Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why PlusNet?

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Why PlusNet?

We obviously pride ourselves on being open and honest, but what attracted YOU to PlusNet? What do you value about PlusNet and what makes us different from the competition?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
11 REPLIES
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Re: Why PlusNet?

I feel that the service given by PlusNet well surpasses any ISP I have previously been with, and I've only been with PlusNet for around a month. The open and honest aproach works for me in a big way, and I am a big fan of how active staff are in helping with problems both on and off the community forums.
Plus the fact that it's good value, and PlusNet don't hide behind those silly fair use policies.
johnmglen
Grafter

I started with Freeserve - didn't everyone  Wink then I was with Breathe, they folded.  I was then with Tiscali, they tried to rob me (in fact they did rob me), I then read about Plus.Net in a mag and the reviews were favourable.  That was ages ago (can't remember how long, maybe admin could tell me?) and I've been happy ever since.  Reliability is excellent apart from the BB+ problems not too far back - but PN put that right and credited those who suffered. 
The phone and BB combos seem like a good deal and I'm even on that now.  So, why Plus Net?  I suppose it's because when I switch on it's there, it's steady and it doesn't really have any wobbly moments - well not many anyway Grin
Oh, and the support is really very good too.
James
Grafter

Actually, a number of the staff here actually started at Freeserve, from an employer perspective.
Community Veteran

Perversely I joined Plusnet because there were people moaning about it in the forums. I spent about a month dipping in and out of them to see who was happy and unhappy about what. I also looked around other suppliers forums as well. Plusnet didn’t seem to try and shut folks up and did get on and solve punters problems where possible. I felt I could ‘see’ what I was getting. Believe me if you have ever had to deal with Sky or AOL tech support (I have had to for other folks) it is like getting teeth pulled to get a sensible answer.
Community Veteran

If I recall correctly, we (that is to say, my mother and I) signed up with PlusNet basically because they seemed to be the cheapest half-decent broadband provider available, and they had the little added extras (CCGI, MySQL, etc.) which I could make use of. I do recall seeing a fair amount of negativity in the ADSLGuide forums when we joined, but we couldn't afford to go with one of the more 'premium' providers, so we just bit the bullet and signed up. (This was five yeas ago.)
I think, personally, that the best thing about PlusNet is the community (and strongly linked to that, the customer -> staff interaction). If it wasn't for that I would have probably migrated away a while ago; I have frequently been tempted to migrate away to a more reliable ISP (now we can afford to) where e-mails aren't frequently being delayed, the MySQL server isn't frequently timing out, etc. etc... problems which, having experienced them for the past couple of years, have been quite tedious, and have caused me a few problems myself. But I like the community with PN, and it does a good job; for example, I reported a spam detection problem earlier in these forums, Bob investigated, and within a couple of hours it'd been fixed. That kind of thing I recognise is unique to PlusNet, which is largely why I'm still with the company. I just wish things wouldn't break so much!
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

Quote from: Be3G
I just wish things wouldn't break so much!

Me too!!!!  Embarrassed
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

I'm a refugee from Demon.
They have a call centre in India.
Say no more!

pjemmanuel
Grafter

Well, I started with AOL <shudder> back in the day where you had to pay a few quid every month just to be a member in addition to paying as you go while you were using them - all this in addition to the phone call to dial up. There was a brief period with Claranet (still a monthly fee, but no connection fees other than the phone call) before moving on to Freeserve. I was with them through PAYG - no monthly fees though, then HomeTime, then anytime and finally broadband. I was paying £27.99 for a 512Kbs connection, then they changed to Wanadoo and the new accounts rolled out - but I stayed on the £27.99 option because it was unlimited, and it always would be, or so they said. Then in 2005, they said, it's unlimited, but only up to 40GB a month - so I decided to look around, just on the principle (I don't think I've ever used 40GB).
    I encountered PlusNet first in the ADSLGuide Forums (now Think Broadband) and I liked the way that staff members were pretty active in there. Yes, there were a lot of complaints, but you always get that, several hundred people may complain, but there are thousands who aren't. I liked the way that the staff dealt with complaints, they didn't hide from them.
    The main things that attracted me to PlusNet once I'd discovered them were: -

• Unlimited transfer (OK, around the time I was signing up, the FUP was being put into place, then shortly after it was removed etc, if you've been around since then, you'll know the story).

• Free migration in

• The price. £21.99 per month compared to £27.99 at Wanadoo

• Free upgrade to 2Mb, or whatever my line would support. OK at the time it only went to 1Mb, but I'd just saved £6 a month - even if it didn't go quicker, I was still saving a few quid

• The added extras. Freeserve gave me 15MB of webspace and 2 cgi programs, and not able to add any more. Plusnet, wow, 250MB (still haven't filled it) plus CGI.

I've now been here two and a half years or so and I've seen some of the 'Incidents' that have occurred - most of which haven't really affected me, with the exception of the Webmail incident this year. However, Plusnet, from my point of view, gave me all the tools I needed to fix the result of that incident and return to normal mail levels again. I've rarely had to call on support, but when I have it's always been prompt and efficient.
      If I had to single out an issue which I've been disappointed with, it would be the cgi server. It's been ill for a while now - often slow, sometimes at a standstill, it's time another ZX81 was plugged into the array  Wink. It is often dismissed as a 'value added service' and as such has low priority but I feel it should be remembered that it's these very 'value added services' that bring in the customers to start with.
Simon_M
Grafter

It was quite by accident, but a happy one. I was using Freeserve Anytime dial-up & then in 2002 came across an advert for broadband from a company called Sonnet. They were offering exactly the features that I needed, so I signed up. Everything was fine for a while & then in 2003 they went bust.
That's when I discovered that the backend of the product had been supplied to Sonnet by Plusnet, because they offered to transfer in the Sonnet customers to a similar Plusnet product. Thus I ended up on 'ADSL NetStart Self-Install Annual Contract - up to 2MB' & I'm still on it today, except that it has now been 'maxed'.
It seems difficult to believe that it was only 2003. It completely transformed the way I do business & has changed so many things, it's difficult to remember life before broadband. It happened to coincide with a lot of other changes that were happening anyway, but the way we then structured the business would have been impossible without broadband.
grimme
Grafter

I'm glad to find someone else who suffered at the hands of the Sonnet (Affinity Internet) closedown and went on the Plusnet network.
We were on ISDN Business account with them at the time and although the holding pages suggested signing up with Breathe (if I remember rightly), we preferred to choose our own alternative and Plusnet seemed the best offering at the time, mainly due to the number of mailboxes allowed under the account (most limited to 10 at the time) and the active forum discussions!!
N/A

A BBC Radio Sheffield lorry parked up in a village near to us in Rotherham.  If I remember correctly it was promoting/educating about IT and computers.  When I explained my very basic knowledge and Internet needs, a gentleman gave me the telephone number of Force9 and advised me of the dialup light plan at £5 a month so I signed up.
Does anybody remember these lorries and was there some tie-in with Force9?
Also, living in South Yorkshire, I wondered what percentage of PN customers come from up north. Anyone know?