cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why didn't they just hang them and be done with it?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Why didn't they just hang them and be done with it?

I mean 20 year is way too lenient for a robbery that netted $11!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12091722
Let's see, Mississippi and they are black; I wonder if there was something else going on here?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
8 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Why didn't they just hang them and be done with it?

It's not the sum of money but the fact it was armed robbery.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Looking to see if they had previous convictions, I found web sites claiming that the their guilt was also doubtful.
Community Veteran

An unusual condition for release Undecided
Community Veteran

The US system of criminal justice is jam packed with very dubious cases of probably miscarriages of justice, even death row inmates, and for the most part, quite a large number of states just take the attitude "they must be guilty of something, leave em to rot/die".  My own personal view of the American criminal justice system in many parts of the US is no better than you would expect from corrupt 3rd world country, it is one of the most shaming attributes of the US in my view.
Community Veteran

the only reason the authorities are urging the release of these two is so that they can quit paying for dialysis for one of them.  it's cynical beyond belief.  if the transplant fails (and who's paying for that?) then who takes up the slack and makes sure the lass gets her dialysis?
Community Veteran

Hmm, good point, she'll be out of jail and no longer the concern of the state, so I guess, unless somehow she paid health insurance whilst in jail, she dies.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

another Southern Case cleared by DNA http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12115208
A man in the US state of Texas has had his robbery conviction overturned after serving 30 years in jail - longer than anyone in Texas cleared by DNA.
Community Veteran

Well it's good to see that Texas (of all places!) is getting its house in order, since the early 80's and the lurch to the right that the US took, many wrongly convicted people have languished in US prison and the courts and civil systems did nothing.  When I first (and indeed second, third, etc) read about it reminded me of struggling, corrupt 3rd world justice systems, and anything a country claiming to be "the land of the free" should be involved in.