cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did you move to Plusnet and will you stay?

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

Why did you move to Plusnet and will you stay?

I think Plusnet need to know and understand how and why they have customers as it will inform their future decision making.

For me, I was getting poor value for money from my previous Internet Service Telephone Provider  (ISTP).

I wanted better value and faster speed and Plusnet offered this (over 18months) at a lower cost and over 24 months (using the discounted yearly advance phone-line payment) around the same cost at my old ISTP, while upgrading from broadband unlimited to fibre broadband unlimited.  

Now, will I stay with Plusnet after two years, or will I seek belter value for money, when Plusnet don't give any welcome (or loyalty) discount?  ... well that is up to them Wink and the on-going service.

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
67 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Re: Why did you move to Plusnet and will you stay?

My main connection has been with Plusnet for around 14 years.  I originally came due to great reviews and a decent price.  I've stayed for a number of reasons including the community, great customer services (even recently), and they've always given me a very competitive deal when I've called at the end of my contract.

I manage a number of connections for different friends, family and organisations, not all of which use Plusnet. I've only come across one other ISP who I would say out performs Plusnet (in terms of the company, not my connection), and they are significantly more expensive.

Community Veteran

This is the main reason people leave. Apart from all the empty "we will fix it" promises.

Broadband prices penalise loyal customers

Yes you can phone up and get "special deals" with some providers but they don't match new customer offers.

Leapy
Aspiring Pro

So...It needs the customer to  contact Plusnet and have a conversation at the end of the contract to  see what they can do, by the sound of it? Maybe it should be Plusnet led and more pro-active and not re-active as the customer may have already decided to move to a discounted deal as a new customers, somewhere else?

The pub is two minutes from my home, although my home is two hours from the pub,
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

That would partly depend on what your communication preferences are set to.  If you have opted out (or is it not opted in?) to marketing communications then they can't contact you.  They have called me before now and offered me a new deal.  I don't know how often or who they call though

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

This is not an endorsement becuase I work for PN but I chose to have a PN connection because I was previously with Virgin Media.

With VM I was promised a 200mb 'super fast' fibre connection but it only ever reached about 60mb. This was a FTTP connection too! Every year the price would go up by about £3 - £5 and by the time I terminated my contract I was paying almost £100 for a 'super fast' connection that was not as fast as they told me it would be. Whenever I called to ask why my speed was so slow, I was told to just reboot my router and was told this is normal. Well that resolved absolutely nothing. Also, TiVo (at least at the time) was not all it was cracked up to be.

So far with Plusnet, as a customer:

• I received plenty of emails and text messages about my order process keeping me informed (it was a new line install so it was a long process). I was also able to keep tabs on this through the member centre.
  • When BT came to connect my phone line, the engineer called my mobile the day before to let me know what time he was coming (it was between 7-8am) so he needed to attach a new wire to my house and feed it into a place of my choosing.
  • About a week later, my fibre was activated around the middle of the day and I was instantly online (no more using the mobile data hurray!)
  • And finally, whenever I have a question about my connection or would like to see some stats, the support team here in the forums are top notch and have provided help when requested.

I don't think I have ever called PN as I trust the guys who frequent the forums more. I know a few members here who also share this sentiment.

Though I am staff, I am also treated as a customer the same as everyone else and I have no complaints so far (but I do realise that not all peoples experiences have been the same as mine but there are a lot of other satisfied customers out there that don't speak up as we all expect good service). I actually have no idea how to even check my own connection as I am a web developer and not in the support teams.

Maybe my only gripe is that the Hub One wireless is a bit spotty with my mobile devices sometimes but I can live with that as my laptop and desktop computers work fine over wireless. Might get myself an expensive router in the future but my wife has told me that I am not allowed to drop almost £200 on 'something we already have!' Funny

As an aside, I have Sky TV and the Q box they supply works great with my connection.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Leave Plusnet ?  WOT ?   not on your life... ! ! !  ha ha ha ... well, that`s what those senior managers seem to think customers will do...

Yup !.. been with PN for 10 years.. and only had a few gripes, mainly on behalf of the general public/customers... my connection has been good ... when it hasn`t .. a quick chat online and it seems to have got sorted fairly quickly.

my main gripe is....  ( going off the subject for a mo )... my wife and I frequent many "tea rooms" and "garden centre cafe`s"... where we get a little card that is stamped every time we have a hot drink... ( 6 stamps on the card entitles us to a free one )... well, three visits.. and we get a free hot drink, worth about £2.00..   5 in a month ,... thats £10.00   and there are 12 months in a year... that`s  £120.00.... and that is just from ONE cafe... we visit about 4 a week.. so multiply that £120 by 4.. and you get £480.00  discount per year..

