cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are PN phone calls so expensive?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Why are PN phone calls so expensive?

My wife's close friend has just taken a job in Saudi Arabia. I thought one call was quite extended so in the dark of night I checked the online bill.  The duration was 34 minutes - cost £3.75. A brief "ouch" before I compared it with the PlusNet rate ....£20.50!!
Come on PlusNet - you boast about being low cost.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
10 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Why are PN phone calls so expensive?

Maybe you should enlighten her about Skype
nadger
Rising Star

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I'm in Saudi and Skype is the answer for family and friends Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 125

My BT bill was averaging between £50 & £70 for a while as my wife spent time speaking to her family and friends in Ukraine - and this was using various cheap call tarriffs from companies such as Telestunt, etc. (4/5ppm landline 7/8ppm mobile).
Now she is using Skype and my last bill was reduced to just over £20 Cheesy
I'm trying to get her to use one of those headpeices so I don't have to hear everything that's said - wouldn't be so bad if I could understand it all  Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

She's found Skype was a bit "wobbly" in the call quality and in this case is abut 3p a minute more expensive.  She had a very good line quality to Saudi with our supplier.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.

Actually, I wondered who was paying for the Skype and, although she opened an account, it seems she does all her chatting over Yahoo Mesenger - totally free.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: AlaricAdair
She's found Skype was a bit "wobbly" in the call quality and in this case is abut 3p a minute more expensive.  

Ours is rock solIid quality (we also do video calls) and I set up skype at both ends so calls totally free allowing for the broadband costs.
@mav I have a "Skypephone" which works just like a normal cordless and swmbo can take it in the conservatory or anywhere for privacy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra

Quote from: PeterLoftus
@mav I have a "Skypephone" which works just like a normal cordless and swmbo can take it in the conservatory or anywhere for privacy

We looked at that option but decided to avaoid that expense at the mo. I don't think that Yahoo is particularly good for video but SWMBO seems satisfied so I'll not rock the boat Wink

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
She's found Skype was a bit "wobbly" in the call quality and in this case is abut 3p a minute more expensive.  She had a very good line quality to Saudi with our supplier.
Skype-Skype is free.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Actually, I wondered who was paying for the Skype

I pay skype, normally about $20 a year. Although for a couple of years I paid around $5 per month for one of their 'plans' (world-wide calls any country, any mobile, any landline for $5 per month......also gave me all UK calls free (in the $5) including mobile and 0845/0870 etc).
When I want to "skype" a colleague I ring them on a normal landline phone, then arrange a 'Skype call'.
Skype to landline (anywhere) costs same as local call rate.
There is no VAT on Skype (I don't know why), I'd guess there should be.