cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Not Licence These Lasers?

Fixes: 125

Why Not Licence These Lasers?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8454318.stm
As well as the new law, police are also trialling equipment which allows them to record details of the laser beam.
The CAA said that this is unique to each device, similar to a fingerprint, so will make it easier to prove who was responsible for the attack.

As the culprits can be  found so sentence them harshly as this is an extremely dangerous pastime which could result in the loss of many lives.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

15 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Why Not Just Make These Lasers Illegal To Own?

And what do you suggest that people who own these for a perfectly valid and legal reason should use instead?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)

Can't see a valid reason for using them to be honest.
How about using a ruler?
I had one shone into my eyes when emerging from a side road from a passenger in a passing car. Apart from temporarily blinding me it hurt and it was several days before my vision was fully restored.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Wasn't there something in the news recently about using them at football matches to blind the ref or goal keepers?
Lurker
Grafter

I use one to make it easier to drill holes in a straight line.
Clearly - I should become an outlaw...
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
Can't see a valid reason for using them to be honest.

http://www.onbrightsky.co.uk/
How would one go about using a ruler to point out stars, planets and constellations to a large group of people using a ruler (which couldn't be seen in the dark anyway)?
That is the original intended purpose of the devices.

How did we cope before the technology came about?
There are times when advances in technology aren't neccessarily a good thing - could this be one of those?
People can legally own guns but they are controlled (to a point).
As with guns there will always be those that go out of their way to own such things but they need to be made less available generally.
I realise that there are many legally owned machines, gadgets, etc that can be used neferiously but the danger to aircraft as well as the eyes of innocence needs to be addressed.

Community Veteran

Absolutely - and that is what the news article was about - making it easier to prosecute when they are used inappropriately.
You titled this topic "Why Not Just Make These Lasers Illegal To Own?" and I've given you a very good reason why not.
By your logic I suppose you advocate banning everybody from owning shot guns - including farmers who have very valid reasons for owning them.
Lurker
Grafter

Perhaps we ought to ban knives too.
Community Veteran

Yeah - people have been killed with knives from ordinary table cutlery sets. Ban the lot, we'll just have to go back to tearing food apart like cavemen!

Having had first-hand experience of the effects of one of those guns pointed at my eyes I am biased against them.
There are various laws that deal with the carrying of knives, guns and other potential weapons so why not for lasers?
There is absolutely no reason for the average man (or woman)-in-the-street to carry one just as there is no need for him to carry a gun, or knife.

Lurker
Grafter

Mav - you are talking absolute nonsense.
You keep pointing out that there are laws to control guns and knives, yet for some reason believe a blanket ban on another useful tool that has the potential to be misused is the correct thing.
Why not simply advocate the current state of affairs, or lobby for strengthening on elements of current legislation, rather than leap in with a 'two legs bad' approach.

I stand by my statement
Quote from: Mav
There is absolutely no reason for the average man (or woman)-in-the-street to carry one just as there is no need for him to carry a gun, or knife.

I have nothing against the proper use of these lasers as tools same as I would not want a blanket ban on guns, etc. but there must be more legislation as to their use and who can purchase them.
I have changed the header to reflect this.

Community Veteran

Re: Why Not Licence These Lasers?

There is a legal limit to the power output of handheld laser pointers - above this level and they do have to be licenced
It's another case of 'ban the tool, not the use' which similarly applies to things like P2P software.  I'm opposed to banning or licensing them in any way.
B.
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Why Not Licence These Lasers?

I'm not sure banning them is a good idea, but I also think they should not be so readily available.  I'm not sure you can find a shotgun on Ebay but for pennies you can get a high powered laser pen, over 680 currently available, one can see for 800 meters.  The problem is the ease of availability of the devices which can do harm, the gun is a terrible analogy as they are not readily available to the average thug, and not sure a shot gun would do much good firing into a cockpit almost 1km away either.
Ban ebay from selling them for a start, and only allow licensed sellers to supply them, and you have to have a good reason for why you want to buy one too.  The issue then would be though, control of the devices, people leaving them around so they get pinched, no one in their right mind would leave a gun on a desk but a laser pen that can bring down a jumbo?
Tricky, banning them, no, some form of control and who can purchase them, most likely.