cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why? Why do people do it?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Why? Why do people do it?

There are times in life when you need someones help. Take for instance the car i've had sat on the drive for the last 3 years. I've had a few issues with it and has anyone really wanted to get involved? No not really. Thats fine, I can cope with that and get stuff done but granted it's taken time especially with bad health etc.
Then there are other times when you just really need people to keep themselves to themselves. Such as when you have a car that is leaking water into the drivers footwell via a leak you can't find. When you so called friends / neighbours know this why on earth do they suddenly think it's a good idea to give your car a blast all over with the fucking pressure washer?
Why? Why would you do that to someone? I've done nothing but try my best to help them with their motoring woes, lending them my socket sets, engine crane, trolley jacks, axle stands, angle grinder etc etc etc and thats how I get repaid? - They've known for ages that the damn thing is leaking and I've been out there almost every day for weeks swapping over towels that have been left in to absorb the water. It's not as if they didn't know. I really don't understand some people.
I am absolutely LIVID! Oh and then to top it all off the sunroof decided to spring open and refuse to shut. I know water has got into the switch but whether or not thats anything to do with it is beyond me. I spent 15 minutes trying to get the switch apart before realising I had a spare stashed away indoors. Thats sorted but I've now ended up with half a sack of wooden cat litter pellets under the drivers footwell carpet  Angry
The road to hell is paved with good intention.
Sorry or the rant people, I had to get it off my chest.
jim:red Avoidance of swear filter removed mod:end
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Why? Why do people do it?

Grin  you neighbours should have done this - Top Gear – water filled cars
(the longer version is here -
-o>
-o)
PowerLee
Rising Star

What car is it that's leaking?
There are plenty of known issues with leaks on cars, maybe someone on here could point you in the right direction.
Fixes: 47

With a Megané of mine water suddenly appeared in the passenger foot well one morning.
I dried it out and for a couple of days it was ok.
Then one morning it appeared again.
It had been raining overnight and upon investigation I discovered the drain hole for the windscreen scuttle was blocked and when it rained the area filled with water and ran into the heater through the intake vent and hence into the car.
Cleaning out the scuttle area and the drain pipe cured the problem.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Community Veteran

Quote from: purleigh
you neighbours should have done this be shot

Sorry just had to correct something threre.
@Strat I can't currently get under the scuttle to clear the bulkhead but I was also thinking along those lines although this is the drivers side so I suspect it'll be bad news if the leak is coming from there.. (like rust and a big hole!).
@PowerLee rare care, few know much about them so not worth mentioning. It's also far from normal in many quirky ways.
WTF
Grafter

Had a similar issue with a Passat years ago: also turned out to be a blocked drainage hole, though this time it was in the holder for the battery  Shocked
Took a couple of attempts before for the garage finally located the problem.  Meantime, it was the footwells for the back seats that kept filling every time it rained  Huh
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I cured a similar car leak once by drilling a hole at the bottom of the footwell...
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

There is so much stuff under the dashboard it makes it very difficult to see where water is coming in from, add to that the water may appear to be coming from one area but coming from another, for example it may run along a cable or wiring and then start to drip down.
I Had this problem and tracked it down to a gromit in the bulkhead where a cable came through and the grommit had just perished (ten year old car)
I Guess you will have already done the following,
Sheet of newspaper under the dashboard to see if the water is dripping in a certain place.
neighbour spraying a hose on your car whilst you are in it to see if the water is coming in through any obvious place
Neighbour shining a bright light into you engine bay at night whilst you look under the dashboard or use a mirror to see if any light is coming through.
Check every seal and grommit that you can see.
Good luck.
Community Veteran

Quote from: WTF
Meantime, it was the footwells for the back seats that kept filling every time it rained  Huh

Luckily I don't have wet rear footwells - the car has two support beams going across that are welded to the floor - water can't get past them and lucky too as the electric seat computers are there  Shocked
Quote from: w23
I cured a similar car leak once by drilling a hole at the bottom of the footwell...

Never! Thats one way of encouraging the rust alright!
@glen cheers for that, i'll give that a go!
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
Never! Thats one way of encouraging the rust alright!

Possibly, but I did make sure to prime and paint after drilling, used a centre punch too to ensure that the hole went 'downwards' and something like a 1/8" (3mm drill bit), I think the lack of standing water in the footwell actually reduced the corrosion risk long term, certainly stopped the carpet from squelching.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran

I still couldn't do it! There is actually a drain hole there but renault being renault have sealed them completely for some obscure reason  Roll eyes
Anyway I've just been out there to it and the wooden cat litter pellets have done a great job having soaked up all the water, turned into saw dust particles and then soaked up loads of water out of the foam under the carpet too which was sat on top. I was very pleased with that!
The only bad bit was having to hoover it all out with the dyson.. which would fill the cylinder to the top in about 3 seconds and then want emptying. I had to do that around 8 times  Shocked
More pellets in there now to soak up anything else thats left and anything else that comes in  Smiley
Community Veteran

Have you checked whether the air inlet box (the one for passenger compartment ventilation) is filling with water, on most cars they have a drain that can become blocked (I had one with a 'flattened' flexible plastic tube around 3/4" diameter - this stops it drawing air from the engine bay but lets water out like a sort of one-way valve - the flattened end had stuck together and just needed a wire coat hanger (toolbox essential) shoving through to unstick it)?
Call me 'w23'
Community Veteran

There isn't anything like that on this. The air inlet simply comes straight in from under the scuttle straight down to the blower motor - which has no rubber seal around it. The car pet on that side is dry so if it was leaking there I'd expect to see it.
I've broken two of these models up in the past including taking out the entire dashboard etc so I'm confident it's not on that side. It could however be the air pipes but they're up out of the way too so I doubt thats the issue.
There is a rubber gromet I stupidly pullet out when replacing the bonnet release cable moons ago. Now theoretically water doesn't go down there in the engine bay but the leak seems to be coming from that area and despite all my efforts I can't hammer the damn thing back into place. It can be hammered back in as i've done it with the panel that came out of the last one i dismantled but i have the rest of the dash in the way and the seat and until i can get the seat out.. I'm stuffed!
I really need some good weather too..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It would not be the first time I used Blue tack in place of a grommit and it seemed to work ok.
In my experience grommitts either harden up over time and become almost impossible to get back in or they go the other way and get porous, breaking up when you take them out.