cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why bother with a smart phone?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Why bother with a smart phone?

At a time of aging eyesight I use a Doro 624 mobile phone. It has the relevant features, is easy to use and has a reasonable battery life - about 1 week.

However, I'm experimenting with NFC tags (close proximity wireless) for a project. It occurred to me that the best way of testing read/writing of the tags would be to use a modern Android Smartphone. The project involves other people using information on the tags.  So I coughed up the money to buy a Samsung Galaxy A3.

After using the new phone for a week or so, I'm convinced these smartphones are a great waste of space. Yes, it works well with the tags, but:

• They are expensive;
  • The font on the screen is too small to use, unless you fiddle about magnifying parts of the image;
  • The battery life is just a day or two;
  • The "keyboard" is too small;
  • Using them is a complex sequence of interactions;
  • Internet access is expensive;
  • They don't fit in a shirt pocket.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
4 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Why bother with a smart phone?

I am similar with my eyes , so i bought a LG Stylus 2 Thumbs Up  and as Shutter would say it comes with a handy Dobber

a needle with a rubber end Smiley

its a bigger screen than the A3 , and it fits my shirt pocket well half way in , i find battery very good 3-4 days

as for internet i get 3 gig with O2 but never got anywhere near the limit Smiley

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Don't know what you're on about - won't fit in a shirt pocket? - My medion is 5" screen (actually might be 5.5 but not sure) and it fits in my shirt pocket. The only reason i don't put it there is because of the weight and it pulls the shirt down so it goes in my trouser pocket instead.

Internet expensive? Depends on your network. Shop around. I'm with Tesco and get a good deal but i don't use the internet on it a great deal... but still never used my 2GB allowance in full.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

AlaricAdair wrote:

I'm convinced these smartphones are a great waste of space. Yes, it works well with the tags, but:

• They are expensive;
  • The font on the screen is too small to use, unless you fiddle about magnifying parts of the image;
  • The battery life is just a day or two;
  • The "keyboard" is too small;
  • Using them is a complex sequence of interactions;
  • Internet access is expensive;
  • They don't fit in a shirt pocket.

I'm with you on this.

I have 4x Nokia 106, XL fonts selectable, measured standby 6 days, and cost me all of £7 each two years ago, SIM free !!

Yes I have "Posher" phones, but the 106's are the ones most used.

Talk & Text, that's all I need most of the time.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

2GB doesn't sound much but that's what Orange offered me when they closed their Anytime dial-up service in 2007, and a speed of 2Mbps.  I didn't accept.