cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why people voted for Brexit

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Why people voted for Brexit

@gleneagles    I have no idea, which is why I asked a hypothetical question!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@nozzer the simple answer to you hypothetical. Question is that a large proportion of those who voted Brexit were not benefiting from EU membership and saw their local communities and services getting trashed. The just didn't care anymore for convoluted arguments they just wanted to be listened to and something done!

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus  I fully understand that. It's the same reason Trump was successful.

I personally can take it or leave it, but not at any price.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@nozzer

But stay or leave you must admit you do not know the price whichever option you take ?

Bit like life really, we all have to make decisions and looking back there are some things we will be pleased about but others it might be.......'If only I had done/ not done that'

198kHz
Champion
Fixes: 15

@nozzer wrote:

May I ask a purely hypothetical question?

If, at the end of the negotiation period, it is looking obvious that any agreement which we may or may not have reached with the 27 EU states is absolutely no good to us because it does not help our economy, or the cost of leaving is enormous, how many would still want us to leave come what may? Even if it then meant that our exports suffer badly until replacement agreements can be set up and we have to start paying full import duties to whoever.

Yes, because if we don't leave now we never will. I voted with a view to how things might be in 25 years, as part of the subsumed 35 nation United States of Europe.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
tstaddon
Rising Star

@nozzer - I'm rather hoping that the next two years of negotiations will run parallel to the EU adapting to the realities of all the factors I mentioned... because if they don't, then Brexit will be the least of their problems.

No matter how rotten the negotiations go from our standpoint, we're going to end up at a point where the choice'll be to

(a) continue with Brexit

(b) abandon Brexit on the basis that the EU is not the same institution it was before we held the referendum and people on both sides of the debate here as well as our partners in Europe accept those changes have made a u-turn more acceptable.

(c) scrap Brexit despite Brussels not budging an inch over that two years, resenting our decision to leave, objecting to the sheer amount of time and money we've wasted on Brexit, and believing we're still not enthusiastic enough as a nation about Europe to be worth a second chance.

I think of option (c) being a bit like having a colleague at work who won't quit despite making it obvious that they don't like the company or the job. Under what circumstances would that person retract their resignation, and how would they convince people that it's not because they hate the current job less than the job offers they've had from elsewhere? And if they had spent a very long notice period doing very little apart from creating havoc for their colleagues, what would the response be to "I've changed my mind..."

Luzern
All Star

@Minivanman wrote:

Well I'm a fly in that ointment having voted Brexit - what with being old and dare I say it, well educated.

I guess there must be a T-shirt out there somewhere for me Thumbs Up 

What is well educated? Does it mean at grammar or public school; to A Level or beyond that; uni with degree (level?) or professional qualification (associateship)? Of course I voted to remain.

Whatever the analysts have said I don't think the division was so clear cut, as when I took early retirement (29 years ago) an advisor suggested my level (underlined) was about 10% of working population. That 48% of those voting were stayers suggests that a good number of that 48% were not particularly well educated.

I think things like background, family values, other imponderables and inertia threw the balance

I'm not decrying the decision made, but I think it is inevitable that as matters progress, all bar either side's headbangers, will ask why they voted as they did>

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

What is well educated?

To the statisticians that means you wear a suit to work. Have a Swedish Au pair and eastern European servants. Not forgetting a chauffeur called John.

Community Veteran

My main beef with leaving under bad circumstances is that I just don't trust career politicians to truly represent me. Their priorities are probably not mine. For that reason I would be worried if we were cornered into accepting a bad deal. Which is why I have said elsewhere on here that I believe some kind of final assessment is vital before it's accepted.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Career politicians or sprogs of those that have gone before, never have or ever will get my vote.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 22

@jelv wrote:

Time will tell, but I expect to see in the not too distant future a very significant proportion of those who voted for Brexit are very disappointed to find that the benefits they expected (were promised?) are not going to actually happen.

I expect a large proportion of the people who voted for Brexit will be a lot more than disappointed if we don't actually leave the EU.

198kHz
Champion
Fixes: 15

'More than disappointed' is somewhat understating it!

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Even those who voted to remain should have cause for concern if Brexit does not happen after all, what would that tell us all about democracy? A long way to go yet and an uncertain future for the world but at least it will be our uncertainty and not a collection compiled by limp wristed EU liberals.

How right Marx was when he wrote 'we have nothing to lose but our chains'. 

Luzern
All Star

Now we have buttons and double flush.Crazy

The way the world is going, without wishing for it, I can see a situation where all bets are off. Brexit or Remainsit would be irrelevancies.Shocked

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well it's going to be an interesting 2017 that's for sure..... if Trump does not cause us to get nuked first. Crazy2

The first appearance of trouble ahead is going to chat rooms such as this being shut down, it's already started with the film information site IMDB. 

A muting of modern day dissent and discord? Who can tell.