cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why am I so 'popular'?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Why am I so 'popular'?

Opened up my emails earlier and it appears that there are a lot of Single/married and unhappy/Christian/Russian/girls/women in my area waiting to meet ME Cheesy
"Hold the cocoa Mrs...I've pulled"... Cool
So now in the the process of opening new email addresses for each person that has to contact me by email. The idea being that when someone passes my details off to an interested party that will provide me with services they may think I need, I can find out who the hell it is and get a tad angry with them.
The format is for Tesco eg  myemail.tesco@hotmail. for sainsbury  myemail.sainsbury@hotmail...  ad infinitum.
I can combine all these in one mail page, so very little difference in appearance,  and if I get spam to my myemail.tesco  email I will know that it is tesco to blame. Wink
Then I will start forwarding them back to the perpetrators.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Why am I so 'popular'?

I also have disposable email addresses with yahoo which are all linked to the same account. Very handy indeed. Gmail also offered a similar offering but it was useless as you just needed to add +random to the username and it would get through  Crazy
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

That's what I already do, that way if my e-mail gets out I know who I can report to the ICO.
Because I run my own mail server at home, I get the added bonus and wizardry of being able to automatically sort the mail in to folders based on the + identifier, with out me needing to set up a new rule or even make the new folder. (Although I do still need to subscribe to it in my mail client).
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Community Veteran

Quote from: avatastic
Because I run my own mail server at home,

What server do run and how advanced are the config options? I looked at using mercury but wasn't really happy as i wanted to be able to upload emails via http - nothing i've found offers this so in the end i had to write my own server  Crazy It works but obviously still needs a lot more to be up to scratch.
Community Veteran

Yet another reason for me to be leaving yahoo:

They've become very unreliable lately. I stayed with them for years because my account has been there over 10 years, they've always been online and the storage is unlimited. Unfortunately they are no longer reliable and this is why I must move. The message above is yet another new issue today.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: 7up
I also have disposable email addresses with ....

I too implement custom and disposable emails for both myself and family. This provides message forwarding and spam counter measures. I once received the lurve of Russian ladies too, but the email account used revealed a data breach at a well know UK company; I deleted the email account, and they had to report the breach to the ICO - Information Commissioner's Office
Sadly I meet many people who think they only are allowed to have one email address for everything.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Quote from: avatastic
Because I run my own mail server at home,

What server do run and how advanced are the config options? I looked at using mercury but wasn't really happy as i wanted to be able to upload emails via http - nothing i've found offers this so in the end i had to write my own server  Crazy It works but obviously still needs a lot more to be up to scratch.

I run Sendmail for SMTP, Dovecot for IMAP and then Roundcube for http access (and occasionally Horde Groupware when I want to see if the Exchange Server Emulation is behaving yet)
The-auto filtering is done by Maildrop and occurs after Sendmail receives the mail and before it the mail is written out to disk.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)