cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are pizzas expensive?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Why are pizzas expensive?

I held a pizza party yesterday for some friends. I'm relatively new to this type of thing, but was an expert in the eyes of my guests because I was two pages ahead in the manual. With the assistance of Google and Jamie Oliver I discovered for the first time how to make pizza dough. 

A 1.5 Kg bag of pizza flour costing £2 and four teaspoons of dried yeast, made enough dough for 20 medium sized pizza's. At the most toppings per pizza cost me 100p. Add in a bag of kiln dried hardwood for the oven at £2.50 and the guests were making their own wood fired, pizza's for about a £1 each. I was surprised how cheap and easy it was to do this.

A basic Pizza Domino's of the same size costs £11.50 collected. I don't see how they can justify those cost levels.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
23 REPLIES
Fixes: 123

Re: Why are pizzas expensive?

Rent, rates, wages, profit?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Steve
Pro

@AlaricAdair do you deliver? and would you sell me one for the price it cost you to make one? If so I will have a spicy meat feast one please, how long will it take to deliver?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Huh !.... how about a "Jacket Potato"... with some cheese grated over it.. and some "side salad"  comprising of half a tomato... ( cut in two to make it look more )... two ( at max ) leaves of lettuce, strip sliced .. ( to make it look more ) a sprig of basil  ( to make it look more expensive )... and a dozen or so sweetcorn peas ( to add some colour) ..

That`ll be £8.95p please sir.... Oh ... sorry... you wanted two ?   and some coleslaw on the side...  £2.00 extra each for the coleslaw .. total £22.00  ... did you want anything to drink, with that....? ? ? ?

No thanks... and stick your potatoes back in the oven for some other mug..... Bye bye..

( actual real life scenario, one day we went to a different place for lunch )...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

AlaricAdair wrote:

I held a pizza party yesterday for some friends. I'm relatively new to this type of thing, but was an expert in the eyes of my guests because I was two pages ahead in the manual. With the assistance of Google and Jamie Oliver I discovered for the first time how to make pizza dough. 

A 1.5 Kg bag of pizza flour costing £2 and four teaspoons of dried yeast, made enough dough for 20 medium sized pizza's. At the most toppings per pizza cost me 100p. Add in a bag of kiln dried hardwood for the oven at £2.50 and the guests were making their own wood fired, pizza's for about a £1 each. I was surprised how cheap and easy it was to do this.

A basic Pizza Domino's of the same size costs £11.50 collected. I don't see how they can justify those cost levels.

you forgot to include the cost of the building you live in, the cost of the electricty being supplied.
the cost of the equipment to make the pizza, and the cost of you to actually make it.

all you've done there is state the cost of the ingredients to make said pizzas.

so can you deliver me a pizza within the hour for £1? afterall, it's cheap and easy to do for £1 a pizza yeah?

The bonus of making your own is you know exactly what is going in it, you can source quality ingredients, make as much or as little as you want/need and, probably most important, it won't feel like cardboard when reheatedWink

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran

@Steve Yes I deliver, but only by Royal Mail 2nd class large letter. Wink  Delivery and cooking is extra. 

Community Veteran

chenks76 wrote:

you forgot to include the cost of the building you live in, the cost of the electricty being supplied.
the cost of the equipment to make the pizza, and the cost of you to actually make it.

all you've done there is state the cost of the ingredients to make said pizzas.

so can you deliver me a pizza within the hour for £1? afterall, it's cheap and easy to do for £1 a pizza yeah?

My pizza's are electricity free. The equipment is an old 55 gallon oil drum, mounted in cob. costing circa £20. So yes can do a pizza, for delivery see my reply to Steve.  No labour charges for the first one Wink

Community Veteran

Mav wrote:

probably most important, it won't feel like cardboard when reheatedWink

Yup, I got the oven up to temperature, then demonstrated how to build the pizza and how to cook it and turn it in the oven. I then turned the job of making their own pizza to those attending.  Their consensus view was that it was some the best pizza they'd tasted.

It's not complex to cook, has cheap ingredients to make better than your local Domino's who'd over charge you in return for your custom. By the way a 100 pizza boxes wholesale cost £8.99 ex VAT

AlaricAdair wrote:

By the way a 100 pizza boxes wholesale cost £8.99 ex VAT

I reckon that is what Dominos actually cookFunny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Instead of being a mug and buying pizza, why not make a pizza in a mug? Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

AlaricAdair wrote:
My pizza's are electricity free. The equipment is an old 55 gallon oil drum, mounted in cob. costing circa £20. So yes can do a pizza, for delivery see my reply to Steve.  No labour charges for the first one Wink

you compared your price to dominos though, so require it to be delivered within the hour, and i want to be able to pay for it online - so can you accept £1 for a delivered pizza of my choosing within the hour paid online?

i'll be wanting a cheese stuffed crust base, with 4 different meats on it, with free dip.
delivered within the hour, for £1, with payment taken online.
shouldn't be a problem for you should it?

Community Veteran

Pizzas - just fancified cheese on toast.

I much prefer the real thing. Easy enough to add a few thin slices of tomato. Or Worcestershire sauce for something more exotic.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

twocvbloke wrote:

Instead of being a mug and buying pizza, why not make a pizza in a mug? Crazy

That looks vile.

Did someone fail to get to the toilet in time? Shocked

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

chenks76 wrote:

you compared your price to dominos though, 

Chenks, how long have you been on this forum?  Do take the time to read what was written! "...A basic Pizza Domino's of the same size costs £11.50 collected...Cool