cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it fashionable... to...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Why is it fashionable... to...

Change the name of a company to make it sound like an insult....
e.g  Daily Fail for Daily Mail
Royal Fail for Royal Mail
Herpes for Hermes
and others.....  It might seem "funny" to the perpetrators, but it really does show up how small minded these people really are....
Personally, I think it is stupid and childish.... If you have a gripe with a company... then gripe away.. but gripe away at the company`s "proper" business name... not some pathetic nom-de-plume.
20 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Why is it fashionable... to...

agree, M$ is another that I dislike.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Fixes: 121

There was a discussion about this some time ago where it was actually banned on these fora.
Eventually, after a further discussion the ban, was reduced to anything PN related.
I agree it does seem a little petty. Actually I saw the Herpes-related one the other day and had no idea at the time which company it was intended to insult. I'm probably not the only one that has happened to which means the insult has actually been a waste of effort Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ref: OP
+1
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
randpwar
Grafter

Oh come on, it really isn't harmful given that it’s directed at organisations in fun, whether you find it funny or not, and adds irreverence; which is a good thing in my opinion. I read the Guardian but nearly always refer to it as the Grauniad
I remember years ago as a young man reading the NME where they routinely changed the names of groups / singers…Loose Windscreen and Inflatus Blow for instance, for….well, go on, guess! 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re OP  +2
Specially when there is an attempt to bypass the swear filter as well
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

@randpwar. Private Eye magazine prints newspaper name changes all the time, but are mostly rearrangement of, or additional letters rather than full on insults.
Those you refer to in NME were not usually insulting, usually merely amusing puns.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
WTF
Grafter

I have no problem with it - well, except for the fact I routinely refer to Oracle as Orifice .. even when I really shouldn't
TORPC
Grafter

What are your thoughts on
Snail Mail ?Huh
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I really can't see a problem. I thought puns were popular on this forum.
Quote from: randpwar
I remember years ago as a young man reading the NME where they routinely changed the names of groups / singers…Loose Windscreen and Inflatus Blow for instance, for….well, go on, guess!  

Er, you've got me there, but I remember Busty Springboard and Olivia Neutron Bomb.
Not young enough to know everything
Fixes: 47

Quote from: randpwar
Oh come on, it really isn't harmful given that it’s directed at organisations in fun,

Fun is fine but some do get a bit tedious after a while.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
TORPC
Grafter

Yes there was mention of certain paper(s) that were referred to on a regular basis, within the past 6 months on these very forums
Now & then in the right context, maybe accepted by some not all unfortunately,
That said
It did quieten down
Community Veteran

@Shutter, I agree with you, it's rather childish IMO Wink
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

it might be mildy immature to give bad service's or organisations a slight variation on there name however it also demonstrates that the person using it doesn't rate them as a credible institution.
herpes for My Hermes, why because there spread all over the place and offer a substandard service
daily hail for the mail because they promote the same fascist agenda today as they did during the war
micro shite for Microsoft because for years every time they release a fix for something they break something else
shitty link for city link because its rare for something to arrive undamaged (if at all) and they offer nothing but abuse for over a decade
there's others but those are the favourites

if you disagree with the sentiment your free to use the correct name, but as with anything everyone will have a different opinion, personally I find the attempts to sanitise forums of what I consider innocuous but puerile jibes as indicative of  the failure to see the funny side

as for attempting to subvert the filter, I deliberately use the star key so that the words I intend are gleaned from the name rather than the [Censored] filter block which totally obscures all detail, if that's not allowed then I'll stop doing it but nobody has ever said it wasn't permitted
jim:red Avoidance of swear filter removed mod:end
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I refer you to this Forum Rule which you linked to but obviously didn't read
Use of inappropriate language
The use of swear words, or disguised swear words, in a post is not allowed on the forums. Any attempt to avoid the swear filter will be dealt with.