cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why aren't we protecting our kids

Fixes: 47

Why aren't we protecting our kids

Two recent cases of children meeting an untimely end.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-24111535
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-24145299
I love kids and it does upset me to hear about these instances.
The authorities say lessons must be learned so it doesn't happen again but we all know it will.
What's going wrong that we can't protect our children which should be a basic animal instinct.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
13 REPLIES
kmilburn
Grafter

Re: Why aren't we protecting our kids

The problem is,  short of full surveillance of everybody everywhere at all times you'll never stop incidences like this completely.
The cost of living in a free society is that sometimes bad things happen.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

No idea strat but something is very wrong.
That little boy who was starved to death.. the headteacher at his school said that had they known what was going on at home and the abuse he was suffering, they would of acted. Thats not really the point is it. No kid is going to tell a teacher they're being abused and no parent is going to 'fess up to abusing their kids either. The school can't rely on 'knowing' they must be looking for symptoms and a child rummaging through rubbish bins looking for FOOD is not normal. Not normal at all. It's ****ing sick that not one person at that school took the appropriate action of getting the police and social services involved. That school should be thoroughly investigated and the head and deputy sacked and barred from working with children again.
Children are children. They don't understand that being born might screw up their parents lives / dreams etc, they don't just wake up and decide "Hey I'm going to exist and be born in 9 months and be a pain for the next 18 years". People can't continue trashing their kids just for being alive and being a 'pain', it's ****ing sick the attitude some parents have.
I came from a screwed up pair of parents, one wanted nothing to do with me the other was twisted in the head and always scheming about how to do something while oppressing me from doing anything. Negativity was instilled into me and I was always at fault for something - I used to dread the postman bringing the bills as it was always my fault that the bills were expensive (didn't matter that my parent was ringing premium rate phone numbers every week amounting to £Mega, I was at fault if one phone call a month cost 20p!).
Some parents seem to get a kick out of making their kids suffer and backing them into a corner, I warn anyone out there now who treats their kids like that: If I ever meet you and see you abusing your kids in any way you will regret it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
anniesboy
Grafter

Yes its sad ,mistakes were made in this case no doubt.
I worked for a Social Services Dept. for 35 years,including many years working with Children and Families.

The cases where success of some sort is achieved are many but you dont / cant hear of those.
When I was working and someone asked me what my profession was ,the frequent comment I received was I couldnt do that job.
Community Veteran

As I understand it from watching the news part of the problem was the old ethnic one.
It's suspected that the social was treading carefully because of the race issue and also the boy spoke little English which made it hard for him to explain anything to teachers etc.
Though I don't understand why the bruises didn't speak for themselves.
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
As I understand it from watching the news part of the problem was the old ethnic one.
It's suspected that the social was treading carefully because of the race issue

I personally think thats a load of rubbish. The racism thing has gone too far in this country where white people are left alone because of a fear of 'racism'. Racism has always been victimisation based on the colour of someones skin. You never heard of anyone being prosecuted for calling an american a 'yankee', an australian a 'ozzie', a canadian a 'mounty', a frenchman a 'frog'. Likewise the ozzies call us pomms and other countries have their own names for us too. You do however frequently hear of race crimes being prosecuted for victimisation against those who do not have white skin.
These people were polish and white skinned. Racism had nothing to do with this.
and also the boy spoke little English which made it hard for him to explain anything to teachers etc.

More like someone thought it would be too much to find a polish interpreter.  Kids running round trying to find food in a BIN is not normal. No-one can excuse what has happened here with excuses of racism or not speaking english. The signs were clearly there for many people to see and now people are trying to defend it all with feeble excuses such as the language barrier and racism. I honestly can't believe it. You can find polish people everywhere in the UK it's not exactly hard to find someone who can translate.
Though I don't understand why the bruises didn't speak for themselves.

No doubt he 'fell' down the stairs a few times  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Quote from: Sprite
I personally think thats a load of rubbish.

You and me both.
What I really think is that government agencies have a book of excuses with race being the favourite one to fall back on.
When it's really their swords they should be falling back on.
Community Veteran

Yes exactly. If those in power fail in their duty they should pay the price with their job.
Coming up with all these BS excuses is not right. An innocent child is now dead because someone somewhere couldn't be bothered.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

it probably would have made little or no difference if the authorities had known. Sad but true.
My grandaughter and her friend started high school 2 weeks ago. on their fourth day, on the way home, they were attacked by 3 older,much bigger girls.the friend was picked up by the throat and thrown to the floor then punched -  resulting in being in kept in casualty for 8 hours, having scans etc. she has cuts over her eyes and concussion.
My daughter was thrown to the floor and kicked in the chest several times, causing bruising to chest.
The schools solution.... the victims are to change school.
The police are involved so I can't say much more.
Fixes: 125

We frequently hear that lessons must be learned but exactly how many lessons are needed...?
I must say that I sometimes find it extremely hard to read the reports about child abuse as the mixture of emotions it evokes (sadness, distress, anger) are often too great.
Having never experienced it myself I can only imagine what the children must feel. But often they don't know any different and it is simply the norm for them which, I think, makes it all even sadder Cry

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: doris
The schools solution.... the victims are to change school.

Roll eyes Always the way these days, the weakest / victims are the ones who are at fault and are seen as troublemakers.
I'm shocked that the workplace attitude of 'troublemakers' has now moved to schools. Thats just not right is it.
Community Veteran

The police couldn't look any worse, after it's now come out on record, that they were given a chillingly accurate warning by the father.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-24175639
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

and yet despite being told what to do the father did nothing
the authorities cant win in cases like that, if the plod had run round there they would of been accused of heavey handed policing failing cultural awareness issues and a whole load of other tosh.
the problem with political correctness kid gloves human rights act and equal oportunites are the moronic press and the tree hugging twerps in management positions, yet another case of a child dying and yet more "lessons to be learnt"
it wont change because it cant change without the problem reaching a certain critical mass of cases, there getting wrong (disasterously so in some cases) but not nearly so wrong as they did when a whole community was accused of witch craft/devil worship and every child was spirited away never to be re-united again with what were at the time completely innocent families who fell vicitim to liar that despised children ......
things could change but they wont do so until after the laws and policies change that require independent (non family) reports of abuse/neglect to support those of an estranged spouse.... or policies that allow alcoholics/drug abusers to retain custody of there child because its "probably a better life than in an overcrowded children's home"
more of thease sad stories will continue to crop up and I as a parent find them vile and disgusting but i'm also under no illusions about just how useless authorities are at sorting things out (it took 14 months to see a child rescued from such things near me despite weekly social worker visits)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

One major concern is the lack of communication between different agencies. If they shared information it might then be possible to come to a joint decision on the best course of action to take.
Those in charge and who are well paid should be required to set up the necessary networks to make sure information is available to other agencies.
Despite the numerous enquiries taking place after an incident we get the usual,' lessons have been learned' and ' procedures have been reviewed' but sadly we find the same or similar situations happening time and time again.