cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why guns should be banned

TORPC
Grafter

Why guns should be banned

[quote= http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2734769/Arizona-girl-9-accidentally-shoots-shooting-teacher-head-visit-range.html]The fateful seconds before nine-year-old girl accidentally shot her gun instructor dead with an Uzi: Video of child losing control of submachine gun after being told to go 'full auto' released by cops
Where was the sense that telling / advising a child it is ok to play with gun(s), then tell them to go full auto
I think the parent(s) should be severely disciplined in allowing his child to play with guns inn the 1st instance
32 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Why guns should be banned

The parent is dead so it's kind of hard to discipline him now
I see no issues with safe and responsible gun ownership.
Edit: Just read it's the instructor and not the parent who died. I don't see how/why the parents should be disciplined.
TORPC
Grafter

Have you heard the expression
Guns don't kill people, but people kill people
Guns & people do not mix
This was not safe & neither not responsible
They have always caused more harm than good, & as the recent events show, even under what was thought to be safe conditions
Therefore I call for a need to permanently ban them, for the public.
Edit:

Just noticed your edit
The parents should be disciplined for not being responsible & teaching their child(ren) that it is ok to play with guns
Community Veteran

I don't think giving a 9 year old a 9mm Uzi can be viewed as safe or responsible.
An uzi has no purpose other that 'entertainment' at a gun range. You would never use it for hunting or target practice and I wouldn't even class it as a gun suitable for self-defence. But this is America though and they have an unhealthy fascination with military grade weapons.
I've owned/used guns for about 15 years. I am confident to say I am a safe and responsible gun owner, and that I have never had any incidents or issues.
nadger
Rising Star

I held a Met Police, and later Herts Police, firearm certificate for several years and kept my Anschutz  match rifle plus 50 rounds of ammo at home - no longer allowed since Hungerford.
Initially that was back in 1968 when rules were more relaxed. This was a single shot weapon.
I agree that the Americans have an unhealthy love of weapons that should only be use on a battleground - they love to quote their right to bear arms.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the yanks though cant ban assault weapons in many places since there national guard are required to purchase there own weapon and hold it along with there kit at home, similarly with militias in some states (some of which own howitzers and other battle field weapons...)  the problem here though is one of age rather than anything else, nobody below the age of 12 should be allowed to use any weapon and only those of 12 and over should be allowed airsoft type weapons until there around 18 (at which point they can legally own a proper gun) yet most states refuse to restrict access on safety grounds based on age.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I used to shoot (a lot) and taught my kids to shoot and respect guns (air rifles and in a very controlled environment).
I won't encourage them or discourage them to shoot but I want them to have the respect and discipline needed if they ever come across a gun later in their lives.
TORPC
Grafter

No public should have access to guns, regardless of age
Of course they can't ban guns etc for the armed guard(s) etc however they are not deemed as public
If one has a fascination with guns weapons etc, then they should join the armed forces, when they are old enough to do so
Community Veteran

americans are addicted to guns.  A very sad obsession.
Community Veteran

@ nanotm - That's incorrect. The Army National Guard and Army Reservists are supplied with the same weapons as ordinary soldiers - they do not bring their own weapons. The weapons are locked up at the reservist/national guard centres.
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
No public should have access to guns, regardless of age

I disagree.
I have no issue with gun ownership as long as it's safe and responsible. The UK has very stringent laws on gun ownership. Illegal guns are a different story.
There are some professions where people need guns.
nanotm
Pro

the only reason I joined the army cadets as a nipper was because I wanted to learn safely how to the play with big boys toys, perhaps if the yanks had something similar they wouldn't have so many bad story's about this sort of thing, personally I don't see a problem with ranges allowing members of the public to fill an urge to play with such things but they should have a strict age limit that stops kids from being able to make such mistakes as has occurred here
@andy
in some states the individuals keep there individual weapon in their ready bag that they retain in their possession at all times, the only weapons held centrally are those of a unit type like heavy weapons, which used to be the case for all national guard members, its only when they go on a training base that they put their weapons into the armoury. this is out of readiness concerns rather than safety concerns, when the national guard gets mobilised to a rally point they are all able to show up in uniform with there weapon and a couple of clips without needing to travel half way across the state to pick up those items, further more they often have secure caches of weapons and ammo scattered around the state so that such lightly armed troops can resupply in situ (codes are given to them over the air as required) and the various national guard compounds are normally out of town they only require the few on duty pers at the compound to meet at the rally points with the vehicles which often take far more time to arrive than the majority of the troops. which is why national guard can be on station in under 30 mins for various measures instead of taking a minimum of 2 hours to be assembled at a rally point, other states prefer as you say to keep things centralised and this shows when crashing out the guard which takes significantly longer to achieve ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

I think this will answer your question:
Not sure where the other people are getting their information. But the Army National Guard and Army Reserves now receive the same equipment that the regular Army uses. The same standards for deploying active duty units is used on reserve components deploying on active duty missions (TO&E, readiness, personnel, equipment in working order, etc...).
Things have changed since Vietnam. The National Guard and Reserves don't just get left-overs. The reserve components are deploying on combat tours quite frequently now as well (almost equivalent in number to active duty units).
Each soldier receives the same personal issue as active duty soldiers (everything from body armor, sleeping systems, uniforms, NBC protective equipment, etc...). A weapon is issued (usually either an M16A2 or an M4) depending on if it is an Airborne unit or not. But the weapon (just like for active duty) is stored in an arms room unless being used. Any additional weapons (grenades, claymores, AT4s) are also kept in an arms room unless needed for missions.
So Guard and Reserve Soldiers take their personal issue home with them but not weapons (same as regular Army Soldiers in garrison)
Community Veteran

I grew up with guns, mainly shotguns, air rifles and a few .22 and 303s. By ten I could dismantle, clean and reassemble all weapons I had access to. I was taught correct handling, storage and use of all guns available to me. However, the one overriding lesson was that "guns are tools - look after them and treat them right and everyone will be ok".
As such, I feel confident in myself with guns BUT I get very nervous when someone else handle a gun.  Americans, and others, see guns as toys.
Community Veteran

The Swiss have an interesting take on this situation. There's a Time article here.  They allow citizens to arm themselves to be ready to defend their country.  Maybe it's an approach we should do in the UK given the army is about 0.2% of the population.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.