Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are image links set to download?

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Why are image links set to download?

I have noticed an annoying feature of the forum. when someone posts a link to an image on the forum instead of embedding it, if you click on the link it doesn't open the image it downloads it to the pc. I don't want to download the image, then find it and delete it. It makes me stop looking at people's problems on the forum (unless I forget and then get peeved).

17 REPLIES 17
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: Why are image links set to download?

@Marksfish Can you point me to a thread where this happens? The only time links are actually sent to my downloads folder are if people use .pdf files, and then only because I have turned Firefoxs' PDF reader off. JPGs, PNGs pop up a window suggesting I use 'Windows Picture Viewer', which of course I do, and they open without saving.

John
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

This is the thread that reminded me of my hatred for image file links (nothing against the poster by the way, just my dislike for the way the files are handled). Using Chrome, every image is downloaded when the links are clicked.

jab1
Seasoned Hero

It is Chromes behaviour - as I said, using FF, those links when clicked open a window suggesting I use Windows Picture Viewer - I click 'OK', and the picture opens, but does not 'download'.

Never used Chrome, so I don't know, but are there any settings you can adjust?

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Clicking on the first link... I get this little window....

image link.png

Which.... as you can see, offers the choice of how to "open" the image linky.... if you have checked "Do this automatically....... from now on.....".... you need to change that in your image/download preferences somewhere

You will also notice that my image is ( as you like it  [and me too !}) embedded...

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 31

@jab1 wrote:

JPGs, PNGs pop up a window suggesting I use 'Windows Picture Viewer', which of course I do, and they open without saving.

I get a pop up window suggesting I use "Photos (default)", which I do, but if I look in the Downloads folder they are there, and so require regular clearing out.

That's on Windows 10, but IIRC you're on Windows 7?

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
jab1
Seasoned Hero

Thanks @shutter - I was wondering about that, but maybe Chrome isn't intelligent enough to have that option?

John
jab1
Seasoned Hero

@198kHz wrote:

@jab1 wrote:

JPGs, PNGs pop up a window suggesting I use 'Windows Picture Viewer', which of course I do, and they open without saving.

I get a pop up window suggesting I use "Photos (default)", which I do, but if I look in the Downloads folder they are there, and so require regular clearing out.

That's on Windows 10, but IIRC you're on Windows 7?

You recall correctly, @198kHz . Another 'improvement' in W10, then.😉

John
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

@jab1 

It may well be a "windows setting"     in your preferences. as to "what to do with....... photos..... videos... images... CD insert .... etc ...

Also.. you will notice I use IRFANVIEW  and one setting  (during setup) for that, is to view all image types...

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

@jab1 wrote:

Thanks @shutter - I was wondering about that, but maybe Chrome isn't intelligent enough to have that option?

No it isn't. I haven't set them to download by default. Other sites I use open them either in a new tab or in Windows viewer (or whatever it's called now 😀 )

jab1
Seasoned Hero

Maybe, @shutter , but it's so long ago that I tuned this machine to my liking, I can't remember.

John
jab1
Seasoned Hero

OK @Marksfish - do you get any option? I recall that Khorus/Lithium 'tweaked' this behaviour, maybe 18 months/2 years ago, but can't remember what the previous action was.

John
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro

No option, just a new status bar at the bottom showing the download progress.

TheRoadCrew
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 8

@shutter wrote:

Clicking on the first link... I get this little window....

image link.png

Which.... as you can see, offers the choice of how to "open" the image linky....

Unlike Chrome / Chromium, Firefox will download to a 'temporary folder' location before opening files.

In my case:

waldo@chromebook:~$ ls /tmp/mozilla_waldo0
IMG-6595.jpg  IMG-6596.PNG  IMG-6597.PNG  nap175x010.wmv

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Marksfish wrote:

I have noticed an annoying feature of the forum. when someone posts a link to an image on the forum instead of embedding it, if you click on the link it doesn't open the image it downloads it to the pc. I don't want to download the image, then find it and delete it. It makes me stop looking at people's problems on the forum (unless I forget and then get peeved).

I also find that 'feature' annoying @Marksfish , so inspired by this thread I've just searched for a solution.

I came across the workaround near the top of the article linked below which is slightly less annoying but means you'll still end up downloading the files which will accumulate in your 'download' folder and will need clearing out manually.

It's fairly obvious, but more of a workaround than a solution.  The files download then open in your chosen image-viewing program.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/14952514/how-to-force-open-links-in-chrome-not-download-them

However, further down that thread (@ 22) there is an answer - a Chrome extension called 'Undisposition'.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/undisposition?hl=en

I installed it and tried it on the links in the thread you referred to above, and it seems to work just fine, i.e. opening images in a new tab without downloading them.  Smiley