cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are we paying the salary of the Minister of Transport?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Why are we paying the salary of the Minister of Transport?

He admitted yesterday he was powerless in the sorting out of Southern Trains.

78 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Why are we paying the salary of the Minister of Transport?

Jobs for school chums 👍
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

As I understand it the unions have followed all the rules so the strike is legal. I guess if he took action then the union could take action against the government, get compensation and continue with the strike, indeed it would encourage them to extend the strike to other rail networks.

The answer is to change the law regarding strikes and I understand the government is looking at this.

If you are changing the law it's useful to have public support and there is little doubt that most people and in particular those who use southern rail would support a change in the law regarding this unnecessary strike.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

journeys wrote:

He admitted yesterday he was powerless in the sorting out of Southern Trains.

you can thank the unions for that.
unions really are the scourge of the this country.
too much power and run by people that are only interested in preserving their own cushy union pay packet.

sooner they are abolished the better.

Community Veteran

I also see that the Post Office workers are going on strike for five days next week starting Monday. So that's a nice long Christmas holiday isn't it?

Haha! Ticked off

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

I agree in part with @chenks76 on this as regards the unions they have far to much power, and tend to abuse it given the opportunity, if it wasn’t for them we might still have a coal industry; but that's another thread.

As for their abolition, I'm not convinced that’s the right thing to do as workers do need protection, but I suppose it could be argued that this protection should be part of normal government legislation.

But I do agree with their stance regarding a guard on a train, if a train crashes or derails this normally happens at the drivers end putting him at risk so at least if there is a guard at the rear they have a better chance and can take control of the situation for passenger evacuation, raising the alarm, etc. If the wreck is that bad that both of them are ‘unavailable’ then I’d say there would be little hope for those in between.

Community Veteran

The Post Office now! I blame nostalgia to be honest, with everyone harking back to the past it’s no wonder the world and their wives are striking, I wonder how long we’ll have to wait for the 3 day week!

Community Veteran

But I do agree with their stance regarding a guard on a train, if a train crashes or derails this normally happens at the drivers end putting him at risk so at least if there is a guard at the rear they have a better chance and can take control of the situation for passenger evacuation, raising the alarm, etc. If the wreck is that bad that both of them are ‘unavailable’ then I’d say there would be little hope for those in between.

More to the point, who is going to collect all the unpaid fares? The driver can't do it. Or do they just accept people travelling without paying?

Community Veteran

but are they talking about "guards" or "ticket inspectors" ?
trains on our lines here have no "guards", they do have "ticket inspectors" though.
as these the same? or are they two distinct things?

from what i understand is that a "guards" role is to ensure doors are open/closed properly, and for public safety.
"ticket inspectors" are only there to ensure fares are paid.

now, with modernisation, do we really need either of these on the train?
the DLR needs neither, and doesn't need a driver either.
Community Veteran

nozzer wrote:

More to the point, who is going to collect all the unpaid fares? The driver can't do it. Or do they just accept people travelling without paying?

see my previous post.
london underground and DLR seem to manage quite well without having people on the train.

Community Veteran

WhatHuh  No passengers?? Cheesy

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran

I do think that a Guard is distinct from a Ticket Inspector for the reasons you cite. But what’s more important the life of a passenger, regardless of whether they’ve paid, or the money for a train fair. As for the DLR I think the risk to this is minimal as it runs on an enclosed track and the chances or cowes or trees on the line is negligible.

Community Veteran

having a guard on the train isn't going to negate such a risk though.

IMO, this is just the union trying to keep people in a cushy well paid job.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Community Veteran

No I’m not suggesting that the presence of a guard negates any risk on any train, my point was with regard to the DLR, that doesn’t really need a guard due to the minimal risk it has running on an enclosed track.

But a guard on a ‘normal’ train where anything can happen from cows, landslides, trees etc then a guard may well be the key to saving lives in the event of an accident.

Community Veteran

well the trains up here don't have guards.
we are pretty much all electric trains, and they only have a driver and a ticket inspector (occasionally).