Got wi-fi problems? check your iPhone or others similar.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro

Re: Wi-Fi

I had a similar problem with my Now TV Boxes.
When they first arrived, all connected no problem, then put away in a drawer.
I checked them out recently, they all wouldn't connect  to the Internet via the router WiFi with a stable connection
Even when placed adjacent to the Router !
My iMacs always connect(ed) no problem via WiFi ...
After much resetting of Now TV Boxes, and Router, I finally discovered what the problem was.....

Samknows Whitebox, I know their WiFi is just a sniffer, but once I unplugged the short Ethernet cable between Whitebox & Router, all the Now TV Connection problems disappeared immediately.
I informed Samknows, all they stated was to return the Whitebox !
Community Veteran

I had something similar with a Logitech TV Cam that was to be used for viewing Skype video calls on the TV. It worked Ok but it caused so much disruption to other wi-fi devices similar to the OP I took it out of service and everything else returned to normal.
Logitech simply claimed no knowledge of the problem and declined to assist. Some members may recall me asking if I could could run two routers (er! no!) on one BB connection, it was to try to overcome this problem.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

if you set up the slave router a seperate network you can, Its how I have my kids getting internet access (main router gives slave an ip adreess, slave broadcasts different network address range to clients) its also good for because I can time limit the slave router's connection and not be accused of messing up the other halfs connection,
my kids on there tablets are always complaining that they loose internet connectivity 3 or 4 times a day if I don't reboot the slave (which has the ssid of "icraponly"), it was my only way of dealing with the weirdness caused by the apple stuff (probably something to do with them using a different networking protocol) still it all works and its kept everyone happyish for the last 9 months
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
WTF
Grafter

I'm a bit confused: are these IP confict issues or something more technical?
My missus frequently has speed/connectivity issues with her (OS X) laptop (particularly when she's on her work VPN) which I can't replicate with my (Windows) laptop, (Android) phone or our TV.
I'd love to be able to get her laptop working: currently she blames PlusNet, despite me showing her the BB working fine on other devices.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

as I understand the problem is something to do with bonjour protocol used by apple when everything else uses a different protocol
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
WTF
Grafter

Thanks - I guess I need to learn more about this bonjour protocol  Sad
Why does Apple have to be different  Roll eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Because they want you to buy Apple routers and wireless access points, and lock you into their eco-system  Sad
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew
Then I found the problem...I switched off the wi-fi in my iPhone

One interesting side effect of this, along with switching off G3 is improved battery life between charges.