cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is it almost impossible to find anything made in England today?

pin2011
Grafter

Why is it almost impossible to find anything made in England today?

On a recent retail therapy expedition I began to look at where things are made and surprise surpise almost every item I looked at is made in China. The range of items is quite extensive from Mens suits to shoes, socks,christmas trinkets, lights for the xmas tree and of course the various laptops'
Is there nothing made in 'Good Ol England' anymore??
Although if you watched the Airbus program last night on the construction of the wings for the Dreamliner? That was most impresssive showing what can be achieved by the manufacturing sector.
Now, with all the problems of this debt laden country (the DEFICIT), do we really need all this Chinese junk to satisfy the
spending urge of the Great British people??
  Cool Ooops just remembered the hybrid router is also made in China.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Why is it almost impossible to find anything made in England today?

Minor pedantry - Boeing make the Dreamliner, not Airbus..... Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Don't you remember that previous governments decided that we are a service nation and the banks can make all the money the country needs. Cheesy
Making things like train carriages is handed to other countries now.
Doesn't a lot of stuff just have made in the EU on it now?
Made in the EU like Euro's, barmy laws. huge debts, back handers, and trough swilling EU MP's.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

The reason stuff isn't made here is because of sky high costs and then the bullying government and its taxmen.
If you can survive the running costs then the chances are the taxman and other nasty government chums is going to start trying to squeeze every penny out of you that you don't have any responsibility to pay. Remember Dyson? - Used to be a British company and then one day the Inland Revenue turned its red eyes of attentional envy to it. Press releases soon followed with a threat that the company would seek pastures new and BLiar, greedy Gordon and chums decided to turn the screw just a bit more, Today we're left with another company that has gone and now takes money out of the UK back to its manufacturing facility on foreign shores.
The powers that be decided that the pen is mightier than the sword in times gone by and in recent years they decided that vast zero's on a computer screen was mightier than manufacturing. I am of course talking about banks and their fortunes that spanned the vast area of debt. Manufacturers were taxed into the land of the outlaws and our numerically challenged friends who couldn't count peas in a shooter were let loose across the land.
Today we stand in the United Krumble. Created by those with a thirst for huge profits created by even bigger losses, we've nothing left to be proud of now.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
The reason stuff isn't made here is because of sky high costs and then the bullying government and its taxmen.

Wrong! The reason manufacturing has faded in this country is because of the people that live here whose purchasing criteria is based on the cheapest price possible, irrespective of the quality or where the product came from.
To compete with this attitude, UK manufacturers have had to reduce costs of their products buy outsourcing complete products or components.
An example would be a company who made a quality high specification quality product that was acknowledged as the best available being replaced by an inferior low quality alternative made in Malaysia because it was cheaper. I did this.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

And the other side of the coin  Lidl is a German Company, but in my local store the fruit and veg and meat  are far fresher than Tesco or Sainsbury and well over 50% is is marked up as of British origin
itsme
Grafter

It's because of the culture of Lild and Aldi that in a lot of the European Countries that they operate in they have to buy and sell locally sourced products, they seem to operate with the same principle in the UK.
Quote from: Oddball
An example would be a company who made a quality high specification quality product that was acknowledged as the best available being replaced by an inferior low quality alternative made in Malaysia because it was cheaper. I did this.

or you design a product and have it made in Malaysia partly because labour costs are less but I'm afraid to say they did a better job. I had far more technical and quality issues with the UK manufacturer than I did with the Malaysian one.
Community Veteran

Can't knock japanese cars either. The reliability is outstanding compared to some of Rovers cars (need i mention dodgy head gaskets?) and other english and french brands.
The japs build their cars to a higher standard. They have to have their equivalent of an MOT every year and if the car fails, it gets scrapped. No fixing, no retest, no appeal nothing. They test it and if it fails you wave bye to it and the testers send it off to the melting pot.
I'd like to see a certain french manufacturer go head to head against laws like that lol.
alanb
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
The japs build their cars to a higher standard. They have to have their equivalent of an MOT every year and if the car fails, it gets scrapped. No fixing, no retest, no appeal nothing. They test it and if it fails you wave bye to it and the testers send it off to the melting pot.

Whoever told you that must have been trying to have laugh at your expense.
The Japanese MOT is stricter than here, and it can start when the vehicle is only 1 or 2 years old, depending on the purpose and type of vehicle, but they do issue test failure notifications, and, you have an opportunity to repair your vehicle and get it retested. One of the ways in which the Japanese test is stricter than here is that the failure notification will tell you if you are allowed to repair the fault yourself, or whether you must have the repair done by a qualified mechanic who is also approved to repair MOT failures.
Community Veteran

Well I've not heard it from one place thats the point. I've heard it from many people.
David_W
Rising Star

It's all about history.  Way back before Thatcher strikes were common place, you'd go into work just to strike.  This led to a decline in competitiveness for the British industry (of course, my proof of this is a carry on film...).  When the shop floor was ruled by the Unions, cuts had to be made and it usually ended up being made in quality.  We see the same these days with the post office, bring in a machine that will increase efficiency at the cost of X jobs?  Can't have that, we'll go on strike, let us stick with the inefficient methods which cost more!
The car industry is one you can point to as an obvious one.  We had cars which were basically... junk.  Along came the Japanese with their work ethics and better production, better cars, better quality, compared to the stuff we were churning out the Japanese cars (btw, not Japs, that's actually a racist term used as propaganda by the Americans during WW2) were an eye opener but the Unions wouldn't let us compete with them if it meant a job would have to go.
We do have a major say in industry though, but it's more raw materials.  We produce the raw material which then gets sent to China who then turns it into a finished product and then sends it back to us.  It's cheaper to do it that way than to turn the raw materials into a finished product here.
These days our industry is small and focused, we do produce some world beating products, in some areas we are the world leaders, ironically one of these areas is in motor vehicle design, there is a place up North which produces the tech you see in F1 cars, touring cars etc. which go on to be used in every day vehicles, yet our actual industry is blergh.
We also can't compete on wages, a company can hire 4 people in China for the cost of 1 person here, maybe even more.  Quality is becoming a non-issue too, look at mobile phones, some of them have fantastic quality and that all important "made in China" badge.
tinto
Grafter

Quote from: billnotben
Don't you remember that previous governments decided that we are a service nation and the banks can make all the money the country needs. Cheesy

Not previous governments plural
A single government, led by the unlamented  Mrs thatcher as she was then.
Ain't it ironic that her successors Dave and Gid, have only just noticed that the manufacturing industries she destroyed, and which they fondly believed would pull the country out of the hole, gainfully employ all those wasteful public service parasites they've been putting on the dole, and at the same time save their own useless carcases, just aren't there any more.
Community Veteran

Quote from: tinto
Ain't it ironic that her successors Dave and Gid, have only just noticed that the manufacturing industries she destroyed, and which they fondly believed would pull the country out of the hole, gainfully employ all those wasteful public service parasites they've been putting on the dole, and at the same time save their own useless carcases, just aren't there any more.

Well said.