cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why to should buy a dash cam -

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Why to should buy a dash cam -

Have a look at this video of my accident this morning. The guy clearly DOESN'T LOOK when he pulls out in front of me.

When I challenged him he says where are your witnesses? I say I have you on VIDEO [-Censored-]

I thought I had missed him but on checking after parking I saw it was scrapped on the front bumper so got his details, after threatening him with the cops since he didn't want to give me them.

Video is only 10 sec long, just enough to let you see the accident.

So get a dash cam, even a cheap one - this one was about £20.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules.

19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Why to should buy a dash cam -

Just goes to show how useful a tool the Dashcam is, as soon as one is mentioned, the guilty party just happens to go quiet... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@HairyMcbiker

Fully agree ,these days there are so many bad drivers out there a dashcam is essential these days.

@shutteralso recommends a sign in you rear window to say ' Do not tailgate' which includes a camera sign.

Fixes: 158

I received a dash-cam for my birthday last September.

A few weeks ago I was involved in an incident and as soon as the other party saw the dash-cam he made a rapid exit.

He was uninsured

Fortunately the damage to my car was easily and cheaply fixed.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 63.0 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

I keep mulling over a dash cam but being tight i keep reminding myself that the mobile phone can do the same job.. not that i ever remember to put it in its holder and hit record..

Guess i'll have to shell out for one soon then..

@HairyMcbiker glad that you're ok!

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

In the news agents this morning the front cover of the Mail on Sunday is giving away free ones, but what you need to do to get one I don't know.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Your event brings back memories of my teens. I used to hitch hike a lot to get to rock climbing areas and we couldn't afford the long trip bus fares. In one scary memorable lift I remember the driver rushing into a roundabout and having to slam on the brakes to avoid a crash. My driver cursed the other car: "Stupid B****** is supposed to give way to the left."

Shortly after I remembered that I needed to be dropped off at the next junction, because my mates would be picking me up! Even at age 16, I was well aware of the highway code. I must say the driving standards in Derbyshire have not improved since then.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

@Mook wrote:

In the news agents this morning the front cover of the Mail on Sunday is giving away free ones, but what you need to do to get one I don't know.

Must admit I do not know either but the usual setup is collecting a number of tokens from the paper so if you do not already get it then the total cost of the papers might work out higher that the cost of a cheap dashcam.

Community Veteran

@7up it could have been a lot worse, if I had been going just a little faster, or hadn't had ABS or fast reflexes.
As can be seen on the vid he pulls out right in front of me, I slammed on the brakes and felt the ABS working to keep from a skid, even though I was only doing about 20 at the time. If it had been a fraction of a sec later then he would have smashed into my nearside, as it was all I have is a scraped bumper for the insurance to sort out.
Also the fact he wasn't a boy racer, must have been in his 70's, and his attitude "where are your witnesses" I mean what kind of person says that, when HE has caused an accident? I wish I had my phone with me at the time and recorded his attitude.

Just checked the gov database: And it IS taxed and mot'ed. So hopefully insured as well.
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

How bad is the damage? You might be better off long term by not making a claim (whether that be off his insurers or not) and paying for or fixing it yourself.

Fixes: 158

A relative of mine was rear end shunted at a roundabout a few months ago which she reported to her insurance company.

This week she had a renewal quote from her insurance and it had almost doubled.

She phoned the company and negotiated a substantial discount.

She's now thinking about a dash-cam.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 63.0 (64-bit)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@HairyMcbiker wrote:
Also the fact he wasn't a boy racer, must have been in his 70's, and his attitude "where are your witnesses" I mean what kind of person says that, when HE has caused an accident?.

Some of the old timers are the worst and most arrogant people out there.

Moons ago i was driving round our local ASDA car park - the side bit. As I was coming back out into the main bit some daft old codger came hurtling past, I've hit the brakes, he's hooting at me and shouting profanity and making hand gestures, then shouts that i'm unsafe and nearly hit him etc.

So I stayed stationary and waited to see where he pulled up to park. Then I got out of the car and paid him a little visit - he wasn't so keen on that. I pointed out that unlike him, i was travelling rather slowly and I managed to stop,without losing my rag and becoming threatening.

The bloke was utterly lost for words. He literally just looked at me stunned as if he'd suddenly realised what he'd done. That was enough for me, i walked away and left the stupid moron to it.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

@MJN not bad but it is the principle of the thing. Already contacted my insurer and arranged a repair, £150 it is costing me, BUT I will be claiming it back either via the insurer or the courts. (I have motor legal insurance)
Community Veteran

Another reason, just received this from my insurer when I queried why I was being charged the excess when not at fault:

Excess is payable regardless of fault/liability.  There are certain circumstances when we can waive the excess however this is not usual, standard practice and is subject to  limited circumstances.

I have now sent you and the repairer an email to waive your excess.  However this was not possible to begin with as I did not have the dash cam footage.  Now I am happy we will recover our cost I have amended this.

(my bold)

I was going to be charged the excess and have to wait till it was settled to get a refund, now I don't have to pay it/recover it.

If I hadn't had that footage I would be £150 out of pocket for several months.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Funny enough, yesterday I saw my first 'dash cam on board' sticker on a cars back window. 

We've seen the future, but then so has everybody else. Sad

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.