cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why isn't the government spending money on this?

techguy
Grafter

Why isn't the government spending money on this?

Saw this piece today on a machine called the Cyberknife which is being installed at a private clinic in London and several countries already have which is used to deliver intense radiotherapy to cancer tumours.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7791315.stm

Better investment than the Olympics methinks.
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Why isn't the government spending money on this?

An interesting piece of equipment and it's to be hoped the NHS get a number of these for its use.  No cost is given for the knife but I assume it won't be cheap judging by the cost of treatment.
techguy
Grafter

Having lost an Uncle to brain cancer I'd rather my taxes were spent on such equipment so that a good propirtion of people and their families are saved from the devestation of inoperable cancer rather than two minute wonders like the Olympics or the New Year's Eve firework display over the Thames tomorrow night which will cost goodness knows how much.
Anyway more info on the machine is available on the manufacturer's site http://www.accuray.com/
Community Veteran

A very informative site.  It seems that it could be a very cost effective form of treatment when you take into account the current cost of drugs and hospital stays.
techguy
Grafter

Maybe we should petition Gordo to get one or more for the NHS, I wonder how many people's lives would be saved that currently have little or no hope.
Community Veteran

It will come, if it proves to be effective. As the article says France (which sounds like it has the most in Europe) only has three on trial at present.
Community Veteran

Having been heavily involved and seen recently what the NHS does spend its money on I think Chilly is spot on. If it works and is cost-effective they'll use them.
techguy
Grafter

I certainly hope so
Community Veteran

PET scanners were very slow to be introduced into the UK although they proved very effective.  Cost was the main barrier and even today there are only 18 scanners in the country including 3 portable ones.
techguy
Grafter

My concerns stem from government willingness to spend money on garbage like the Dome and the Olympics instead of stuff that matters