cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why make us wait...?

Fixes: 123

Why make us wait...?

Received my Home Contents renewal quote yesterday.
After reviewing the policy and the fact they have set to automatically renew, make it difficult to ring on anything other than an 0844 number (I have found an 0800) and the quote is quite high compared to recent quotes I have decided not to renew with them. After going through all the options, listening to the usual rubbish music I get the following message after 6 minutes
Sorry, owing to a local emergency we are unable to take your call at the moment. Please try again later.
This has been going on for the last hour 90 minutes or so. Can you imagine the cost if I was using the 0844 number?
Why not have the 'can't take any calls' message right from the start Angry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

7 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Why make us wait...?

Is it possible that their system is borked ?Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Maybe the fire alarm went off while you were in the queue mav?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!

I tried again and they're still suffering from the 'local emergency'.
Still not getting any message to that effect till 6 minutes of music has passed.
One wonders if I'd get through using the 0844 number but I'm not going to try Wink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Tried again with the same message as yesterday. Found an 0870 number and selected the correct buttons for Home Renewals to finally get through to someone who had nothing to do with Home Renewals Angry
Transferred and 20 minutes later was finally answered! Then the stupid questions. 'Before I stop renewal are there any changes to your policy.' She wouldn't listen when I explained that if there were any changes I would have rang to let them know but as I am stopping the renewal the question is irrelevant! She wanted an explicit yes or no! She went on to explain that once renewal is stopped changes to the current policy cannot be made. That just seems totally wrong to me.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Perhaps a simpler way would have been to write a letter to them.... explaining that you do/did not want to renew, and in the interim period..i.e. before the policy actually time expired... arranged new cover with another insurer....
then contacting the bank to cancel any direct debt... at the same time contacting the old insurance company by writing, to cancel their instructions for direct debit payments from your account.

With today's instant communications it shouldn't be necessary to write a letter for such a simple instruction.
I have already arranged cover elsewhere having received the renewal notice a couple of days ago. I always pay for annually with a credit card paying that off monthly taking advantage of the interest free credit period.
I have decided to complain and found their on-line complaints form which only relates to Pet, Car and Van Bike! I have found an email address so will send my complaint to that initially. If I don't get a satisfactory response then I will send by post.

Community Veteran

It makes you wonder what their claims service would be like Undecided