Now what do you get from PN after a year.....

a BIG  increase in your charges...

nothing for being a "loyal customer " for 10 years...

crikey me...   come on PN...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We been here a decade too. Initially hated them because p2p was slower than on dialup at 300 BITS per second not bytes, BITS. Anyway we were tied in to a contract and so I gave up on using p2p. Good job too cos a month or few later they sold customers down the river to that law firm who started legal action against many. To this day ten years later I still don't use p2p.

The forum used to be quite stuffy back then too. It felt like it was full of grammer school boys and none liked me speaking about the way plusnet were operating. I frequently got insults from one well known member and the mods would stand idly by and allow it.

Then the broadband bandwidth limits increased which eased things a bit among many customers. The forum was still full of snout starers which nearly made me leave several times until I got friendly with a couple of others via pm who were also feeling the same. We eventually concluded that leaving would only give the stuffy ones what they wanted so we hung about just to oppose that. Good job too because today we have a very diverse forum with lots of new blood and very little stuffiness. I've seen many of the old grammer school boys soften up and learn to accept others and it has become a much nicer place than it was a decade ago. Now its my forum of choice and there are many knowledgeable people here who will help you such as @Oldjim who can help with many facts, figures and engineering issues.

It really is a lovely little community here now compared to the old days and you couldn't make me leave with dynamite.

The connection is pretty decent now too.. Plus I get on quite well with a few of the staff here so that helps too!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Joined PN in April 2002 and stayed. The only problems I have ever had have been with the OR network, and those have always been fixed quickly (ain't I lucky!). 

@shutter ..    I asked for a discount a few years ago and got one, and that has been applied ever since. I presume you have actually asked for a loyalty discount?

plusmouse
Rising Star

I joined PlusNet as a new customer only yesterday and admit that pricing was the motivation to switch from BT, who I feel are just becoming money grabbers with no loyalty for someone who has paid them increasing line rental and then for broadband services for 40 years! My broadband was about to go up by another £2.00 a month so would have been paying way over the odds for unlimited ADSL alone and £21.00 line rental on line rental plus. Now paying £7.01 a month with PlusNet for broadband, but just missed out on the £20 a month deal with cashback had I waited another three days before signing up online! Roll eyes

I find it very frustrating that when you feel happy with a service that the pricing then dictates whether we stay or leave and it`s such a shame. I`m on a fixed budget so can only really afford small price rises at best.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

if only people would pay the going rate for a service being provided to them rather than constantly trying to seek out a "deal".
that's why we have ended up with all these "new customer" offers, people whoring themselves about trying to save 3p a month (or whatever), and businesses whoring themselves about trying to get a new customer to make up for the 10 that have left to save 3p.

people have been pushed (dare say it brainwashed) in to the mindset that they are "owed" something for being loyal, yet they have zero loyalty when a greener piece of grass comes into view.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@nozzer Last year, my phone contract with "The Post Office" expired, after a 1 year contract.... and I asked PN if they could do the same deal, as The Post Office were offering me for renewal...  ( phone only )..  but they could not match that... however, they did come up with a very good deal, that included my BB ( been with PN for 10 years on that).. so I expect when my current contract with PN runs out, I will have to contact them, to prevent them hiking the price up.... 

BUT... there again... Why should I have to do that..?   surely, if PN want to keep me as a customer, ( already a long term faithful customer ). they should be offering me, the same terms, or better for a further 5 years or something...

Why should I have to get down on my hands and knees and beg them to supply me?

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

I have been here a good 7 years Wink  haven't had any major problems but still get the odd niggle so cant complain really.

The Main thing is i would say is Plusnet lack of completing their promises to improve , and still see too many

" Sorry to hear you have a problem "

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've been with PN for six years. I left my previous supplier because of an atrocious Accounts Department. I joined PN on a recommendation from a friend and because they seemed to be going places with things like FTTP, IPv6 and promised good service. The price of Broadband has never been a problem with the broadband services we subscribe to as a business. It has to be reliable and have good service when things are not right. We have a policy of dual vendor for telecoms where possible, and we split access between vendors. We do not use the PN telephony because it is expensive, particularly the "Call-setup" charges.

Last week I took action to move the one of our PN services to another vendor, and I suspect we'll gradually migrate all of our services. PN has lost the edge in terms of customer support. Keeping their customers waiting on the phone is an added expense to the customer. They've made no progress on FTTP nor IPV6, nor on their accounts system. Their bandwidth usage figures are effectively useless. It seems they decided the profits are larger in the route of mass markets and poor service.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

I set up a Force9 account at a company I worked for around 17 years ago and it all went well.

So when I decided to have internet access at home nearly 14 years ago the logical choice was Force9.

No regrets.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation