cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do we bother to vote

eve73
Dabbler

Why do we bother to vote

Just received election forms and I am wondering why we bother to vote, when the parties who get in never keep to their promises.
17 REPLIES
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Why do we bother to vote

because whilst the are all equally bad at making u turns
certain parties are far worse for the country as a whole than others, locally the libdems are generally decent but nationally there too wishy washy and full of half baked ideas to be great, labour are generally liars who ruin economies and come up with stupid laws no sane person would agree to
the tories are prone to going back on there word once they realise something is unworkable, but there far more likely to implement fair rules than to make stupid ones, no doubt the welfare reform is useless because of the law enacted back in 98 that no public sector worker will do a job that could otherwise be done by a private individual (hence why they use contractors for everything instead of having qualified people in house do the jobs) if only they had reformed the system so it utilised only state workers instead of keeping the current laws and contracting everything out to incompetents (like atos)
sometimes I despair at the short-sightedness of people who don't vote but I understand that not everyone feels the urge, hopefully the next election will see a blue revolution so there not getting hamstrung by the liberals at every turn, who knows they might even start the sanity review of the 3800 new laws past during labours time in office (a lot of it just needs straight up repealing and some of it needs completely re-writing because the premise is good but the implementation is lacking) 
I vote because I believe in democracy not that everyone will believe the same as I do, I also hope that liabour+milipeed don't snake there way back into the seat of power with all there false promises and thrust us all further into the depths of economic doom, there most definably the party of out to get our pockets filled no matter the cost to the people .....
just look at all the unions who keep causing strikes all in the name of getting a higher pay check for the union masters, several of them re-wrote the laws governing themselves so they only need a majority from the people present at the meeting not a majority from there union to force a union wide strike not something they were allowed to do before but labour the party for the workshy changed something in the unions charter allowing it to happen, all its done so far is bring a few companies to their knees and seen a lot of public outrage at the money grabbing over contract renegotiations every few years despite the current round of strikes being down to complaints over how labour left the country and the crazy pension laws enacted by Gordon brown that are tied into other laws that cant be changed, typical hamstrung liabor policies.
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
RichAllen
Grafter

Voting is pointless, regardless of who you vote for the opposition gets in! Like last year I voted Lib Dem, and even though technically they got in, it was in a coalition with the Tories.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Voting in public elections should be compulsory. Failure to vote should restrict eligibility for NHS and social benefits.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

I never got to vote in the last election as my postal vote was never authorised in time even though I applied for it many weeks in advance.
I was due to be in hospital around 60 miles away from my polling station at the time Sad

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

RichAllen
Grafter

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Voting in public elections should be compulsory. Failure to vote should restrict eligibility for NHS and social benefits.

Won't happen, and nor should it IMO, voting should be a choice.
Razer
Grafter

Government is tyrannical enough, let's not give them more to threaten and cajole people into complying with what they want them to do.
Fixes: 47

You could always pick the least likely candidate and vote for them as a protest vote.
Before you ask...no I haven't.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Cannot understand the Logic behind that statement.
Nanotm gives a few good reasons why people may not want to vote and I could think of many others.
The question is why do people vote ? A Few have vested interests but the majority of people are just gullible and believe that if a politician says they will do something or support something they believe in then they will vote for them. It's  similar to people getting sucked into scams where they are told for a small investment they will make loads of money, it's nothing to do with intelligence, the brightest of people often make stupid statements or believe what they are told.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Perhaps we should have a vote on voting  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

voting is compulsory in australia http://www.aec.gov.au/faqs/voting_australia.htm
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 47

In some countries it is compulsory to vote and you are supplied with the name of the candidate to vote for.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: PeterLoftus
voting is compulsory in australia http://www.aec.gov.au/faqs/voting_australia.htm
It would be interesting to know the percentage of rejected voting papers, no doubt most of these would be a protest vote against voting for anybody.
Community Veteran

@gleneagles, I've heard before about wasted ballot papers.  I don't believe in making voting compulsory but I've noticed the people who complain about what politicians do are those who don't vote.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I am not responsible for your government

Who said that?

me !  Cheesy