cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why on earth are people letting off fireworks this evening!!

jmd
Grafter

Why on earth are people letting off fireworks this evening!!

AngryWell, bad enough fireworks round Bonfire Night  - and I suppose we will hear them New Years Eve.
But why this evening!  They  suddenly started 15 minutes ago......................... and they are very loud ones!
Startled the dog from her dinner!
Right that is my rant over..........................[for the moment!] Angry
and I know it is the season of goodwill but  Angry
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Why on earth are people letting off fireworks this evening!!

Some people are saying that fireworks should only be allowed by license - and these licenses would only be given to duly qualified people, and that all displays should be licensed by the councils.
After all they are explosives after all, and many, many people are horribly injured by them every year, and many animals find them terrifying.
I can see where these people are coming from - but I have reservations about freedom of the individual etc..
tricky one.........
mal - sitting on the fence  Huh
Community Veteran

Maybe it's someone's birthday - I think some people do celebrate with fireworks (particularly if it's a 'big' birthday e.g. 21st) seeing as they're easily available at this time of the year.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: mal0z
but I have reservations about freedom of the individual etc..

but 'the freedom of the many outweigh the freedom of the few' Wink
or 'all people are free but some seem more free than others' Smiley
apologies to the originators of those quotes Undecided
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Personally I would like to see all fire sales banned to unlicensed individuals and groups. There are many reasons for this, but as the majority of firework use I come across is the irresponsible kind, this is the main reason for my view.
You need a license to purchase gunpowder in metal and plastic casings, so why not cardboard ones too?
Fixes: 47

...and considering the recent thread about the restrictions on the sale and transportation of Christmas crackers Shocked surely a more potent explosive such as a firework should carry far more stringent controls.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
but 'the freedom of the many outweigh the freedom of the few' Wink

I do agree really - but just nervous about all the things the government has done to take away our freedoms .
But i remember one of the best firework displays I thing I ever saw.
Not a big commercial one, but it was at midnight in 1999 - I was on some fairly high ground out in the contryside nears Ellesmere in the borders, and all around us as far as you could see, about 20 miles - there were large displays - and that would not have been possible given such restrictions.
But on balance - yes I agree  licensing the use of them
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Does this mean Josie is on top of the list for a "Damp Squib Award".....  Roll eyes    as per another thread HuhHuh? Grin Cheesy
Community Veteran

So how would firework licenses effect the hobby of Model Rocketry?
Community Veteran

That's the sort of thing I was alluding to - how do you control fireworks whilst preserving the rights of sensible people to do such things as you mention.
How do model rocketers ensure they avoid aircraft - controlled airspace etc - do they need to contact air traffic control by phone ?.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I had them At 23:17 Xmas day , but this came up just after 5th Nov, It was a Hindu Festival then
But I blame Lidl (Amongst others) http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20081227.p.Black_Nebula_Selection_Pack.ar2?
Community Veteran

Quote from: chillypenguin
So how would firework licenses effect the hobby of Model Rocketry?

I would say in the same way a Shotgun license affects the purchase of fireworks.
Community Veteran

With shops selling fireworks over such a long period these days I guess it's inevitable people will buy them for events other than Bonfire night.  I've no objection so long as they are used properly.
Community Veteran

The selling of fireworks is controlled (ironically by the same legislation as applied to the crackers), and they can only be sold at certain times of the year (Guy Fawkes, Chinese new year, divali and new year among them), how you would licence the actual use isn't  easy (certainly those who sell fireworks make a huge profits from it).
John
Community Veteran

Licensing in theory is straight forward. Unless you have a license you can't purchase and records must be kept of all sales. Also their should be greater controls of unauthorised use in public open spaces.
This is worth a read for more information on the current legislation / regulations.
Edit: Corrected mistake in the link.