cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why a logout

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Why a logout

Anybody know why (and it just happened again) when I press the browser refresh button, I'm logged out of the forum?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Why a logout

What browser are you using? I experienced something similar with IE 8 but couldnt replicate with IE 7 nor FF.
Community Veteran

The current latest version of Firefox (3.0.4) but its been happening for a long time, and not just in the new update of FF (only a couple of days old) I just happened to choose now to query it.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

For what it's worth (if it helps track down the problem), I've not seen it happen in Safari.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Ive got FF 3.04 and XP sp3 - no problem, still on the same thread, but it did take me to the thread start
Community Veteran

The only difference with pierre is I'm on Vista (Home Premium) it happens on both my PC's but is very unpredictable. The thought occurs; that I don't have the "always logged in" option ticked, I assume.that auto-logout will only occur if I'm not active in the forums for a set time? Very occasionally I've noted that the "refresh" logout may happen two or three times in a few minutes, then settles down.
In truth, its hardly a serious problem, more of an irritation, which is why I didn't post it in one of the techy forums.
Edit; One other time I've noticed it happen, is during "reply" posting, when another post has from another member has been "send" at the the same time, when the red message "while you were typing another message" etc. etc. shows, this can lock the forum for me occasionally, the "send" button stays "greyed" out, only way out it seems is to either discard my reply by using the "back" button, or, cut/paste it and redo the reply, now this is quite rare, but is often followed by an un-requested log off.

N/A

My current set up: Vista Business Edition/Firefox3/Stay logged in box not ticked. Computer remains logged in after refresh.
Community Veteran

I'm using FF 3.0.4 with XP and don't have this problem.  I'll try it on my Vista laptop later to see what happens there.
paulby
Grafter

I'm using Vista and Opera 9.6 and also IE8 beta2 - I don't have that problem either but I also tick the box to stay logged on.
Is it possible that the time set in the box is absolute and not a taken from when you were last active? i.e. stay logged on for 60 mins means just that?
James
Grafter

I've had this problem, or something very similar.
I removed cookies, etc and it seemed to fix things.
Community Veteran

Correction; I've continuously used the "send" button instead of "post" sorry.