Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why people voted for Brexit

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

No comment needed on this!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-38762034

The data confirms previous indications that local results were strongly associated with the educational attainment of voters - populations with lower qualifications were significantly more likely to vote Leave. (The data for this analysis comes from one in nine wards)

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Why people voted for Brexit

That sounds exactly the same as saying those with more money wanted to stay.

Great spin by the rich elite lets blame the "uneducated" for the loss of a few mill on share options.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Or, it could be that, unlike the rich "I'm alright jack" sorts, the "lesser educated" who are working hard jobs for peanuts decided to keep their money they've earned and paid in taxes to the gov and the EU in this country, rather than piddled away on countries where their financial responsibilities are less than stellar never to be seen again... Smiley

But of course, we all know which way the media would swing this one...

198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

That would indeed be very interesting, but the article actually analysed who voted for Brexit.

Not young enough to know everything
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Well I'm a fly in that ointment having voted Brexit - what with being old and dare I say it, well educated.

I guess there must be a T-shirt out there somewhere for me Thumbs Up 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Time will tell, but I expect to see in the not too distant future a very significant proportion of those who voted for Brexit are very disappointed to find that the benefits they expected (were promised?) are not going to actually happen.

There were a lot of outright lies during the campaign (by both sides). Even Nigel Farage has said that the increased health care promise was a lie: http://usuncut.com/world/brexit-campaign-ukip-complete-lie/ (to be fair to him that report is wrong - he never made that claim).

Perhaps more better educated people realised claims on both sides were dubious and voted for the status quo rather the the leap in to the unknown that we have taken.

jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

It's strange really, but when I voted in the referendum I didn't note my educational qualifications on the ballot paper. The local authority who have access to my ballot paper also do not know my educational history. I just wonder how this "research" was sourced.

Back in 1975 I voted to stay in the Common Market,  yet in 2016 I voted to leave the Federal States of the EU which is governed by unaccountable officials not elected by the UK populace. I know there's MEPs but they are largely ineffectual in the EU power structure.

I do take umbrage at these assertions and sneers from the Remain camp that I'm somehow lacking in educational qualification because I didn't swallow the Project Fear message and follow the sheeple who want to be ruled over and taxed by the EU. I'm certainly no xenophobe as I've worked in many European countries and still keep in contact with the friends I made there.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
quelquod
Aspiring Pro

Statistics are fun and in polls a lot comes down to the questions asked. I wonder whether more people with Fords voted for Brexit than those with Fiats?

In my case I'm pretty well educated (swank!) but voted to leave because I'm opposed to a federal Europe (or at least to being part of it). Maybe it would be more pertinent to ask WHY people voted as they did and related that to the economics and demographics of their area?

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
Fixes: 47

quelquod wrote:

I wonder whether more people with Fords voted for Brexit than those with Fiats?

I have a Ford and I voted Brexit.

That's pretty conclusive.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
tstaddon
Rising Star

I voted to Brexit. I don't match the demographic. I've spent a fair chunk of the last 2 years working onsite, in different countries in mainland Europe, and with some very large companies. I am not monolingual.

I never took any of the promises of the Leave campaign seriously, but at the same time I heard nothing from the official Remain campaign that demonstrated any real enthusiasm for staying in (unless you count some of the more emotionally incontinent rants along the lines of "if you don't love the EU unconditionally, then you must be thick and racist" as positive arguments.

Corbyn's attempt to win sceptics over was the most genuine; I can relate to a reluctant remainer who wants to keep the civil / equality / migration rights intact but who thinks the ECB and other aspects of the EU machinery need serious reform. Unfortunately, Labour's shadow cabinet, its most prominent pro-EU back bench voices, and even the Labour members of the official Remain campaign (people like Hilary Benn, Stephen Kinnock, Alan Johnson, Yvette Cooper) seemed a bit too busy plotting the Chicken Coup to bother to even turn up on the campaign trail. (I can dig out proof from July 2015 that they were planning to use the referendum result to oust Corbyn if he was still leader by then).

So why did I vote to Leave? Well, I spent some time in Europe, and I heard a lot of simmering resentment for the EU even from inside some institutions you'd think are die-hard Brussels-phile. I know that there are countries in the Eurozone which dare not hold a referendum like ours because they fear the same result. Trump's election throws another curve ball into the mix.

The institutions of the EU (in Brussels) constitute an immovable object which is about to be hit by a series of unstoppable forces-  on freedom of movement (we might complain about inward migration; some eastern European states are suffering from an unsustainable brain drain!), defence, international trade, economic and cultural divergences between the core of France/Germany/Benelux and PIIGS and eastern Europe and Scandinavia, and Russian / American foreign policy changes.

You couldn't even get all 27 countries to agree a trade deal with Canada without progress on it almost being derailed by tiny little lobby groups in small member states. That's just unsustainable.

The UK is the Cassandras of this battle and most of the EU thinks we've never bought into their pet project so they don't want to listen to anything negative we say on the subject.

With us out of the way, maybe the Eurozone will finally be able to crack with creating a 2 tier membership where everyone's broadly in agreement about the common aims of the bloc, and Ever Closer Union can proceed to unite the more compatible member states (politically and economically) into a federal superstate.

Leaving the EU is going to have negative repercussions on us in the short term, but I think the alternative was to stay in the EU and help fuel the cultural and political inertia that is driving it into the buffers.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm disgusted that the Anti British Broadcasting Corporation continue to publish this sort of twaddle.

we've just avoided the disintegration of of a cohesive society and the civil unrest which would follow because the people still trust the ballot box to right their grievances! 

The government better get on with implementing the referendum now as vast sections of society are running out of patience.

What does the national broadcaster think it is doing publishing this stuff designed to force a wedge between sections of society, isn't it their job to foster social cohesion Ticked off

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

May I ask a purely hypothetical question?

If, at the end of the negotiation period, it is looking obvious that any agreement which we may or may not have reached with the 27 EU states is absolutely no good to us because it does not help our economy, or the cost of leaving is enormous, how many would still want us to leave come what may? Even if it then meant that our exports suffer badly until replacement agreements can be set up and we have to start paying full import duties to whoever.

Community Veteran

Some excellent replies to the OP, no intention of adding more as my views are well known in previous posts about why I supported Britexit.

@jelv

There is one thing we can both agree on regarding Britexit, no matter what I or others like me say you will never change your mind on wanting to remain and despite what you or others might say you will not change my mind.

Smiley

Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus

The BBC are very biased in their reporting on topics such as Britexit and TM.

They would be better presenting the actual news than expressing an opinion.

Community Veteran

nozzer wrote:

May I ask a purely hypothetical question?

If, at the end of the negotiation period, it is looking obvious that any agreement which we may or may not have reached with the 27 EU states is absolutely no good to us because it does not help our economy, or the cost of leaving is enormous, how many would still want us to leave come what may? Even if it then meant that our exports suffer badly until replacement agreements can be set up and we have to start paying full import duties to whoever.

May I ask a hypothetical question ?

Will there still be 27 EU states in 2 years time ?